Game of Death: Game Over! - New book on GOD by best-selling author Joe Kenney

Guest mpm74

Guest W Hong

On 9/23/07, the "uncut" version of Bruce Lee's "Game of Death" will be shown at the L.A. Comic Book and Sci-fi Convention. This sounds like what I already saw before at this same L.A. CBaSFCon. If it is, then this version of "GoD" was mostly outtakes of Bruce, Kareem, Dan, and others in some famous scenes. If there was some kind of Korean martial arts actor in "TGoD", then I think that this version includes him also.

So if this upcoming showing of TGoD is the same as what I already saw, then this uncut "GoD" should be about an hour long. unless this unedited footage is already available on a Japanese DVD box set, HK Legends, etc., then this would be one of the few ways to watch the footage.

Guest Squid Lips

I can imagine the footage is just an edit of the outtakes. I have the full 90 minutes and since much of it is pretty redundant (take after take after take....) they probably cut some stuff out to make it more palapable at 60 minutes.

Guest stormybman

Listen up KFF members. We for the most part feel the upcoming "remake" of ETD is a bad idea, however, how about remaking GOD? It's the one project that never correctly saw the light of day due to the most unfortunate circumstances.

If this film could be remade, who would you like to cast, star, direct, choreograph, and what film co. would you like to see bring it to us in it's splendor? Bare in mind, this would be the story Lee wrote, and his ideas brought to light...

Also, since nowdays we have UFC and extreme combat tourneys, the original GOD concept fits nicely in what we see regularly.

After hearing some of your responses, i'll list mine... they may surprise some of you. ;)

"Do we fight alone..? Or, all together?!"

Guest Markgway

THE REAL GAME OF DEATH

Written, Produced & Directed by Uwe Boll

Starring:

Ashton Kutcher as Billy Lowe

Chris Tucker as Cream the Jabber

Rance Howard as Gene Dagger

Dan Inosanto as Himself

Steven Seagal as Fat Sam

Pauly Shore as Chewy the Biker

Burt Reynolds as Karl Wall

Corey Feldman as Donatello

and

Jenny McCarthy as "Sugartits"

Rated R for Rancid.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Seems like Mark is thinking of a cast to make National Lampoon's Game of Death. :lol

Well stormy, if someone would do a remake of Bruce's script for the original Game of Death, the first thing to consider would be who would play Bruce's role? It would have to be a top level martial artist of today who could really do some spectacular things on film, I'd say someone like Tony Jaa. Then you would need to find some highly skilled opponents, each playing a master of a certain style or method. Then some very good actors for a supporting cast. I think it definately has the potential to be a great remake if done right. What are some of your ideas or suggestions stormy? Come on, don't be shy. ;)

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I think they should get rappers to play all the parts. Because, you know, they make such good actors.

In all seriousness, though, I think it would be hard to remake this film, considering it was never really made in the first place, and it's pretty clouded by rumour and mythology.

Mmmm.... Sugartits.

Guest ben785

It depends on how developed the original script is. Maybe they might need to add a few bits and pieces here and there, but for the most part if it is based on the script and Bruce's original ideas compared to the rubbish that was officially released.

In terms of actors, it depends. I think some of the original contenders for Bruce's vision are still pretty active in martial arts and could still fulfill the roles. Dan Inosanto is still pretty full on with his training and teaching. Even Hwang In Shik is still very active in his Hapkido academy in Canada. As for somebody to take on Bruce's character, and his supporting actors, I'm not too sure, but I have no doubt there would be some contemporary actors who could fulfill the roles, as long as the movie isn't blatantly marketed and directed as NEW BRUCE LEE NEW BRUCE LEE NEW BRUCE LEE.

Guest pressureworld

This film has it all veterans, newbies MMA, Kungfu. In my version this is Donnie Yen's breakout role. I don't know about the script but I sure as hell know about the cast, it would include all kind of fighters, hell I would even throw in Kevin Garnett for Kareem's role and Chuck Norris is a must for camp factor, plus he's old school and can kick ass. My version is choreographed by the legendary team of Sammo Hung & Jackie Chan The only person missing is Franco Nero btw can you imagine Sho Kosugi being choreographed by Sammo in a big budget film, now that would be some serious @#%$.

Donnie Yen (the star)

Jet lee

Kevin Garnett

Tony Jai

Chuck Norris

Xin Xin Xiong

Royce Gracie (in his film debut)

Matt Lindland (film debut)

Chin Siu Ho

Sho Kosugi (his big comeback)

Roy Horan (comming out of retirement just this once)

Phillip Ko (I always been a fan of this guy)

Guest stormybman

Now we're getting somewhere. I've actually pondered this question in detail going back about 5/6 years ago, around the time of the release of A Warrior's Journey.

First, let me start by saying my pick for Director would be Ronny Yu. He proved to me he could handle respectable Martial spectacle with Fearless, The Director's Cut.

The film co. I would like to see release this would be Sony Classic Pictures, since they marketed Crouching Tiger so well.

My Action Director would be Sammo Hung, who's experience of learning styles to teach them to his actors on set is Legendary. BTW, if he can make Leung Kar Yan look like he did in The Victim, we'd be in for a treat.

