IVL last 6 months recommendations

DrunkenMantis13

DrunkenMantis13

Yeah so i slowed on buying the new IVL releases around August when CDwow had major problems. The only titles i bought since then are the Venoms ones and Kid from Kwangtung. So i'm sure i missed on quite a lot that were good.

Firs i'll start by asking for good titles that are available from CDwow that came out since last August. Hex vs Witchcraft, Kid with a Tattoo, Black Lizard, Rape of the Sword, Boxer from the Temple, What Price Honesty...which ones are best from those? Is Hex good? And i was thinking about WPH for a while...

Other than those are there any must haves that came out since last summer? Excluding the venoms, KidFK, KillerConstable and the ones i listed from CDwow. Doesn't matter if CDwow don't have them because i still have to get 5EN and ShaolinRescuers from some other place...

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mr. Mantis. What Price Honesty is essential. Looovvveee this film.

Having seen 30 so far of this lot:

shawe.jpg

And besides/ignoring the venoms, etc., and having enjoyed pretty much all of them a lot, there are only 3 I'd go batshit over... Delightful Forest, a bit batshit over, for classic blood splattered Chang Cheh heroics, and then two of my favourite of last year's releases, would go completely batshit over... Supreme Swordsman, and even better Usurper's Of Emperor's Power. But then again, I like the nutty flying about late era Shaw stylings, which those two deliver in spades. Usurper's water based (location work too) sequence was great fun. Damn, I loved Usurpers. Took a couple of watches for me to catch up to the fact of just how much this film sits right with me (and with Supreme to consolidate pretty much). Too nice. Others might not see it, but I liked UoEP better than Lu Chin Ku's fired up efforts even, if that means anything. The style doesn't sit right with all, but I think its Shaws at their finest; different strokes and whatnot.

I`m happy with delightful forest,murder plot and even new game of death:cool:

Edit:some friends recommended Eunuch and I take their word it is good...tigress of shaolin is not worth getting,really dire movie IMO.

venoms aside (if u like them, u want all of theirs anyhoo), i enjoyed most of the ca 2 dozens i watched.

particularly recommended are bloody parrot, supreme swordsman, murder plot representing for the later oldskool era and lady of steel, the eunuch and delightful forest for the swashbuckler era.

pretty much all the other early 70s wuxia flicks are considerably good too actually. really looking forward to deadly knives as my next movie of choice.

stuff that made me cringe (in order of crappiness):

kid from kwangtung (HJL`s kickass performance makes this sucker the least crappiest); tigress of shaolin; coward bastard (possibly the shittiest ma/kf related shaw flick there is).

On my TV, some fights in The Supreme Swordsman are so terribly undercranked that the motion is cartoonish.

Be sure you can tolerate this if you're picking it up.

On my TV, some fights in The Supreme Swordsman are so terribly undercranked that the motion is cartoonish.

Be sure you can tolerate this if you're picking it up.

yup, i guess a warning is definitely in order here.

SS is for fans of the likes of long road to gallantry, bastard swordsman, shaolin intruders, ambitious kf girl etc.

tho not quite as good as LRTG, BS or SI, it should provide its entire target audience with heaps of fun.

they got swords and they make nonstop use of them. ;)

So is Diau Charn. :D

I watched Supreme Swordsman last night and was surprised by the amount of undercranking they were doing, even in comparison to some of the other fantasy/swordplay films from this era it's a bit much!

SS fits in nicely next to films like Buddha's Palm and Holy Flame of the Martial World but delivers far more on the MA choreo front, even with the undercranking. A kind of leaner and meaner take on some of Chu Yuan's late 70's & early 80's films IMO

Tigress of Shaolin was somewhat of a letdown, since I was unfortunately expecting Kara Hui to have more screentime than she actually got. I also liked The Eunuch more than Usurpers...

Archived