Fearless Hyena

Snake and Crane arts of shaolin

New Fist of Fury

Shaolin wooden Men

Dragon Fist

Spiritual Kung Fu

Magnificent Bodyguards

Hand of Death

Tell me, in order of best to worst. I know my choices, but there's still some left to buy :D

Hong Kong legends have so far released:

Fearless Hyena

Snake and Crane arts of shaolin

New Fist of Fury

Shaolin wooden Men

Dragon Fist

Spiritual Kung Fu

Magnificent Bodyguards

Hand of Death

Will have to track them down, wonder if they're all out here in Australia yet though?

Is there a reliable place from the UK that I can order them from (play doesn't ship here :()?

• Like 1

Will have to track them down, wonder if they're all out here in Australia yet though?

Is there a reliable place from the UK that I can order them from (play doesn't ship here :()?

Best place period is HKFlix.com :cool: That's where I get 'em.

gravedigger666
Best place period is HKFlix.com :cool: That's where I get 'em.

awful prices for mostly crap movies.Not much imagination needed to guess which is better purchase;2 Shaws or one old jackie flick:rolleyes:

gravedigger666

It depends if you are rich or not..I`m still student,waiting to make money one day.So from $25 to $29 for those movies is not worth it.$10 maybe OK price as those old chans are not good.+I have HK legends of Dragon Lord and Police Story picture quality is not that great either if same with other chans they are worth even less.

Dragon Fist may be worth getting though and I think it`s maybe 1st jackie was choreographer?End fight where Jackie teams up with walking stick dude is good one.

I got Shaolin Wooden Men and New Fist of Fury (HKL) today for $18 (Australian) each.

Not a bad price, but I see what you mean, Gravedigger666.

• Like 1

Most of Jackie's films from this era are worth getting IMO.

The intro alone makes "Snake Crane Arts of Shaolin" worth getting. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUSG4lkbE8I

:D

Fearless Hyena - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanvDmCZ62o

Spiritual Kung Fu (this is not the HKL version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJh56G4D-o

• Like 1

Most of Jackie's films from this era are worth getting IMO.

True. Because he is now a legend himself, it's great just to have his body of work to appreciate what he's done for the genre. I know I respect the hell out of his early work, when everyone busted their arses, and you had to genuinely know your craft to get anywhere.

Today's Pop Tarts, er- I mean pop stars,:P seemingly are thought of as real action stars. WTF?!!!

• Like 1

Robotech_Master
To Kill with Intrigue is worth seeing. Not a great movie, but I loved it.

Different strokes, I guess. After watching it once, back in my college years, I've always thought of it as "To Kill with Boredom" ever since.

I've seen a dubbed version [of The Young Master], it is a great film. Just waiting to find a subbed dvd over a dubbed one.

At one point I bought a DVD of this out of the cheapie racks somewhere (dollar store maybe), and later discovered it was a hard-subtitled (non-anamorphic) widescreen, probably copied from a laserdisc. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, though I probably should get around to it. All in all, not a bad acquisition for the price, and certainly better than multi-generational VHS.

• Like 1

Robotech_Master

By the way, it seems as though one used to be able to find cheap Jackie Chan films everywhere—two-for-$10 VHS boxes of early Jackie Chan movies (the Lo Wei titles + Police Story 1) that were in every video store and Wal-Mart.

You don't find those anymore, even on DVD, and I kind of miss them. I wonder what happened—did the rights suddenly become worth a lot more money in the wake of his finally breaking into American film in the '90s, and end up in the hands of more "legitimate" importation studios instead?

• Like 1

Robotech_Master

I think the cheapie Chan packagers are getting desperate. I saw a "Jackie Chan 4-pack" in Best Buy the other day that featured:

• Killer Meteors (where Jackie played the bad guy)
  • a Jackie Chan Lo Wei fight scene compilation
  • a movie starring Jackie Chan's sifu
  • a movie starring Jackie Chan's father (as a cook)

Um, yeah.

• Like 1

My personal favs from the Lo Wei movies in order are

Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin

Fearless Hyena

Dragon Fist

Spiritual Kung Fu

Shaolin Wooden Men

Half A Loaf of Kung Fu

That's exactly the list I was thinking of...;)

• Like 1

I just watched snake and crane arts of shaolin after having it lying around for few months and it was damn good. And the leader of the Tang clan was pretty as hell :P

In my opinion it was more entertaining than snake in the eagle's shadow

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 2/6/2008 at 11:00 AM, Sifu said:

By the way, if you look at New Fist of Fury and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, his eyes changed. Lo Wei told him he was too ugly, so after the box office failure of New Fist of Fury he had eye surgery to make his lids wider shortly before starting with Ng See Yuen. Less 'asian' :( I always hated Lo.

On page 171 of When the Wind was Blowing Wild: Hong Kong Cinema of the 1970s, Ng See-Yuen took credit for that: "In the past he had single eyelids, but I asked him to undergo procedures to get double eyelids during the shoot of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. It had completely changed his looks."

It makes sense because Jackie's eyelids were yet to be changed during the early Lo Wei movies like Shaolin Wooden Men and The Killer Meteors.

• Like 2