Twinkle, twinkle lucky stars... I need to be reassured

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

I just ordered the HKL edition of Twinkle, twinkle lucky stars out of an impulsion and I need to know what you guys think...

I was influenced by the HKL trailer and the good reputation of the fights in the movie.

Now my question: Is the action quality enough to overshadow the fact that it's (from what I've read) a very silly comedy? How does it compare to Wheels on meals, both in terms of quality and quantity of action?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

The fights are quality. Just as good as Wheels on Meals, and much higher quantity. Yuen Biao vs Phillip Ko, Andy Lau vs Lau Kar Wing, Sammo vs a bunch of men in drag, Jackie Chan vs Richard Norton, Jackie vs Yasuaki Kurata, Jackie vs Dick Wei, Yuen Biao vs Chung Fa, Sammo vs Richard Norton and Sammo vs Yasuaki Kurata. What else do you need to know?

The Amazing Psycho Per

Thanks that's all I needed to ear! Then why does Wheels on meals has such a good reputation and Twinkle twinkle... is so unknown?

Overall Wheels On Meals is a much better film, there is a lot of lame comedy in the first half of Twinkle but the last half hour and the warehouse fight are pure class, some of the best Sammo has done....

Yuen Biao has an AMAZING trademarked kick in the warehouse. I don't think I've seen anyone else do it. There was a somewhat similar kick, but less difficult, in the final fight of Prodigal Son, but that was also Yuen Biao, doubling for Frankie Chan. You need to see it to understand. Was also cool to see Andy Lau do some proper fighting. I guess you've seen Winners and Sinners? This one has a lot more action, but you'll have to bear with the same type of comedy.

I think the best part aside from the fights is the finale of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars...anyone want to play "Guess Who?" ;)

Killer Meteor

Twinkle Twinkle is far inferior to Wheels On Meals. A lot of the comedy is the same as that of My Lucky Stars, with Sammo and the boys trying to take advantage of some unfortunate ladies. What action the film has is good but limited. Both Lucky Stars films from 1985 are far weaker than Winners And Sinners, which got the balance much better

Chinatown Kid

Both films feature great fights but Wheels on Meals stands out because of the legendary fight between Jackie and Benny Urquidez, that was one of the best one on one screen fights of all time imo.:cool:

I remember in an interview Richard Norton said that he was supposed to fight Jackie Chan at the end of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, but he was recovering from injuries from Armour of God, so it was made that Jackie was hurt, leaving Sammo to take on both Norton and Yasuaki Kurata.

Comparing the two, I agree with the majority, Wheels on Meals is the better film.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Alright, I watched it yesterday and watched the fights three times since.:D

I must say though, that I don't think i'll ever watch it in it's entirety again... Those who've seen it will understatnd why. Basically, it's pretty stupid.

I have yet to see My lucky stars, but I've seen Winners and sinners and as movie Winners overall works alot better. Twinkle's plot is a mess, and the comedy isn't funny, at least not for me.

But the action! The only complaint I would have is that it's not long enough. The final espacialy could have been longer. With Jackie's injury, Yuen Biao could have been allowed more screen fighting time, his fight in the final is pretty short and so is Sammo's against Kurata. Basically all the fights are too short, but very nice. But what there is, is all good and the warehouse fight is fast and furious.

If anyone else was thinking of getting it, be aware that you will probably rewatch only about 15-20 minutes of the movie, and never watch the rest again.

My lucky stars is in much the same vein as Twinkle, but has better stunts (check out the opening in the funfair). The fights are just marginally inferior to Twinkle but Sammo vs Lau Kar wing in lucky is one of my fave fights. Also Michiko Nichiwaki vs Sibelle Hu is one to savour!

Archived