'Best' dvd version of Hitman in The Hand of Buddha?

dMG

I have the PAL Eastern Heroes dvd of this one. It features the english print in app. 1.66:1 (altho stretched to fullscreen) and a rare Korean cut. Unfortunately quality of neither is that good.

Lots of ghosting and obvious degradation that i would believe mostly come from the fact that both versions are put on a dvd5.

There is a double feature with Hellz Wind Staff also from Eastern Heroes. It's allegedly presented in anamorphic widescreen. I dunno but i kinda find that unlikely. Could anyone confirm this and describe the quality?

Also there's a Tai Seng version taken from the Ocean Shores print. This tells me that it's probably fullscreen. Could someone tell me about the quality on this dvd? Maybe someone could even be nice enough to show some screengrabs from it? :)

Are there perhaps more dvd versions floating around?

EDIT

Found some screens from the Tai Seng print: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1949

Gotta say that the quality seems much nicer on that one than the Eastern Heroes one.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from Hwang Jang Lee and his fight scenes in isolation, am I the only person who doesn't really rate this film overall?

Morgoth Bauglir
Apart from Hwang Jang Lee and his fight scenes in isolation, am I the only person who doesn't really rate this film overall?

I didn't like it too much apart from the fights. I thought Eddie Ko and To Siu Ming did good acting jobs, but the story didn't grab me at all. One of the few really good scenes is where Hwang's brother in the movie (To Siu Ming) tries to take revenge for his wife with that butcher knife.

Brigadier Chow: Cool, thanks! Any chance on some screenshots perhaps?

falkor: I like Tino Wong's display of snake fist. But that could easily fall in under HJL's fight scenes because... Well, they are kinda fighting each other.

Also, dunno why but i've always liked Fan Mei Sheng for some reason.

When it comes to this as a movie... Well... Besides some good action and a decent cast it's kinda flat and boring. That goes for the humor too. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to upgrade my print :D

I watched korean cut and dunno if ever watch english dub.Some fights were good&sweet use of chopsticks but that was all,there are 100`s equal or better movies....If(speculation is always easy)Tino Wong been playing hero and Hwang(with moustaches)villain it`d likely been more entertaining movie.

Eastern Heroes publications praised this a lot,no wonder as they also released it.

Some guys just were not meant to play good guy roles.;)

Killer Meteor

The Eastern Heroes double bill DVD has the English version squished into an anamorhpic 1,85:1 picture. Like the single DVD, it's missing the scene where Hwang stops the kid picking his pocket

I thought this film was fine whenevever Hwang was on-screen. The grusome comedy is VERY out of place

What I found funny was this: Hwang spends most of the film fighting with his fists and often gets beaten. Then suddenly during the end fight with Eddy Ko, he remembers he can kick and wins!

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree Killer Meteor, I thought he may lose in the finale because he was performing so poorly. Luckily he remembered he has those rubber legs.

He used his kicks throughout the movie not just at the end. He unleashes a flurry of them at the beginning. This is one of my favorite indy movies. Hwang was great as the hero and did a far better job as a director than most others of the time. His movie at least flowed from one scene to the next instead of most of the indy flicks which have an opening and finale linked by a series of worthless and interchangeable scenes that seldom have anything to do with the story. The score from BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS was utilized well, too. Would relish a legit widescreen release with a HJL interview preferably!:D

I think Hwang didn't want to use too much legwork this time and opted to save it for the opening and then his climatic fights. I liked the chopstick fight too as well as Fan Mei-Sheng's beggar role. I think had he still been alive, I'm guessing Simon Yuen would have played the beggar.

Archived