The Punisher: 1989 version

AlbertV

Has anyone seen the Dolph Lundgren version of The Punisher??? I got it in the $5.00 DVD bin at Wal-Mart and I was reading the production notes.

IMO, Lundgren made a very good Frank Castle, but the script was pretty blah. Sad considering it was written by Robert Mark Kamen, who later wrote The Transporter movies with Luc Besson.

Most of the action in the scenes were karate fights. According to the production notes, there was no fight choreographer and that Lundgren and the other karate fighters pretty much did the fight choreography themselves to bring a realistic feel to the fights. Hmmmm...sounds kind of iffy.

If anyone saw this, what do you think of it?

My favorite line in the movie:

Jake: What the hell do you call killing 125 people in 5 years?

Frank: A work in progress.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen 2004 punisher so can`t compare them.Usually movies from Marvel Comics are LAME but this is exception.Lots of violence and Dolph was perfect as Frank Castle.Short but vicious fight against daughter of yakuza boss is highlight of the movie.

Good purchase for fiver.

Not sure if it's still in print, but there was a British(?) dvd that featured the original workprint along with the cut US version of the Lundgren version.

I have the 2004 version and the big so-called non-gun fight is between Thomas Jane's Frank Castle and NWA wrestler Kevin Nash as The Russian.

I heard that the upcoming Punisher: War Zone's action will consist of 70% gun action and 30% hand-to-hand combat.

I heard that the upcoming Punisher: War Zone's action will consist of 70% gun action and 30% hand-to-hand combat.

I predict 70% low-budg cheese and 30% total crap.

They keep screwing up a seemingly easy premise by underfunding it and/or sabotaging it with the wrong actors and directors. They shoulda made it w/ Charles Bronson! But this will be the third one and my guess is straight to DVD for this dead horse.

Well, actually it's going to theaters on September 12 and the director is Lexi Alexander, who directed the critically acclaimed Green Street Hooligans. She definitely has her handiwork, as she is a former kickboxing and karate champion. I've seen Green Street Hooligans and she can shoot fight scenes pretty well.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how Ray Stevenson is planning to portray Frank Castle (replacing Thomas Jane). I am looking forward to seeing Dominic West as the villain Jigsaw.

5 Element Boxer

I watched it once when I was younger. And I remember liking it alot. Think I'll rent it and watch it again. I didn't care too much for the newer Punisher movie.

Huge Punisher fan. its actually best to watch the 1989 version after the Tom Jane film. it can kinda work as a sequal[ i reedit my copy and it serves as a good continuation of the punisher story]. by the way, anyone notice the Punisher movies come out the same year the Batmans came out[1989, 2004]. coincidense or his Marvel challenging with there own non super powered hero?

I kind of notice it too daToad. Look at this year, Iron Man comes out in May, The Dark Knight comes out in July, and Punisher: War Zone comes out in September. This may truly be the year of the comic book film.

shaolin drunkard

Dolphs Punisher movie catches spirit of comic lot better than many other Marvel movie.Scrip could be better but it does it`s job well.Better than Tom/Travolta movie.

Lowish budget was kinda suited to this one...

I am a huge Dolph fan, so I am biased but I think this was by far the best Punisher film. The fights were karate style but done in a fairly realistic way.

The biggest problem with this film is that it is nothing like the comic book, and I think that's the main reason so many people dislike this film.

I liked the Dolph "Punisher", too. (I'm not biased....I've liked all of them. I just view them as different versions of the character. I don't think any of them have really given a true portrayal of the comic-book character though.)

My only complaint is that there's really no one his size in it for him to fight.:tongue:

I remember an interview with the original writer or director (can't remember-this was a long time ago), where he mentioned he had to leave the project and they didn't let him do what he wanted to do. He mentioned little things like the character spray painting a skull onto a bullet proof vest, stuff like that which would have made it closer to the comic.

I remember an interview with the original writer or director (can't remember-this was a long time ago), where he mentioned he had to leave the project and they didn't let him do what he wanted to do. He mentioned little things like the character spray painting a skull onto a bullet proof vest, stuff like that which would have made it closer to the comic.

