7 Steps of Kung Fu (1979)

GhostFaceKiller

GhostFaceKiller

Dude,

I'm surprised I didn't hear more about this movie earlier. It is totally rad!!! I think this might be the best choreographed movie Tommy Lee has ever done. It's simply hours of non-stop forms intensive Gung Fu which is totally beautifully done. That dude Ricky Cheng was awesome. His physicality matched that of old-school Jackie Chan. This is a VideoAsia release and yet it's wide screen and pretty decent looking. I am super impressed. I think it cost me like 7 bucks. What a deal!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah this movie is great. One of my all time favorites. Chang Shan doesn't mess around in this. He can't even walk at the end of his fight and he's still whoopin ass. That's how a great villain goes out.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The final fight is one of the best two on one fights I have seen! And it is most def Tommy Lee's best work as choreographer in my book! There were short stints of pretty obvious undercranking that I could have done without though. But thats a minor grievance. Awesome movie!

This film is amazing! Ricky Cheng is great in this! I love this film so much but i don't watch it that often. The end fight is amazing, also Chi Kai running up the tree and backflipping off it without wires! Also the fight against the two lamas is so cool as well!

I passed on this one several times because of it being one of those awful VideoAsia releases. Here's the poster...

The dvd is just a boot of another better quality PD release of the film. I can't remember who released the original, but look it up online and you should be able to find it.

Chinatown Kid

I saw the end fight of this movie on youtube and it is great, I'm definately gonna have to get this film on DVD.:)

The dvd is just a boot of another better quality PD release of the film. I can't remember who released the original, but look it up online and you should be able to find it.

Cool. I'll look for that one. Thanks, Linn.

GhostFaceKiller

Hey Morgoth,

I didn't recognize Chang Shan in this film. Who did he play? I was actually looking for him and couldn't tell who he was.

Morgoth Bauglir

He plays the white haired villain.

THis is the only movie I have seen where Shan does any kind of acrobatics. Definitely my favorite fight of his career.

GhostFaceKiller

Morgoth,

Are you telling me he's the final villain? I just watched it again and I was staring him in the face and still could not recognize him. It's crazy. I was gonna say, that was one crazy fight. Even better than Shaolin vs. Lama as hard as that is to believe. This movie truly blows me away.

Great film as far as action goes. Ricky Chein is just so f** annoying in this one though. Prob due to the bad dubbing but it kinda ruins it for me.

5 Element Boxer

Yeah. I've only see parts of this movie, along with clips on youtube. I wonder if netflix has this. I must see it.

Guest JopokHime

Get the Vengeance UK dvd.

It's wide and uncut.

The horrible Shaolin Raiders version is bottom of the barrel fullscreen dreck.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was pleased with the pic quality on the Saturn version of Shaolin Raiders. And the full screen barely affects the action.

WOW!

It's all that - and a bag of chips!

Watched this last night. Wall-to-wall ack-chun!

Tommy did an awesome job with this and Ricky never looked better.

I rewatched the Ricky vs Lamas scene today while eating lunch.

The man has some serious 'Acro-Fu' skills! XD

Definitely in my "to-watch-again" pile....

This is one where the good guys just go after the bad guys. I'm so used to having to see the heros get beat down or backed into a corner, it was wierd at the end where they just kind of attacked.

thundered mantis

It´s a great film. Only down points are that a couple of fights towards the end get a bit too repetitive in some movements, they kinda drag a bit, like they not evolve or go nowhere. I´m referring to the Ricky Chen vs 2 big guys, and also the final fight. Still, the action is nothing less than superb, but I maybe consider Of Cooks & Kung Fu, with similar cast, a bit step up (just a tiny bit though)

Great flic, with a great cast! Ricky Cheng Tien Chi, Chai Kai, Chen Shan and Tommy Lee (little screen time if I'm correct) all in top form! I never knew Tommy Lee was the choreography, thanks for letting us know. It's one of his best choreography, if not the best I've seen. I remember watching this on 42nd St during the early 80's. A crowd pleaser for sure.

Archived