The top three - bloodiest sb movies !!!

Chen Kuan Tai

THE DEVIL'S MIRROR, right? Where's the slow motion close up shots or the sweeping camera work? Aside from the fantasy elements, this movie looks no different than any of the other swordplay movies out at the time in how it's shot. Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot but there's nothing here similar to anything Chung did in films like AVENGING EAGLE, JUDGEMENT OF AN ASSASSIN, KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, TO KILL A MASTERMIND, HUMAN LANTERNS or DEADLY BREAKING SWORD. I wrote an unfinished article about Chung noting these attributes. The flourish I like the most from him are his shots of the good and bad guys stabbing at each other in slow motion and close up with each combatants blade narrowly missing one another. None of that is in DEVIL'S MIRROR making it, IMO, indistinguishable from other director's work at the time, which considering it was his first film, he probably wasn't given free reign to do what he wanted. Taking that the film bombed horribly it's no surprise Chang Cheh was paired with him to help him out for BLOODY ESCAPE. Chung didn't seem to come into his own until JUDGEMENT...and really hit his stride with EAGLE.

Anyway, here's some other bloody ones--

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

AMBUSH

12 DEADLY COINS

SEVEN MAN ARMY

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to see it again but I didn't like it very much the first time around. I have the lobby set for it. It's not very bloody at least not that I remember. I believe this one was about a gang leader dying and entrusting the gang to his son who was evil. A righteous member (CKT) stands up against him. They have a fortress on a hill too if I remember right. It wasn't anything memorable at all but seeing it again may prove different. It's worth buying though if you're a CKT fan. Shi Szu is in it, too I think.

THE DEVIL'S MIRROR, right? Where's the slow motion close up shots or the sweeping camera work? Aside from the fantasy elements, this movie looks no different than any of the other swordplay movies out at the time in how it's shot. Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot but there's nothing here similar to anything Chung did in films like AVENGING EAGLE, JUDGEMENT OF AN ASSASSIN, KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, TO KILL A MASTERMIND, HUMAN LANTERNS or DEADLY BREAKING SWORD. I wrote an unfinished article about Chung noting these attributes. The flourish I like the most from him are his shots of the good and bad guys stabbing at each other in slow motion and close up with each combatants blade narrowly missing one another. None of that is in DEVIL'S MIRROR making it, IMO, indistinguishable from other director's work at the time, which considering it was his first film, he probably wasn't given free reign to do what he wanted. Taking that the film bombed horribly it's no surprise Chang Cheh was paired with him to help him out for BLOODY ESCAPE. Chung didn't seem to come into his own until JUDGEMENT...and really hit his stride with EAGLE.
You're not looking hard enough.

Chen Kuan Tai
I need to see it again but I didn't like it very much the first time around. I have the lobby set for it. It's not very bloody at least not that I remember. I believe this one was about a gang leader dying and entrusting the gang to his son who was evil. A righteous member (CKT) stands up against him. They have a fortress on a hill too if I remember right. It wasn't anything memorable at all but seeing it again may prove different. It's worth buying though if you're a CKT fan. Shi Szu is in it, too I think.
thx for little review, who is Shi Szu?

who is Shi Szu?

She's the acolyte of Cheng Pei Pei in LADY HERMIT. The swordswoman in BLACK TAVERN who battles Ku Feng at the end. The lady with the two daggers in LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. She was the prostitute everybody wanted in DEADLY BREAKING SWORD. She was the ill fated sister to Yue Hua in A DEADLY SECRET......YOUNG AVENGER, LADY OF THE LAW....

Archived