In reference to the bolded part, in an ironic twist, was exactly was what used in 2008's PUNISHER film, WAR ZONE.

The original writer was Boaz Yakin. He did have Castle spray-painting the skull and had more hand-to-hand fights and less shootouts. Robert Mark Kamen rewrote the script and Yakin had a war of words with him in the fan press before the movie was shelved (thanks to New World's bankruptcy). It was quietly released on VHS two years later. Director Mark Goldblatt recently verified with me that you can call THE PUNISHER an Ozsploitation movie since it was an all-Aussie crew.

Yakin did Fresh, the film from the 90s, that was a great, underappreciated film. Yep, The Punisher did have an Australian crew, I think- I might have the interview somewhere still.

One Armed Boxer

For anyone who's a fan of this movie, pretty much as close to an ultimate edition to it as you're going to get has just been released in Germany, here's the link -

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=51271&language=uk

Impressive spec, but kind of frustrating for someone like me who only has a DVD player to find the true uncut version is only included on Blu-ray -

* BLU-RAY: R-rated version (89min) & uncut version (90min)

* DVD: Unrated Version (86min)

* Bonus DVD: Workprint (about 94 minutes) * 20-page booklet by Thomas Witzler * Exclusive produced audio commentary with Mark Goldblatt * Gag Reel (about 6 minutes) * Gallery with rare promotional material

Impressive spec, but kind of frustrating for someone like me who only has a DVD player to find the true uncut version is only included on Blu-ray -

Fear not, bro:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Punisher-Lungren-UNRATED-Version/dp/B004ERYG46/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366204740&sr=8-7&keywords=punisher+lundgren

I've just got this very DVD in the past week and I can confirm that it is indeed fully uncut - plus, it has the workprint version as well as the deleted stuff, too.

If you have any problems ordering it, PM me.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
For anyone who's a fan of this movie, pretty much as close to an ultimate edition to it as you're going to get has just been released in Germany, here's the link -

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=51271&language=uk

Whoa! Cool news!

Bro, take the leap. I was a holdout for a long time. But once my wife surprised me with a PS3 for our anniversary and I watched a Blu-ray, I was hooked! :nerd:

Fear not, bro:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Punisher-Lungren-UNRATED-Version/dp/B004ERYG46/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366204740&sr=8-7&keywords=punisher+lundgren

I've just got this very DVD in the past week and I can confirm that it is indeed fully uncut - plus, it has the workprint version as well as the deleted stuff, too.

Holy cow Batman! Can't believe this is suddenly readily available now! :smile:

Thanks for the info guys. If next month is a little more prosperous, I will definitely be grabbing this.

One Armed Boxer
Fear not, bro:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Punisher...isher+lundgren

Thanks Karlos, I decided to go with this version in the end -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Punisher-3D-Holocover-Ultrasteel-Edition-Lundgren/dp/B0056UOBOA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366255754&sr=8-2&keywords=punisher+uncut

The mention of 'holocover' and 'ultrasteel' got me.

I'm planning to do a Dolph double-bill, as I also have the uncut version of 'The Joshua Tree' on the way thanks to Jox and Kung Fu Bob. I've actually never seen either.

Bro, take the leap. I was a holdout for a long time. But once my wife surprised me with a PS3 for our anniversary and I watched a Blu-ray, I was hooked!

I will one day!

Workprint is poor quality according to dvdcompare

By their very nature work prints will be poor quality, they're essentially rough drafts of the movie before they finish post production on the final product. Albert Pyun recently released a similar print of his movie 'Cyborg' which was the same condition, but also happened to be his only original cut that he wanted.

I like the 89 PUNISHER a lot. For all the gripping people have thrown in its direction, it's actually really energetic and violent at times. Some of the set-pieces have the pop of a Sam Raimi style set-piece.

One Armed Boxer
I truly wish this would get a BR release. I thought it was a good movie.

daisho2004...check out post 18 - uncut Blu-ray edition!

Archived