the tattoed hitman

bunafireonafussy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it has a DVD release. I think it was either Image or even Criterion that released it. I'm not the biggest Seijun Suzuki fan and I feel this was one of his lesser movies. The plot seems to draggggg and the way the movie was directed, it feels like one of those Hollywood movies from the 50's and 60's. It's kind of hard to explain. Anyway, if you want to check out a good Seijun Suzuki movie already out on R1 (assuming you havent seen it already) I recommend Fighting Elegy.

Yakuza I think you're confusing something, Tattooed Hitman with Bunta Sugawara was not directed by Suzuki and was only released on VHS in america (the tape is cut allegedly). I don't have the tape on hand to check, but according to imdb the director is Kosaku Yamashita. IMDB might be listing the wrong name, but judging by the film's visual style, Suzuki was never even near it.

All that aside, I remember the movie itself being pretty average, at least the VHS version. If you're a big Bunta fan you might like it more. You can find out for yourself for only $5 or so on amazon.

Unless you guys are talking about a different tatooed hitman all together

aaah, i see. Well you definitely were right as far as saying it's not one of Suzuki's best (ending is pretty great though) and it is indeed out on dvd from hve/criterion or something. Not the best place to start with Suzuki by any means.

SlothStyleKungFu

I've only seen it via the US version, which apparently is an edit and has the prerequisite dubbing. I taped it off cable back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Its a pretty typical yakuza flick, the crux of this one has Bunta doing the yakuza thing with a young upstart, showing him the ropes like how to treat a case of the clap after sleeping with skanky hookers. I've got a bit of a soft spot for it since it was among the first 70's yakuza flicks I watched.

If you have Netflix, it is part of their free ONDemand service. I havent watched their version so I dont know if its the US edit or the original.

Archived