Shaw Films series books?

xianzai

If you search on YesAsia.com for 'Shaw Films Series' you can find several books listed. Where they ever translated into English?

Shaw Films Series - The Heroes

Shaw Films Series - Shaw Beauties MOVIE

Shaw Films Series - The Alternative Cult Films

Shaw Films Series - Wu Xia, Kung Fu Films

Shaw Films Series - Wen Yi? Ge Wu? Qing Xi Ju

Shaw Films Series - Period Drama, huangmei Opera

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the books on Heroes & Shaw beauties, there are about 4 pics alloted for every star. There is a full page spread and 2 or 3 smaller pics. These are in black and white printed on recycled paper.

The books on the various genre of Shaw movies have at least 1 colour pic per movie.

There are errors galore in all the books as my friends have reported.

They repeated the error that Ivy Ling Po co-starred with Lin Dai in The Last Woman Of Shang. I first noticed this error in the Ocean Shores tape that was issued in Taiwan in 1979.

I managed to catch/record the three documentaries based on those books on the IFC cable channel. Glad I did because when I was waiting for the DVD's, they went oop very quickly. I've since transferred my recordings to discs.

:D

For the books on Heroes & Shaw beauties, there are about 4 pics alloted for every star. There is a full page spread and 2 or 3 smaller pics. These are in black and white printed on recycled paper.

The books on the various genre of Shaw movies have at least 1 colour pic per movie.

There are errors galore in all the books as my friends have reported.

They repeated the error that Ivy Ling Po co-starred with Lin Dai in The Last Woman Of Shang. I first noticed this error in the Ocean Shores tape that was issued in Taiwan in 1979.

What a shame. I guess it isn't very hard to make errors especially since the films had been out of circulation for so long but you'd think they would have had access to press and promotional materials while writing those books unless they weren't authorized by Celestial? I was almost tempted to buy them just for the hell of it.

What a shame. I guess it isn't very hard to make errors especially since the films had been out of circulation for so long but you'd think they would have had access to press and promotional materials while writing those books unless they weren't authorized by Celestial? I was almost tempted to buy them just for the hell of it.

the problem is, a lot of the press and promo materials had errors due to trying to sell an actor or film. It's kind of the problem with working to heavily with promo materals, especially with the Shaw Brothers, they want you to see things a certain way. BTW, the books were all backed by Celestial.

Linn, would you say they were worth buying for the pics alone? They are only in Chinese, yes? I guess the errors would make no difference to those who can't read Chinese.

if you're looking just for pictures, the only one's worthwhile are the actors and actresses books. The ones on films don't have that many and most are small. The actors ones are as Ivy described. There's no English text. While they're interesting to see, I don't know it's worth $50 each for just the pictures IMO.

if you're looking just for pictures, the only one's worthwhile are the actors and actresses books. The ones on films don't have that many and most are small. The actors ones are as Ivy described. There's no English text. While they're interesting to see, I don't know it's worth $50 each for just the pictures IMO.

No, I would much prefer the text over the pictures. I was just curious if the pictures would be a saving grace considering the non-English friendly passages. I was most interested in the HEROES, KUNG FU/WUXIA and the EXPLOITATION (whatever it was called; the one with INFRAMAN on the cover) but I think I'll pass.

Archived