The Never Back Down Quadrilogy (2008/2011/2016/2021)

Dragon Ma

I honestly thought it was better than the first flim myself. The fight scenes were epic, Michael Jai White as always was impressive.

Thanks for the review. I never saw the first film, maybe I will check it out now.

The film is not a good one by any means but it's not boring either, which is one of the most important things to me.

It has a decent story that moves along nicely even though there is some stupid and cliche things going on.

MMA is a hard thing to bring to the screen and fictionalize because real mma fights are so exciting.

Todd Duffee is not a good actor but he has a presence. He looks a bit like a pumped and roided version of Dolph Lundgren the way Dolph looked in Army of One. I am sure if Duffee makes more films his acting will be much improved.

The biggest problems are the ultra-low budget, cliches and cheesiness. It is not a terrible movie though. I found it passable.

ShaOW!linDude

By all means, check out the 1st one but I think you'll enjoy it less than this sequel based on your statements. You'll get plenty more stupid and cheesy cliches in the 1st installment.

I agree MMA is hard to properly portray on screen but I thought this did a better job of it than what I've seen in the past. But that's me.

Thanks for the review. I never saw the first film, maybe I will check it out now.

The film is not a good one by any means but it's not boring either, which is one of the most important things to me.

It has a decent story that moves along nicely even though there is some stupid and cliche things going on.

MMA is a hard thing to bring to the screen and fictionalize because real mma fights are so exciting.

Todd Duffee is not a good actor but he has a presence. He looks a bit like a pumped and roided version of Dolph Lundgren the way Dolph looked in Army of One. I am sure if Duffee makes more films his acting will be much improved.

The biggest problems are the ultra-low budget, cliches and cheesiness. It is not a terrible movie though. I found it passable.

The first one was alright but not as good as the second movie. Still it's worth to check it out it's decent enough to watch for some good action.

I agree with you about Todd Duffee although he's okay but his acting will grow as he acts in more flims as years to come.

Overall it was an epic MMA flick despite it's chessie and very cliche in many parts of the flim. I strongly believe this flim was meant for MMA fans, where's the first flick to me i don't want to sound insulting or anything, but i feel the first one was made for the 90210 Audience who don't know anything about MMA... let alone Martial Arts flims.

I love that line Micheal's character said about the Max Character. You tell that little Wannabe Dana White next time he sends a couple of Bitches to train with me he's gonna to have dam problems.

Major news that started out in April...but has been confirmed by Michael Jai White a few weeks ago:

There is going to be a Never Back Down 3. Michael Jai White is looking set to reprise his role of ex-MMA fighter turned mentor Case Walker. He mentioned in April that a draft was being worked on and a few weeks ago, he confirmed via his FB page "look out for news for NBD 3!" and if thats not enough, he posted a photo with himself and Djimon Hounsou (who played the mentor Jean Roqua in the original film) and said "I guess you can call this NBD Generations"...is he teasing an appearance from Hounsou to return as well?

Take that last part with a grain of salt, but it looks like Case Walker may be going another round in the near future.

Per Sam Seed's post about recent Michael Jai White projects in the works, Michael posted on his Facebook page this morning that he is heading to Bangkok to begin work on Never Back Down 3, which will see him return as Elijah "Case" Walker, who is now on the comeback trail in the world of mixed martial arts.

Michael will also be directing this installment, making it his second film as a director after Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown.

Brilliant! I read somewhere that he once posted a photo of himself with Djimon Honsou, which could imply a coming together of both films, which would be great!

Good grief! This yearhas been so good for action, with Furious 7, Skin Trade, and now this! And with SPL 2, looks like we're in for several treats!

One Armed Boxer
Jones joins White, MMA fighter Josh Barnett, Tony Jaa, and Jeeja Yanin.

Tony Jaa is also going to be in this? Now I'm officially interested....this will be Jaa's second team to share the screen with Michael Jai White ('Skin Trade'), Jija Yanin ('Tom Yum Goong 2'), and Nathan Jones ('Tom Yum Goong')....so the prospect of seeing all 4 of them together in the same movie has my curiosity!

Tony Jaa is also going to be in this? Now I'm officially interested....this will be Jaa's second team to share the screen with Michael Jai White ('Skin Trade'), Jija Yanin ('Tom Yum Goong 2'), and Nathan Jones ('Tom Yum Goong')....so the prospect of seeing all 4 of them together in the same movie has my curiosity!

