Martial Arts in the Wild West

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

I always found this to be an odd, but fun mix! Right back to A FIST FULL OF DOLLARS being a remake of YOJIMBO, or movies like SAVAGE FIVE and others being hugely western inspired! And the countless Kung Fu flicks set spaghetti western music. It is kind of a narrow genre, but here is what I have come up with so far, feel free to add more if you know any....!

KUNG FU tv series- David Carradine

SHANGHAI JOE- Chen Lee, Klaus Kinski

RED SUN- Toshiro Mifune- Charles Bronson

THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER- Lo Lieh, Lee Van Cleef

SUN DRAGON(kind of)- Billy Chong, Carl Scott

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA AND AMERICA- Jet Li

SHANGHAI NOON- Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson

If you know of any more, please add them!

• Like 2

I`m not pro on spaghetti cinema but in italian wild west comics popular topic was chinese triad immigrants in san francisco or similar.Surprising if they have not appeared movies either.

Cleaning up, I just found my copy of "The Stranger & the Gunfighter", I think I will pop it in now.

FYI, The Stranger and the Gunfighter is the film Carlo Ponti wanted to offer Bruce Lee for $1 million, featuring Sofia Loren in the female lead. This film sucks and I can imagine Lee asking for rewrites of the screenplay, however, with the Nude Ass scenes left in, seeing he was quite the pervert. Too bad they didn't rewrite some of that bad stereotypical dialogue spoken by Lo's character, it's insulting!

Lee Van Clief was always a BaddAss, though, no matter what film he was in.

Are you reading, this, Chuck Norris?

:cool:

Btw, I think The Hot, The Cool, And The Vicious is kind of a Western inspired Kung Fu Film. So is Struggle Through Death, and Kung Fu Commandos.

• Like 1

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Today We Kill... Tomorrow We Die. A Tatsuya Nakadai italian (or spanish)western with the story (or script) written by Dario Argento. The movie is stupid with the exception of Tatsuya's scenes. The english dub for Tatsuya fits his facial features and he really looks sadistic in his role as a bandito.

I thought I'd make a thread to discuss about movies that mix elements of the old American west with the old Asian east. While unfortunately most of them don't seem to be that good I still find the concept interesting, however my favourites are The Millionaires' Express, SHANGHAI NOON and RED SUN. Others I'm aware of include THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER aka BLOOD MONEY, THE FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE, DRAGON BLOOD, SUN DRAGON, ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA & AMERICA, SHANGHAI KNIGHTS and SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO.

MV5BZDY1NjRiZjEtNjhlZC00ZTdjLWIwNTItZjM5

Alain Delon and Toshiro Mifune on the set of RED SUN:

MV5BMTNkYjEyMzAtYjUyZC00YTY2LWE0OTEtYjgy

• Like 3

The Good The Bad The Weird, a 2008 South Korean western set in Manchuria in 1939, with a treasure map, a bounty hunter, Manchurian bandits, and the Japanese army.  It has a great soundtrack too. 

The Good the Bad the Weird Poster

Good The Bad The Weird O.S.T.

• Like 3

There's Trinity Goes East starring Steve Tartalia, John Liu, and Robert Tai. I believe it's supposed to be based on the Trinity franchise starring Terence Hill.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I thought I'd make a thread to discuss about movies that mix elements of the old American west with the old Asian east.

Good idea for a thread @Silver and Gold Dragon.

The following production I've never viewed, it might lean more towards the swordplay genre?.

Warrior'sWay.jpg

Actress Kate Bosworth.

the_warrior_s_way33.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, DragonClaws said:

Love this movie,it was the first Kung fu movie I ever saw.👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 4

On 10/21/2018 at 2:19 PM, ShawAngela said:

Savate looks interesting !

I enjoyed it, and my girlfriend even stuck it out until the end, though that might have had more to do with, ex French special forces member Olivier Gruner.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Not the greatest movie ever made, but this is the best looking print I've seen for this pubic domian movie?. When I viewed this on T.V, it was the common cropped full screen print. Which was also heavily scratched up.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 3:44 PM, DragonClaws said:

I enjoyed it, and my girlfriend even stuck it out until the end, though that might have had more to do with, ex French special forces member Olivier Gruner.

I believe this was a made for cable movie, remember seeing it on HBO in the 90s and taped it. Oliver had some good, quick kicks in this and I enjoyed it too. Don't know if you've seen Angel Town but it's his best imo.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 3:39 PM, DragonClaws said:

Not the greatest movie ever made, but this is the best looking print I've seen for this pubic domian movie?. When I viewed this on T.V, it was the common cropped full screen print. Which was also heavily scratched up.

Got the German DVD of this from the X Rated label and I believe that's the same print. It's not bad for the time it was made. The star Chen Lee is actually a Karate stylist.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CT KID said:

Got the German DVD of this from the X Rated label and I believe that's the same print. It's not bad for the time it was made. The star Chen Lee is actually a Karate stylist.

Hoped it might have been done by some Western fan's, rather than lifted from an official release.

• Like 2