NRNS original version DVD??

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Is there a dvd version of No retreat, No surrender, that isn't re-edited, re-cut and re-scored?? Recently bought the dvd, and it is not the same as the old vhs version I used to have. Different scenes, different music.... it just blows!

Guest Markgway

The 95m HK edit is the original version.

The US/International cut was abridged to 84m and re-scored.

You can easily tell which you're getting by the huge gap in running time.

The US version had the one scene where Jason and Kelly go to the Space Needle and I think in some of the international versions, that scene was cut out.

You can also tell that the US edit was terribly cut in the final fight where Jason fights Ivan as the film takes out the intercutting training scenes in the fight.

I wish I had money I would buy up the right to these "B" martial arts movies and release them all on DVD!! This was one of the first martial arts themed movies I ever saw other than The Karate Kid.

Chinatown Kid

I have the Pal region 2 Universal version and it runs 79 minutes, does anyone know if this would be equvalent to the 85 or 95 minute version if it was NTSC? I'm guessing my version is only 79 minutes due to PAL speedup? If it's actually the cut version I have then I would like to get the uncut 95 minute version.

Tigerstyles

if its the original verion it would have the theme sound. stand on your ownnnnnn its no retreat and no surrender!!! repeat.. has it got this?

Chinatown Kid

No the version I have does not have the No retreat, No surrender theme song in it like the version that was released here in the US back in 85 which I saw at the Drive-In and later on HBO cable tv. I would like to have that version but would also like to have the original HK uncut 95min version as well. I don't know if the PAL version I have now which is 79 minutes is uncut, I was thinking it might be the 95 minute version but only runs 79 minutes due to PAL speedup?

the Original Version is 94 mins PAL (makes approx 98 NTSC), released in Australia for Example.

the US Version is heavily edited and has a completely new Music Score. the UK Version was heavily cut on VHS and Cinema; i have no idea about DVD Versions from there.

there will also be a German DVD of that uncut Version due very soon.(but alas, only German Dub it seems)

Guest Markgway

The UK R2 is uncut @ 94 mins. It's budget price (you can get it for about £3 in most sales) so no excuse not to have it. Only drawback is it's full frame and from a worn print.

Only the old VHS releases were abridged (AND BBFC censored)

Guest Markgway
7 seconds for one release and 37 for another? what exactly was cut?

Shots of a Bruce Lee poster on a garage wall in which he can be seen holding nunchakus. I'm serious - they ordered that be cut. For the video they also cut an elbow to the throat when Van Damme is fighting the girlfriend's brother (in the ring) and subsequent stomach punches. The DVD is uncut.

The Running Man

I would love to have the US version on DVD. It is a far superior version of the film than the "original" version.

Better music, better editing, and even better print (my old VHS of the US version still looks better than the Australian DVD which is of the "original" version).

Was the US version ever put out on DVD?

I have the original US version and I agree Running Man the music and everything is better that what I've seen on youtube of the "un-cut" version of this movie.

Here's hoping we get a DVD release sometime.

I would like to see the uncut version on DVD with the music from the U.S. cut.

Speaking of NRNS, I just posted on the KFC site, a review of No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder :D

kingofkungfu2002
Speaking of NRNS, I just posted on the KFC site, a review of No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder :D

I love that movie...My favourite in the series :)