Movies in the same vein as Last Hurrah and Duel to the Death

dragonherb

I was supposed to do a thread like this one year ago on ezboard but I don't know why I didn't. Oh well, now's the time :)

I need some help to find wuxia-movies which can be considered to be in the same sort of vein as Last Hurrah for Chivalry and Duel to the Death. I know that these two movies aren’t the same on all levels but they do have a few things in common, if you’ve seen one or both of the movies in question you will pretty much know how to recommend me titles I hope, and that I will highly appreciate!

I posted this in the Classic Kung Fu category since LHFC and DTTD belongs here, but I would love to see Shaw’s being mentioned if they are qualified to meet my specific requests.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for helping me out on this guys, I wasn’t expecting that 6 movies was going to be mentioned already and it'll be a pleasure to check them out!

It's interesting to note, these two films you mentioned, Last Hurrah..., and Duel..., are quite similar in theme however, I think that's why not many more were made by GH along those lines. They didn't prove to be very successful at the Box Office. The Sword with Adam Cheng is very much like Duel, even with Tsui Sui Keung as the baddie. (Great ending, btw!)

I tried to raise the issue of these "Heroic Swordsman" type filmfare in the GH section here, but not many cared to respond.:(

Even though Shaws were head and shoulders above the other companies, it's still nice to show appreciation for those same studios. I would like to see/hear more comments and questions raised like this...

kungfusamurai

Last Hurrah is similar to the other swordplay films of the late 70s like The Sword, but it leans more towards the kung fu genre, I found, as opposed to strictly wuxia.

Duel To The Death, to me, is comparable to all of the 'flying' swordplay films of the early 90s. There's a ton of those kind of flicks, everything from The Swordsman to Dragon Inn.

KFS

Last Hurrah is similar to the other swordplay films of the late 70s like The Sword, but it leans more towards the kung fu genre, I found, as opposed to strictly wuxia.

Duel To The Death, to me, is comparable to all of the 'flying' swordplay films of the early 90s. There's a ton of those kind of flicks, everything from The Swordsman to Dragon Inn.

KFS

Yeah I agree, the fight that leads up to Lee Hoi-san becomes strait up KF in Last Hurrah, Lee Hoi-san character Pak is insane, one of the great screen villains ever.

I feel DTTD's wire-fu action is some of the best around, especially for the time it was produced. Some other productions that came later, with bigger budgets didn't fare as well.

The story also allowed the action an appropriate background for the super feats of the warriors.

Never liked the action in Duel To The Death much at all. I tried to like it, checked the film a whole bunch of times to try to get into it, prove myself wrong, but it just feels too shoddy to me, really not feeling the handling of the choreo/editing/upshot spliced trampolining/cuts/wires, etc. in it. The setpieces on the other hand are great, just don't like the way the action within them is handled. Think Shaws were doing far better ott choreo around this time, Lu Chin Ku, Tong Gaai, etc.

ironfistedmonk

To be honest I hated Duel to the Death the first time I saw it, I was a shapes man back then and any amount of flying or crazy shit just put me right off a movie. But after delving deeper (much deeper!!!!!) into the genre and watching the film again a couple of times I have grown to really like it. I have to disagree with you Peri that this period is where the Shaws were on the way down and other companies were putting stuff out which made them look outdated.

I'm with The Dragon it's some of the best around, I can't think of another wire fu movie better than DTTD. I'm gonna state for the record that I don't like wire fu at all but DTTD just has a certain style about it that makes it stand out above all those that followed.

Now Last Hurrah For Chivalry is my favourite swordplay film of all time, probably for the reasons stated by previous posters that it does lean more towards the kung fu stylings than most swordplay films while mixing the usual jiang hu codes of honour and loyalty with John Woo's bonds of brotherhood.

TBH I can't think of any better movies than these, some other movies you might want to check out not just for their rareness but also cos they have some cool action in them are Sword of Justice and Flute Player of Wrath. They are both more traditional in their style of delivery of swordplay movie themes but both well worth a watch

I have to disagree with you Peri that this period is where the Shaws were on the way down and other companies were putting stuff out which made them look outdated.
I don't know why everyone always says this, ok, I understand maybe commercially they were becoming somewhat redundant, perhaps public interest had waned, and of course typical stylistic niches and techniques were long formed and forseeable, productions slowed and the place essentially shut shop, but quality wise Shaws were still more than regularly hitting the right notes in the '80s. Why did Shaws close definitively? Shit, '80s Shaws are far and away my favourites usually, definitely choreo wise. Come on: Human Lanterns, Tiger Killer, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Martial Club, Bastard Swordsman, Lady Assassin, Five Element Ninja, Men From The Gutter, Shaolin Prince, Shaolin Intruders, Gang Master, Master Strikes Back, Bewitched, Boxers Omen, etc. High class product.

What and who made any of these films look outdated? Because Jackie and Sammo, were doing good product at this time, Hark, Ching Siu on the rise, etc. and different to Shaws are you saying the Brothers' flicks were less relevant other than commercially?

