Best Choreographed Fighting

Jstn

Putting everything else aside, what does everyone here think in regards to the movie with the best choreographed fights? Put aside plot, characterization, comedy, etc.

thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

"the" best? I don't think there is any way I could decide something like that. Far too many old school movies out there with great choreography and camerawork. Knockabout, The Victim, 7 Grandmasters, Shaolin vs Lama, Leg Fighters, Fearless Dragons, Buddha Assassinator end fight...

"the" best? I don't think there is any way I could decide something like that. Far too many old school movies out there with great choreography and camerawork. Knockabout, The Victim, 7 Grandmasters, Shaolin vs Lama, Leg Fighters, Fearless Dragons, Buddha Assassinator end fight...

Thank you for the information Morgoth :)

I have many favorites but the one movie that causes my mouth to drop open whenever I view it is "The Odd Couple."

The final scene in Knockabout, the tea house fight with the monkey style and the segment with the jump rope might be the best scene of all time because of the degree of difficulty

Couple others I like that might not get the same amount of props as others is this one:

l1vg2qTas-o

I love everything about Gold Connection and the final fight has so much going on. Weapons,punching, kicking all in a small living room. Just brutal.

wX-UyQnM2rc

Another favorite of mine from 10 Tigers is the anything I find I can use as a weapon fight. Its a fast paced short fight. Wang Li is wicked in this, especially with the two short swords

theportlykicker

The Victim- the choreo in the finale is unmatched for pure shapes by any film IMO. I can NEVER watch the whole thing through without rewinding after seeing a gesture or move that I've never noticed before. Sheer brilliance.

Righteous Master

I personally gotta go with The Prodigal Son. The martial arts in this film is beyond top notch and the final fight is in my opinion, the best fight ever released on film. Others worth mentioning are Knockabout, The Victim, Fearless, 7 Grandmasters. I know my list is pretty much repeats, but the best is just the best.

I think the venoms and the films had Lee Yi Min did in the late 7s and early 80s had really complez coreography, but yeh films like Prodigal Son, Shaolin vs Lama also for me Five Superfighters end fight is amazing!

gotta throw in a few nods to Desciples of the 36th Chamber and 8 Diagram pole fighter as examples of the director at the top of his game

I have many favorites but the one movie that causes my mouth to drop open whenever I view it is "The Odd Couple."

That is one awesome movie - the sword/staff fights are incredible!!!

Just finished Monkey Kung Fu from 1979, starring Ching Siu-Tung. I must say this was some of the best action choreography and monkey style I've seen in a classic kung fu film. Reminded me a bit of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, only a lot more intense and intricate. Ching Siu-Tung was WAY ahead of his time with this comical kung fu choreography that made Jackie Chan a big star. Can't wait to check out 5 Superfighters.

defangthewolf

2002673746463184216_rs.jpg

if you are not familiar with this one or havent seen it before, i dont think you deserve to be called a MA film fanatic. one of the greatest of all time, period. fact not opinion. but sadly 7 steps doesn't get mentioned alot since i've been active on this forum. if you havent yet, please do yourself a favour and check this gem out because the craziness and quantity of the action is just absolutely jaw dropping

I would have to say one of my favorite choreographed films was The Master Strikes. Choreography was done by Tony Ching Siu-Tung and Tony Leung Siu-Hung (who used his "Hsiung Kuang" screen name).

Casanova Wong's kicking is always a delight to watch, but with the addition of the comic relief where he is crazy, it is so much fun watching. Not to mention Meng Yuen-Man's fantastic acrobatic skills and Tony Ching Siu-Tung's skills with weapons.

My favorite fight is the climatic fight, and where Casanova Wong does his famous triple kick and hitting Meng, Tony, and one of Yen Shi-Kwan's henchmen then punches the other henchman all in one motion before Wong, Meng, and Tony take on Yen.

I re-watched two movies over the weekend that I don't think get enough credit for their choreography. Both the Jet Li starring "Shaolin Temple" and Jackie's "Young Master" are incredible. "Shaolin Temple" shows incredibly early usage of Wushu and has some eye opening weapon work.

"Young Master" is some of my favorite Jackie work. The choreography is so neat and fantastically executed.

Another good one I thought of (well, in regards to the final fight) is "Sixty Second Assassin" with Leung Kar Yan. The end fight is quite amazing, well choreographed. I rarely ever hear anything about this movie.

How about the end fights of Warriors Two,it was well Choreographed Movie. What are your thought's on this one?:)

Another top notch fight...first time I watched that one, my jaw dropped!!

Morgoth Bauglir

I finally got to see Shaolin vs Ninja wide, and I forgot how amazing Robert Tai is in his fight against that kicker with the sais. It's hard to tell if he's fighting or breakdancing:p

The Victim and Thundering Mantis both starring Liang Jia Ren, were two films that made me do a double take upon my initial reviews. The action was so smooth and timing so well paced in the former, the violence so intense, and extreme in the latter, making you feel the character, being a Martial Artist, if driven insane, could probably actually reach those limits in an all out battle to the death!

:eek:

gravedigger666

Five Element Ninjas..followed by Masked Avengers.

I like weapons more than unarmed and choreography in those movies is about perfect

Indie - Mystery of Chess Boxing

GH - The Prodigal Son

Shaw - 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (could of put a couple LKL films here)

Chinatown Kid

All of Bruce Lee's fight scenes in The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, and Game of Death.

The fight finales in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Drunken Master, and the Young Master.

The fight finales in Invincible Shaolin, Kid from Kwangtung, Lady is the Boss and all the fights in Heroes of the East.

The fight finale in the Hot, the Cool, and the Vicious.

I also love the fight finale between Tan Tao Liang and Chen Sing in The Tattoo Connection, Tan really gets to show off his kicks well in that fight imo.

John Liu's finale fight in Incredible Kung Fu Mission against the guy(can't think of his name) wearing the black and gold Kung Fu suit. Liu's kicks have never looked better.

Archived