Duel With Samurai (1971)

falkor

I don't think this was around with English subs before...

http://www.rarekungfumovies.com/forum/images/dws1.jpg

http://www.rarekungfumovies.com/forum/images/dws2.jpg

Duel with Samurai (Taiwan, 1971) - Pre-FIST OF FURY anti-Japanese wuxia film about a brother/sister pair of Japanese martial artists who defeat the local Chinese masters, set up shop in China and go around terrorizing the populace and systematically slaughtering their Chinese rivals. The only way to defeat them is for one of their number to learn an esoteric kung fu style called the Absolute Power stance. It's sort of a back-handed compliment to Japanese martial arts, establishing that they're so good that only the most esoteric of Chinese styles can defeat them. The Chinese Boxer did something similar.

There's a lot of action, nearly all of it weapons-based, brought to you by Chen Shih-Wei (One-Armed Boxer) and Yu Tien-Lung (Eagle's Claw and Butterfly Palm). While most of the characters use swords, the 7 masters use knives and chain whips, one Chinese master uses a Swiss Army Umbrella, another fighter uses a tonfa with a blade hidden in it, etc. Also, the Japanese masters have supernatural techniques: the brother can telekinetically control his knife, while the sister can disappear and reappear at will. And that sister, played by Chan Ching Hsia (she plays Jackie Chan's mother in TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE), tries to seduce our hero at one point and removes her kimono. I really shouldn't say this, but she had a nice rack.

Oh, and Chinese title translates into "Tai Chi Sword versus Katana".

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Decent flick. Might have been cooler if they got some guys that really knew how to use the steel whips and used real steel whips. Good that they acknowledged that Samurai would have been tough to deal with, of course they are magical in this, so there's that. I remember looking high and low for this flick. It would be cool if it pops up as a remaster someday and I would be happy to sub it. Either way, fun little popcorn Wu Xia.

• Like 2