Show me a better shot modern HK film cinematography-wise than Men From The Gutter, something more demented than Boxer's Omen, a kung flick more intense than 8 Diagram, a kung horror better than Human Lanterns, a period drama better constructed/acted than Tiger Killer, a kung flick with better all out ninja madness and opera inspired kung than Five Element, a comedy with more martial message than Martial Club, more elaborate large orchestrated choreo set-pieces than Shaolin Intruders/Prince, etc.

Shaws were regularly smashing things, if not box-office receipts. Sure they unsuccessfully sometimes tried to assimilate GH and other elements into their work, and the films despite in the trend of Shaws establishments, were different to before production wise, with different emphases, but some of their best product imo. Some fucker put out HK Godfather already.

Also Ching Siu, is no Tong Gaai. Not at this period.

Peri., it's comng down to what your personal preference is, according to your comments. I do not believe the subject is whether you like it, however, recommended viewing for someone who has experienced films in that vein. We all have our personal favs, but what you or I may like, the next person may think it's crap. Opinions differ, but to give an honest accessment, you have to think in a broader sense. These films were better than they were given credit at their release, and in time have grown on many a viewer. I had never seen, but had always heard of Bastard Swordsman I&II, and they are not my cup of tea, however, I ordered the IVL's, and totally enjoyed both.:) When they were originally released, I would never have viewed them because I was sooo high on Bruce Lee for years, and learned to love other films from the genre. If I can adjust, anyone can!

bruce_lee2small.jpg

I don't really understand what you're saying, Dragon? I'm a bit knackered and somewhat brain-melted, so forgive me if I've spun on a misunderstood tangent, but here goes... My point was not concerning recommending DttD to anyone, or similar or flatout dismissing such or any; for example I would recommend the afforementioned regardless my thoughts. Try everything; point out similarly styled works for consideration. Earlier point, perhaps in part understated, was I think DttD is a good film, I like it, nutty flying about stuff is a niche I usually love amongst many others, nice setpieces, just really don't think the choreo's that great in it, moreso (and perhaps slightly redundantly as it stands to be appreciated on its own ambitious merits; they still show; regardless) considering what was going on at the time. Think Ching Siu Tung had yet to evolve this style properly for him; embryonic, and I think it shows. Like he'd thrown out most of his previous shapely workings to go somewhat unassuredly afresh to rescramble the drawing board, rather than evolving fully anew the incredible talent he'd shown prior. Had more potential; wasn't great. Really not much of a lover of The Sword either tbh, but would recommend it in this instance, sure. My second point was as to why do people rag on '80s Shaws not being too hot. I think they were burning at the time, regardless what they'd done before, or other happenings of the time. A good film's a good film regardless when it's made or defining stylistic/artistic genre traits. We know this. No opinion objective, but we'll get as close as we can for discussion, sure.

ironfistedmonk

What I meant by outdated was that the look and feel of the films was starting to get old, the studio bound sets were starting to get too claustrophobic IMO compared to say DTTD with its mid air flying antics, and I don't think the choreo was all that on the later Shaws. For all those great movies you mentioned there were as many duffers, Demon of the Lute, Descendant of the Sun, Journey of the Doomed, Hidden Power of the Dragon Sabre etc, all too wacked out with crazy ass action. I respect your opinion Peri and understand that these wacky films are more to your taste and I do love the Shaws but alot of the later films are just not for me.

duffers... Hidden Power of the Dragon Sabre.
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!! That's like Chor Yuan's best film or something.

Yeah, I get what you're saying though, but wasn't that great/not-so-great ratio the case consistent throughout Shaws' production life. Not every film can be a proper winner; though goddamed if loads aren't great all the way through though. But then again, I guess plenty diggers feel that genre-wise, regardless specific niches.

Anyhoo, tangenting off a little, I guess what I'm trying to say is, picture quality aside,

Now that's some wirework! Hoofing it!!

ironfistedmonk

OH YES I DID!!!!!!! lol

I didn't mind Long Road to Gallantry, it was an OK movie, nowt special mind. It was the bits in between the wirework in that clip that got me going, some nice fisticuffs goin on

The Duel with Andy Lau and Ekin Cheng...?

Oof.. didn't like this one at all. Ekin Cheng is like HKs Steven Seagal when it comes to acting out emotions. A few laughs from Nick Cheung, but the action was nothing special. Ekin's girl was smoking hot though.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I don't know who is the better villian.

They both used blond hair as the bad guy's dou.

Lets say they were in a movie together both are bad guys.

They cross and double cross paths.

As the script writer who would have win to go on in the finally against some good guy?

Or who is tougher in a straight out nockdown no holds bar brawl.

I'll choose after I get some input.

ROBERT TAI VS. TOMMY LEE.

YOU DECIDE.

BLESSINGS.

GD Y-Y

Archived