Tong Yim Chaan in Marco Polo

Endsang

I thought this was a pretty decent movie, and Bruce Tong Yim Chaan was definately my favorite here. It's a shame that he was underrated and usually gets killed off in the movies he appear in, but man, I got the major chills when he started tearing the whole place apart at the end and wreaking havoc. Definately the highlight of the movie.

Anyways, I was wondering about the qigong exercises he uses during his training sequences. It seemed like a mix of a soft and hard style, as it was too fluid to be Hung Gar, and a bit too rough for tai chi. Anyone know what I'm talking about here? Just wondering if it's based on a real kung fu style, or invented for this movie.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if noone knows, I suppose we could discuss the movie instead. :)

SPOILERS AHEAD

The training sequences dominated a large part of the movie, and reminded me a bit about Shaolin Temple, due to the same stars learning kung fu through repetitive everyday tasks. Very cool lumberjacking from Chi Kuan Chun.

I kinda wished the movie would have built up to another assault on the mongolian emperor like in the beginning with Carter Wong, instead of battling it out in the mansion while they were still training. Rather standard Shaw story with some highlights (as mentioned in previous post).

As for Marco Polo himself, I thought his character was rather weak, but then again.. too much of him would probably have ruined the movie for me.

Any thoughts?

I was under the impression that Tang Yen San was training in Tai Chi Chuan as you initially specified.

Too much Richard Harrison ruins any movie he's in although to be fair, he does appear awake throughout BOXER REBELLION and comes to life ONCE during MARCO POLO. However, his best movies are his peplums. He hardly seems the same actor in those.

I really like those two films, The Boxer Rebellion and Marco Polo. The training sequences are fun and the music, and the main characters are very likeable.

Chinatown Kid

I really liked those films as well, the heroes training hard in a specific Kung fu style and then facing off with the villains in a bloody nihilistic battle. Classic Chang Cheh!

I, too thought Tang's section of the finale was the highlight of the movie. But I think the US title was more appropriate as opposed to MARCO POLO considering he gets less screen time than the four main protagonists.

I wasn't sure about getting Boxer Rebellion, but you think I will enjoy it if I liked Marco Polo?

If Tong was practicing tai chi, he was either doing a style I've never seen, or just performing it a bit weird. I don't know, I think I'll have to see that sequence again. It just looked a bit tense.

Tang has a great scene in BOXER REBELLION but it's a long movie and know that it has a number of dramatic sequences. It runs something like 45 minutes longer than the US version, BLOODY AVENGERS, which showcased all the action scenes and trimmed much of the dialog even successfully eliminating the female co-stars! You never see them in that one. There are a number of memorable scenes, though. Just be prepared for some healthy doses of character interaction mixed with the large scale action/battle sequences during the films 137 minute running time.

I really liked the Kuo Chui and Johnny Wang Lung Wei fight, it was a great match up of brute force against acrobatic prowess, it's a shame these two didn't get a chance to go at it more often, it's been a while since I seen it I don't remember the Bruce Tong fight, time to throw this in the "to be watched" pile again.

Archived