Just picked up Lion vs. Lion and 10 Tigers of Kwantung

Jstn

I've heard pretty good things about these two movies...hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch them this weekend. Anyone have opinions about them?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 Tigers of Kwantung sucked in my opinion. First half was good, the second half was retarded. Cheh tried to use a flashback narrative and it just didnt work out. Theres a fair amount of action but if you're looking for a good plot, look elsewhere.

10 Tigers - Nice fights, but I didn't care about a single thing happening in the movie. The story might have had a better flow in dub, but the IVL version left me thinking this movie, in regards to plot, editing, & entertainment, was one of the most poorly executed films I have ever seen.

Lion Vs. Lion - I could be confusing this with Martial Club, but I remember thinking this was kinda okay.

2 of the top-of-the-line Shaws for completely poor muddled execution yet niiiccceee fight scenes. Both could-have-been-there flicks gone woolly, carried by brilliant choreo.

10 tigers, restaurant scene with the weapons is brilliant. Also, best finale money shot evaarr.

Wang Lung Wei vs Chien Yuet Sang in Lion v L' is tooo good.

Both, some other bits great, plus a bunch of 'hmmm, almost'...

The Amazing Psycho Per

Ten tigers of kwantung is a piece of trash... It was shot on two separates period with a different set of actor to finish the films and it really make the movie suffers as you really have the impression of watching two separate movies. First the odd thing is that the fighting is better in the part starring the students then it is in the one with the all star cast. It's most probably due to the fact that the students parts is more recent. Anyway overall as an ensemble I really didn't think this film worked, mostly due to the pasting of what looks almost like two separate movies, and weak fighting in the all star casted part. You'll judge by yourself but I got rid of my copy...

LION VS LION I enjoyed a lot. The fights are amazing. The bulk of them come in the last half. The ending in the haunted house appears lifted from the spaghetti western ARIZONA COLT (1966).

TEN TIGERS...is okay. It's one that's almost unbearable for me to watch. The Chinese cut makes things a bit more easier to sit through. It's a pretty awful movie. I don't have a problem following the film, but it's just a mess and seems like an amalgamation of other movies mixed together but then I guess this is due to the film being shot over the span of three years. The fights are very good though and there's some outrageously gory highlights.

Lion Vs Lion:4,5/5 for fighting and lion dance,2/5 for remaining movie.There`s lot slapstick and not all are good.And plot is so freeform at times.Felt almost they wrote it during shooting.

Wang Lung Wei had stunt double in this?

"Lion Vs. Lion" is one of the most well rounded kung fu flicks I've ever seen. I loved every single minute of it.

Well, I've watched both and have to say that I didn't care for the story line from 10 Tigers, although; some of the fights were good. And Lion vs. Lion had some great choreography, but (as someone else on the forum mentioned), the end fight was pitifully short and the last part in the haunted house seemed like gibberish; strange way to end a movie.

Yeah, 10 tigers has a bit of a messy story, but I still enjoyed it alot. The restaurant fight and the final fight are two of my all time favourite scenes. As for Lion vs. Lion, I felt it could have been a lot better. I don't really care that much for Wong Yu, and killing off Lo Meng just resulted in a crappy ending. I'm glad I own both movies though, as they have some really nice highlights, and were both very entertaining all over.

"Lion Vs. Lion" is one of the most well rounded kung fu flicks I've ever seen. I loved every single minute of it.

I agree 100%, as for 10 tigers, Im surprised at the responses for this film!?! I remember watching this film on television when I was a kid and was impressed with the fight scenes. I still feel the same today.....20 years later.;)

I do have a 10 Tigers question...I know that Wong Chi-Ying, the father of Wong Fei-Hung, was one of them. Who played him in the movie if he was even mentioned? Because I forgot. I wasn't sure if it was Dick Wei, but I could be wrong.

I just saw 10 tigers and i gotta say i liked it but the flashback story style didnt work well at all really but the fight scenes were good and entertaining and as usual Fu Sheng was kooool :nerd:

Chinatown Kid

Lion vs Lion featured some brilliant fight choreography, Chien Yuet Sun vs Wang Lung Wei and Lo Mang going berserk on Wang Lung Wei are highlights. Just didn't like that final ending though......

I thought Lion vs Lion's ending was off the wall as well. It seemed like it's trying to take the movie in a different direction but done too late.

ironfistedmonk

Yeah the ending of Lion vs Lion is a bit of a let down but damn that fight between Wang Lung Wei and Chien Yuet Sang and then the lovely Yeung Pan Pan is sweet, Lo Meng looks great in his fight scenestoo, like he was let loose after being pigeon holed as the strongman in all those Venoms movies.

As for 10 Tigers, it is a bit of a messy story but again the fights are amazing, that end fight when Kuan Feng walks in with his spear you know your in for a classic throwdown.

Archived