Now for my cast, from the smaller roles, according to Lee's notes, to the central figures and star:

The Korean Crime Boss: Choi Min-Sik (from Old Boy)

James Tien's role: Jacky Wu

Hai Tien's sister: Maggie Q

Hai Tien's brother: A noted Asian child actor

The four accomplices for Hai Tien:

Chieh Yuen's role: Kane Kosugi

American#1: Scott Adkins (Undisputed II: Last Man Standing)

American#2: Jason Statham

Drunken Locksmith who unlock's the Temple: Anthony Wong

The Temple Guard(s) outside the Pagoda: Bolo Yeung & and various stuntmen

Inside the Pagoda:

1st Level: Hiroyuki Sanada (Kicking Expert) Imagine working with Sammo!!!

2nd Level: Colin Chou (Praying Mantis/Elements of Wing Chun)

3rd Level: Tony Jaa (Thai/Phillipina/Escrima/StickFighting)

4th Level: Yuen Biao (Grappling/JointLocking) :would definately shine at this with Sammo's direction!

5th Level: Nathan Jones (in Jabbar's role)

The war veteran who saves Hai Tien according to Lazenby: David Morse (Double Vision)

The student of Hai Tien: Aaron Kwok,

and lastly, in his break-out role, one he's coveted his entire career...

Hai Tien: Donnie Yen

The talent behind this production would not only do justice to Bruce's idea, it would bring the Martial Arts film back to the forefront of modern day action cinema. I don't believe we could be any happier with a stellar production such as this.

We have a nice mixture of old school guys along with those who could take us into the next generation...

Let's get it done guys... 8)

"Now you listen to me... I'll only say it once..!! We are NOT sick men!!"

Guest shukocarl

I hate f****ing remakes...hardly ever as good as the original.

This Enter the Dragon remake will be sh**e. As for GOD...well it was mostly crap to start with (and so was John Little's version- supposedly Lee's). Basically it's been done to death, let it lie....

Guest edher08

Well, im agree with almost everything Stormybman said. Specially about Sammo Hung as the Action Director, you share my vision, i think he's the one for this particular job. Also Donnie Yen, he not only is the best for the role but also i feel he deserve it more than anyone. Choi Min Sik for the Leader of the Gangsters? GREAT Choice.

Now, im not agree with some of the character choices for the floor guardians:

Chieh Yuen's and American's roles: Kosugi, Statham and Adkins will be wasted in this roles. Kosugi and Adkins are too darn good to be wasted like that. Besides, i doubt Statham will take this role since its a really minor one. I think this roles could be performed by 3 up and commers to give them a chance to prove themself.

Level 1: The Kicking expert, i think it should be played by that korean guy who was the bad guy in Operation Scorpio, don't remember his name right now but I remember how bad a$$ kicker he was. Or you can put Kane Kosugi here, he's a great kicker as well. Does Van Damme sound good in this floor?? lol

Level 4: Grappling/Joint Locking expert, why not Wang In Sik? I understand he's still active in his Eagle Hapkido School in Canada. Plus he's the student of the master who played the part in the original. You really need someone who have a flowing technique here. A Hapkido or Jujutsu or Aikido expert. Hmm Steven Segal?? LOL

Level 5: Nathan Jones?? Hell No. lol Now the idea of the last floor is to have the "unknown" style of fighting. I don't think it needs to be a big muscle man who can't move. Maybe here we can have Scott Adkins!!! using some sorth of MMA style like he did in Undisputed 2. Or even put a MMA fighter like Chuck Liddell or Mirko Crocop, someone who's big enough and can move well.

bye.

Guest TheDrunkenRabbit

Did the actor who played one of the last 2 fighters along side of Bruce (Chieh Yuan) ever act in any other martial arts films? I have never seen him before in another movie. Just wondering, cuz I saw G.O.D again 2 days ago.

gameChiehYuan.jpg

Guest chen lung
Did the actor who played one of the last 2 fighters along side of Bruce (Chieh Yuan) ever act in any other martial arts films? I have never seen him before in another movie. Just wondering, cuz I saw G.O.D again 2 days ago.

gameChiehYuan.jpg

...died shortly after 1972 filming finished (?). I donno if he was in anything else.

... was a bit player/stuntman with the Shaws for a duration before starring in G.O.D. He can be seen in productions such as Kingboxer (he was a tournament opponent), Water Margin ( he was one of the two men David Chiang wrestled in the opening moments, and Kung Fu, The Invisible Fists (he played Kurata's Japanese assistant). I hope this info helps. :cool:

Guest Markgway

Probably doesn't mention GOD because Chieh Yuan never appeared in the finished film (only the outtakes). He died before the 1978 additional shooting so they cut his character completely.

Guest Killer Meteor
Probably doesn't mention GOD because Chieh Yuan never appeared in the finished film (only the outtakes). He died before the 1978 additional shooting so they cut his character completely.

Yeah. HK Cinemagic has a seperate listing for his appearances in various GOD related documentaries under the name Cheih Yuen, which is what Warrior's Journey called him.

Guest Markgway
Yeah. HK Cinemagic has a seperate listing for his appearances in various GOD related documentaries under the name Cheih Yuen, which is what Warrior's Journey called him.

That's an obvious mispelling.

Yes indeed. So, i just addedd the Gai Yuen alias "Chieh Yuan" and i put a brief appearence in "Warrior's Journey" documentary.

PS : hello everybody from France ;)