In Sam Seed's link to the interview, Michael Jai White said that Tony Jaa was going to be in the film. Now, while Jeeja has made her confirmation on Facebook about her involvement, I've yet to see Jaa's but I wouldn't be surprised if he does appear in the film.

I just looked at Gillian Waters' Facebook page (she is MJW's fiance) and she posted a photo and news that she will be joining the cast of NBD3. She also posted photos of who will be in the film and two names I didn't see before have popped up:

Hollywood veteran actor Esai Morales (La Bamba) is going to be in it as well as the commentator known as "The Fight Doctor", Stephen Quadros. Quadros confirmed his casting with a comment on the post. And it is safe to say Tony Jaa is going to be in it as well.

I actually liked NBD2 with White as the mentor...now it will be great to see where his character takes him after the events of NBD2.

So here's what we know so far:

Cast:

Michael Jai White (also Director)

Jeeja Yanin

Nathan Jones

Josh Barnett

Gillian Waters

Esai Morales

Stephen Quadros

Brahim Achabbakhe

Ron Smoorenburg

Cinematographer:

Ross Clarkson

Fight Choreographer:

Larnell Stovall

Larnell Stovall is returning for the threequel as fight choreographer. Added to the cast as fighters are Brahim Achabbakhe and Ron Smoorenburg.

Here's a link to a teaser photo on MJW's Facebook page of the man as Case Walker. The photo was taken by DOP Ross Clarkson.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I enjoyed the previous two films, but this new one sounds extra exciting with that cast, and Larnell Stovall doing the Action Choreography. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Michael Jai White does in the action field.

ShaOW!linDude
I enjoyed the previous two films, but this new one sounds extra exciting with that cast, and Larnell Stovall doing the Action Choreography. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Michael Jai White does in the action field.

Me, too.:bigsmile: Glad to see Smoorenburg and Achabakkhe in the cast, too.

I hope this one's better than the last. NBD2 was about a bunch of bros and the odd one of the bunch SPOILER turns out to be the bad guy. Don't get me wrong, some of the action was nice and Michael Jai White did his thing, as usual, but as a whole, the movie just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

So, we know for sure that Jaa's gonna be in this? Because if he is, good-god-damn.

This is from Jaa`s Facebook page

it would be interesting if you are come as cameo in NBD 3 .....i love this movie verry much.... jeeja yanin will be in that film too rigth TJ?

23 · 11 May at 19:19

Tony Jaa Official Jeeja is in the film, and for a cameo hmmm anything is possible TJ

50 · 11 May at 19:52

Tony do you mean you going to be in never back down 3? Awesome!!! Please make more movies with MJW

33 · 11 May at 15:43

Tony Jaa Official No I am not in the film, I am going to be shooting something else that will be announced soon. I am very excited to see Michael Jai Whites film when it is done. TJ

104 · 11 May at 15:49

This is from Jaa`s Facebook page

it would be interesting if you are come as cameo in NBD 3 .....i love this movie verry much.... jeeja yanin will be in that film too rigth TJ?

23 · 11 May at 19:19

Tony Jaa Official Jeeja is in the film, and for a cameo hmmm anything is possible TJ

50 · 11 May at 19:52

Tony do you mean you going to be in never back down 3? Awesome!!! Please make more movies with MJW

33 · 11 May at 15:43

Tony Jaa Official No I am not in the film, I am going to be shooting something else that will be announced soon. I am very excited to see Michael Jai Whites film when it is done. TJ

104 · 11 May at 15:49

Thanks for that confirmation makone. Also read from Ron Smoorenburg's Facebook page this morning that Jaa wasn't going to be in it. And that's okay. Personally, I think the cast here is already stellar.

Yes, I wondered what Smoorenburg was doing these days, still only know him from Who Am I

He's been living in Thailand for the past few years, working as an actor, stuntman, and fight choreographer at times.

He can be seen in TEKKEN 2: KAZUYA'S REVENGE, NINJA 2: SHADOW OF A TEAR, SKIN TRAFFIK and will be seen in BROTHERS (Bollywood version of WARRIOR) and WARRIOR'S GATE.