Longest one shot fight scene?

defangthewolf

defangthewolf

one MA cinema trivia i would like to know, what is the longest fight scene filmed in one single shot? im pretty sure it would have been a flick that came out in 1978-1983

• Like 1

theportlykicker

Surely, the one-take fight in Tom Yum Goong is the longest ever. It's much longer than the Oldboy fight, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Haven't seen a lot of one-shot fights in classic kung fu movies, probably because of the intricate moves and shapes. I remember Last Hurrah For Chivalry had a shot with 100 moves in one cut, when Chang fights Pray. That was enjoyable.

• Like 1

defangthewolf

very interesting responses. although i wouldnt classify oldboy as a MA film though. longest one shot fight scene is really stretching it, what i actually was getting at was it doesnt necessarily have to be a complete scene but can be a passage within a fight scene

anyway, i havent even seen tom yung gong and last hurrah yet...haha maybe im contradicting myself by calling others who havent seen 7 steps non MA film fanatics in the other thread but i guess im just really passionate about that very movie

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

If your talking the longest end fight I believe falkor was correct, Jackie vs Hwang In Sik in The Young Master suppose to be the longest end fight ever, it came out in 1980.

• Like 1

How about Bruce Lee's 8 consecutive kicks in Fist of Fury...:rolleyes:

That had never been done before on film, until he repeated the feat again in Enter The Dragon.

Until then, kicking had never been properly used in an MA film. Of course, great kickers have come along since, shortly afterward with the likes of Hwang Cheng Li, Delon Tam, John Liu, and many others...

The Japanese Samurai flick Zipang has a nice, quite long single take on a bridge, where the hero literally slices through an army... I fell in love with the film the first time that scene was demo'd for me.

As a footnote, Liu Chia Liang opted for longer takes as his choreography focused more on the true Shaolin forms/shapes.

• Like 1

theportlykicker
anyway, i havent even seen tom yung gong

Well, here's the scene in question. Watch it and tell me there's a longer one...

yXIGP6_fNZk

• Like 1

There was a Connie Chan Po-Chu film from the 1960's, in which I was amazed to see her doing (as I recall) 26 consecutive moves in a single fight sequence. I can't remember which film it was, though.

• Like 2

The Amazing Psycho Per

I have to agree with Portly Kicker... at nearly 4 minutes, there is no doubt that Tom Yum Goong has the longest one shot fight sequence. Even more impressive is that there are stunts included. You can't say what you want about this movie, but in these days of split second editing, youre not likely to see that surpassed anytime soon.

• Like 1

True TYG is the winner for now beating Old Boy in this regard.Note that this is quite a difficult feat to achieve in action scenes as it involves a lot of meticulous and intricate planning.Imagine the alleged more than a 1000 cuts Jackie Chan did during the Shuttle-cork scene in Dragon Lord.However I believe that some teams out there see the TYG record as a challenge and would one day try to beat it if the pacesetters do not surpass themselves in the near future.

• Like 1

There are some long, uninterupted takes in Spearman. Those fights with the Tridents and swords are a pleasure to view.

:cool:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Well, here's the scene in question. Watch it and tell me there's a longer one...

yXIGP6_fNZk

I'm pretty sure the first fight in Master of Thunder is longer, and overall I thought it was a better fight. At the end of the scene you can tell that the demon is getting pretty tired lol.

And another movie that has EXTEMELY long takes is Brothers Five. Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

Great post. I thought Gordon liu was the king of the most moves per cut, but after seeing what Portlykicker posted Tony Jaa IS the man.

• Like 1

i dunno i think the scene in contour is longer then the one in TYG.. the one where stephen reedy pulled the hand held through tha ladder and everything

• Like 1

Sorry, just realized this is about Classic kung fu fliks. It would seem that between 1978- 83 would have the longest, but IMO this is when the cuts became sharper and more stylized which meant 8-12 moves then cut, for tighter looking action sequences. I think 1973-1976 would have the longest fights without cuts if we're talking classics. I counted at least 50 moves by Chen Kuan Tai in Heroes Two I believe.

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

I can't say for sure what old school film has the longest uncut fight sequence, but the TYG sequence was done modern day after such a technique is done more for style than practicality. So, if thought it technically is the longest take, I don't think it should count! :)

When it comes to choreographing a fight scene, from what I can see, you have to be careful what angle you are shooting it from. And weapons play is different from empty hand combat, because with weapons, you can move at any angle to the camera, and it still looks 'real'. In empty hand combat, you can't really punch or kick a guy in the face so the placing of the camera is really important to hide the fact that they're really an inch or more away from their opponent. That makes it difficult to do one continuous take, unless you expect the guys to stand in the same spot throughout the whole fight. It was probably possible for John Woo to have his long take in Chivalry because of the fact they're fighting with weapons, but I think even Woo had to admit that it does get boring to watch at one angle for a prolongued period of time, and that cutting gets rid of the monotony.

As far as I can tell, even between the most familiar of on screen fighters (like the Venoms fighting each other or Pops vs Lau Kar Wing), your only going to be measuring in terms of number of moves versus time, because a couple of dozen moves can be done in less than a minute. Outside of John Woo, I doubt any directors were interested in long single takes, anyway.

KFS

• Like 2

"Outside of John Woo, I doubt any directors were interested in long single takes, anyway."

I have to disagree. Chang Cheh, Sun Chung, Pops all used great long takes. Especially Chang Cheh in the early Shaolin movies. They ,IMO, were interested in showing you what these guys[fighters] could do. I do agree in some cases "cutting gets rid of the monotony" , but mainly in one on one fights. A lot of the the long single takes have the hero whirlwinding through an assortment of bad guys[with a lot of moves in there] which to me is a pretty cool shot which is rarely used anymore. the last fu film that had at least 20 moves per cut was Forbidden kingdom when Jackie and Jet got down.Classic.

• Like 1

Saw this opening when you posted it on stuntpeople, Morgoth... Just watched it again; Master Of Thunder on youtube (looks a little sped on there even) runs about 4:30 (over 2 vids).

• Like 1