Leung Kar Yan

Righteous Master

Righteous Master

Hey, I just finished watching Eagle's Claw for the first time. Not the greatest MA film I have ever watched, but for sure better than average. Like usual while watching old school MA films, I was keeping my eyes open to see if I knew any of the actors in this film from other films that I have already watched in the past.

Almost right away, I noticed Leung Kar Yan playing the right hand man to the crane/snake evil master. over the past few months I have come to enjoy Leung Kar Yan for his brillant parts in other films such as The Victim and Knockabout.

Since I am relativly new to old school MA films, I thought that I would ask you all the following questions. 1)What film made Leung Kar Yan a star? 2) Does Leung usually play a good guy or a bad guy? 3)What other films that he is in would you recommend?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be some Samo Hung film..likely Warriors Two.

10 Brothers of Shao-Lin,thundering mantis&canton iron kung-fu are essential,so are all films he made for shaw brothers.

All of those are great films, would love a good subbed version of Thundering Mantis, the English dubbing is really bad!

His debut was in Shaolin Martial Arts as the iron armour villain.

He first started out in Shaw for some villanous roles like in Shaolin Martial Arts, Marco Polo and 5 Shaolin Masters. I think his big break was in either Warriors Two, as mentioned, or Yuen Woo Ping's Legend of the Fighter, which is my favourite. He's quite credible both as bad and good guys. I'd also check out Odd Couple.

Forgot about Legend of a Fighter, brilliant film!

Would like to echo that statement. That is a movie on a lot of fans top ten lists.

To answer your question he is usually a bad guy.

Hey, I just finished watching Eagle's Claw for the first time. Not the greatest MA film I have ever watched, but for sure better than average. Like usual while watching old school MA films, I was keeping my eyes open to see if I knew any of the actors in this film from other films that I have already watched in the past.

Almost right away, I noticed Leung Kar Yan playing the right hand man to the crane/snake evil master. over the past few months I have come to enjoy Leung Kar Yan for his brillant parts in other films such as The Victim and Knockabout.

Since I am relativly new to old school MA films, I thought that I would ask you all the following questions. 1)What film made Leung Kar Yan a star? 2) Does Leung usually play a good guy or a bad guy? 3)What other films that he is in would you recommend?

The movie "Sixty Second Assassin", the end fight with Kar Yan is excellent, top notch choreography

Legend of a Fighter

The Victim

Shaolin Martial Arts

Warriors Two

Dreadnought

Cantonese Iron Kung Fu

Sleeping Fist

Five Shaolin Masters

Odd Couple

Demon Strike

Marco Polo

Knockabout

The Thundering Mantis

Shanghai 13

The Iron Monkey:D

Can't go wrong with many of these titles.

Morgoth Bauglir

Sleeping fist is one of my top 5 Leung Kar Yan movies. Secret Service of the Imperial Court is also up there. And check out The Green Jade Statuette if you get a chance. Leung Kar Yan and Lung Fei have a 2 on 1 fight with Chi Kuan Chun.

Amazing this man knew absolutely no Martial Arts. One could never tell by his superb athleticism. Surely an all time great, on Legend of A Fighter alone, he has done his homework.

Like a lot of actors from this period he learned most of his martial arts onset from the choreographers / directors. If that includes people like Lau Kar Leung, Yuen Wo Ping and Sammo Hung thats a pretty good foundation!

I di read that from Wiki but refuse to believe it.Has to be crap.

Naw, he has talked about it in some interview on some dvd for some movie i cant remember.

I remember it was mentioned in Top Fighter. He is definitely a quick learner and I have to admit, I do like when he does some occasional non-action roles, like in Stephen Chow's Fight Back to School III and Hail the Judge.

Righteous Master
I dream to see a remastered edition of the victim one day.

I am sure we all have the same wish buddy. Perhaps DD or another decent company will pick up this title and finally do it justice.

I hope Joy Sales/FS because DD will make them look pink. LOL

If they could do the same job they've done for Knockabout that would be great. :)

He's great in the titles mentioned, but my all time favorite Leung Ka Yan film is Two on the Road (Fearless Dragons). The choreography is great, a little too heavy with the comedy but the final showdown with him teamed up with Philip Ko against Wang Lung Wei makes this film worth the price of admission.

I said this many times, when I saw this film on the old infamous "Deuce" (42nd St and Times Square in NYC)the audience's cheers/screams drowned out the sound of the film! To me, that scene alone better than other 2 classics that were featured with it at the time - Mad Monkey Kung Fu and 7 Grandmasters! Yes, I said it! lol

... when I saw this film on the old infamous "Deuce" (42nd St and Times Square in NYC)the audience's cheers/screams drowned out the sound of the film!lol

WalkOn, aren't those memories priceless?! We had a couple of theaters: The Mc Vicker's & The Oriental, here in Downtown Chicago that gave the very same experience... It was very reminescent of the early scene in The Last Dragon, when the overcrowded theater, full of Kung Fu FilmFans just howled at the onscreen action!:D Sometimes the noise was so thunderous, the floor of the balconies would tremble! Home Theater's got nothing on that! Today's audiences wouldn't understand.:(

Righteous Master
WalkOn, aren't those memories priceless?! We had a couple of theaters: The Mc Vicker's & The Oriental, here in Downtown Chicago that gave the very same experience... It was very reminescent of the early scene in The Last Dragon, when the overcrowded theater, full of Kung Fu FilmFans just howled at the onscreen action!:D Sometimes the noise was so thunderous, the floor of the balconies would tremble! Home Theater's got nothing on that! Today's audiences wouldn't understand.:(

Hey Dragon, I hear that you guys have a Chinatown in Chicago. Is this true? If so, then could you tell me what it is like? Do they have a good selection of legit kung fu DVD's? I live in Minnesota and thought that if you guys have a Chinatown with a good MA selection then I might make the 4 to 5 hour drive.

Sometimes the noise was so thunderous, the floor of the balconies would tremble! Home Theater's got nothing on that! Today's audiences wouldn't understand.:(

Well said.

Priceless indeed! Man, this is why I come on this forum to share my experiences of the times these films were at the height of their glory. Wonderful times! Remastering the films to high quality images are great, but it still can't compete to packed smoke filled theatres, soda stained movie screens, balconies, rowdy audiences, double/triple features and the previews! Those were the days! lol

Hey Dragon, I hear that you guys have a Chinatown in Chicago. Is this true? If so, then could you tell me what it is like? Do they have a good selection of legit kung fu DVD's? I live in Minnesota and thought that if you guys have a Chinatown with a good MA selection then I might make the 4 to 5 hour drive.

Well, we do have a huge Chinatown here, however, surprisingly, their Kung Fu Film selection isn't that great.:o They seem to treat these films like very unimportant, and curious when others express interest...

There is a place here though, and if you PM me, I'll give you all the details... It could still be worth the trip.:D

Priceless indeed! Man, this is why I come on this forum to share my experiences of the times these films were at the height of their glory. Wonderful times! Remastering the films to high quality images are great, but it still can't compete to packed smoke filled theatres, soda stained movie screens, balconies, rowdy audiences, double/triple features and the previews! Those were the days! lol

I remember thous times well!! I practically grew up at a movie theater. That is also the reason I come to this site, to reminisce about thous times. :)

Back then Everyone was Kung Fu Fighting it at the Big-Screen.:cool:

Archived