Martial Arts in the Wild West

TibetanWhiteCrane

From - https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26202

"Facets Video is planning to bring to 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray Ed Warnick's film Manchurian Avenger (1985), starring Derek Abernathy, Bob Coulson, Bobby Kim, and Leila Lee Olsen. The two releases are expected to arrive on the market in Spring 2020.
Synopsis: East meets the Old West in this rather innocuous combination of kung fu and cowboy movies. Kim, out to avenge his father's murder, returns to his old hometown that just happens to be the scene of the crime. This proves to be Kim's old stomping grounds in more ways than one, for shortly after his arrival he's up to his black belt in trouble." 

More here - https://cityonfire.com/4k-ultra-hd-ed-warnick-bobby-kim-dvd-blu-ray-1985-manchurian-avenger/

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Cognoscente
On 2/5/2008 at 11:44 AM, The Dragon said:

FYI, The Stranger and the Gunfighter is the film Carlo Ponti wanted to offer Bruce Lee for $1 million, featuring Sofia Loren in the female lead. This film sucks and I can imagine Lee asking for rewrites of the screenplay, however, with the Nude Ass scenes left in, seeing he was quite the pervert. Too bad they didn't rewrite some of that bad stereotypical dialogue spoken by Lo's character, it's insulting!

I get the impression that, had Lee lived, Malisa Longo would have played the role that Femi Benussi played whereas Sophia Loren would have been the main leading lady instead of Patty Shepard.

• Like 3

Contributing to this old thread (shout out to @TibetanWhiteCrane)

- 5-Man Army (1969) - Tetsuro Tanba shows up as a samurai who is on the side of our heroic train robbers;

- Robin Hood, Arrows, Beans and Karate (1973)

- Tiger on the River Kwai (1975) - Spaghetti Western with a Thai boxer in the lead

• Like 4

On 2/6/2008 at 4:07 PM, vengeanceofhumanlanterns said:

Today We Kill... Tomorrow We Die.

Was this film shown on a double bill with Gladys, the Groovy Mule?

• Like 1

Ghost Rock (2003), directed by Dustin Rikert and co-written by Michael Worth, had some martial arts in it. Originally, the role of Weng was going to go to Tan Tao-liang by he returned to China and was replaced by the legendary James Hong.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Cognoscente

I would have loved to have seen Polly Shang Kwan saddle up in a Western. She seems like she would have been game for it in the photo taken for the August '73 issue (#44) of Cinemart.

psk.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

I would have loved to have seen Polly Shang Kwan saddle up in a Western. She seems like she would have been game for it in the photo taken for the August '73 issue (#44) of Cinemart.

Yowzas!!!!!!

She was so hawt!

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Golden Harvest should have thought about casting her in a Western where Chuck Norris fires guns and punches people while Polly kicks and uses darts.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Someone should have made a movie with her called Buffalo Butch (the below was taken from the March '77 issue of Four Seas).

psk77.jpg

• Like 2

There is one obscure Spaghetti western called Death Walks in Laredo with a karate guy in it. It's quite good, I think it's up on YouTube if someone is interested.

• Like 3

AlexanderFu

In The Magic Blade, Ti Lung is practically wearing Cling Eastwood's Poncho!

That is as much an East meets West 'Western' as I can think of off the top of my head.

Love that movie and Pursuit of Vengeance.

• Like 2

Wild Wild West TV series - the main character James West, played by the late Robert Conrad, got into plentiful fisticuffs every episode, and though boxing seemed to be his primary style, he'd also throw some MA moves every now and then.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, Django said:

There is one obscure Spaghetti western called Death Walks in Laredo with a karate guy in it. It's quite good, I think it's up on YouTube if someone is interested.

That's James Shigeta as one of the brothers and it's awful if you expect to see any martial arts action. I have no idea why they even cast an Asian martial arts expert if he's not going to do any martial arts?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Cognoscente said:

psk.jpg

Sweet Jesus. 

• Like 1

The Outsider - Jon Foo is a Chinese railroad worker in the Old West who seeks revenge against the corrupt lawmen who killed his wife.

Gunfight at Rio Bravo - Olivier Gruner's supporting character of Marshall Carter gets to throw some kicks against one of Matthias Hues's henchmen in the final action set piece. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 6/11/2021 at 4:41 AM, Cognoscente said:

The closest that she got to doing a Western was The Venturer (1976). Has anyone seen this?

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-bBuVdCqVBNi5Nq.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Vi09nRdzjRS.jpg

Yes. Good flick I recall. I have it somewhere.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 2/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, Agent U said:

Wild Wild West TV series - the main character James West, played by the late Robert Conrad, got into plentiful fisticuffs every episode, and though boxing seemed to be his primary style, he'd also throw some MA moves every now and then.

He was a black belt in Kajukenbo. And a golden gloves champ.

• Like 3

Kihachi Okamoto's 1995 film titled '' EAST MEETS WEST '' starring Hiroyuki Sanada with Tatsuya Nakadai , Hideyo Amamoto and Naoto Takenaka ( who darned near manages to steal the film . ) I searched YouTube in vain for a trailer to post , but nada ...

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 2/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, danthemandmv said:

Kihachi Okamoto's 1995 film titled '' EAST MEETS WEST '' starring Hiroyuki Sanada with Tatsuya Nakadai , Hideyo Amamoto and Naoto Takenaka ( who darned near manages to steal the film . ) I searched YouTube in vain for a trailer to post , but nada ...

Dude, I watched this on Tubi a year or so ago. You might find it there. It's a good movie.

• Like 2