The Never Back Down Quadrilogy (2008/2011/2016/2021)

Dragon Ma

One Armed Boxer
I never saw UNDISPUTED (starring Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes). I'm just not a big "boxing" movie fan. I don't think it was received very well but I may be wrong about that. (I don't know anyone who's seen it or spoken highly of it.) But UNDISPUTED 2 was off the chain! And it was a breakout role for Scott Adkins and spawned a 3rd installment. (I hope they do a 4th.)

NBD2 may very well do the same thing. With MJW's name recognition and the film hopefully being more MA heavy, there might very be another MA star to surface as a result. That may be wishful thinking on my part but, hey, I'm a dreamer.

My thoughts are along the same lines as yours ShawOWlin!Dude. Personally I haven't seen 'Never Back Down', and to be honest I have zero interest in checking it out...completely zero.

However, like you said, similar to what happened with the 'Undisputed' series, I am viewing this movie as a collaboration between Michael Jai White and Larnell Stovall, as opposed to a sequel to a movie which basically resembles 'The O.C.' with some fighting mixed in.

It's all about perspective....and that perspective makes the prospect of 'Never Back Down 2' a whole lot more appealing!

ShaOW!linDude

However, like you said, similar to what happened with the 'Undisputed' series, I am viewing this movie as a collaboration between Michael Jai White and Larnell Stovall, as opposed to a sequel to a movie which basically resembles 'The O.C.' with some fighting mixed in.

It's all about perspective....and that perspective makes the prospect of 'Never Back Down 2' a whole lot more appealing!

That's what I'm talking about!

I have no doubt that this has the potential to be better than the first one. None whatsoever.

I personally think Never Back Down is a very good movie and the fight scenes were well executed. It evokes the spirit of the original Karate Kid more than the recent Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan project.

Okay, NEVER BACK DOWN 2 at ActionFest turned out to be a "rough cut" of the film. It was reviewed with a bit of mixed reaction and what the reviewer suggests should be in the final cut, due for release in June at Twitch

ShaOW!linDude

Sounds like they need to do some very wise editing which is understandable as they aren't presenting a finished film as yet. I've got hopes for this movie. June isn't far off.:bigsmile:

Fat_Dragon
P9dJAK2hgZA

i just watched this, i think it looks Awesome, sucks neither main stars from the first are in it but i already knew that long ago lol, we get max cooperman back but hes lost so much weight he dont really look like his character from the first lol,,,, i love the scene where MjW drops those cops lol

ShaOW!linDude

I may be going out on a limb but it could be that this one is better than the first one. It's looking that way to me. It may do like UNDISPUTED 2 and tromp its predecessor.

One Armed Boxer

I know I'm going to get pelted for saying this, but it looks pretty tiresome for me. In regards to the trailer, if it wants to try and distinguish itself from the 100 other MMA tournament movies that come out every month, they should really resort to a different technique than cutting to and from fight scene clips to pole dancing scantily clad ladies in a club, it's been seen too many times before.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal taste, personally I have a pretty low tolerence for movies where the action choreography is confined to a ring or octagon, the only movie I've really enjoyed which fits into this genre was 'Undisputed 3' (sorry, never seen the second!). I prefer the action to be more varied in terms of location, which is why I have high hopes that if they make 'Undisputed 4' it will move away from the tournament format.

But for 'Never Back Down 2', it just looks like more of the same octagon action, with the usual stereotypical laundry list of reasons that the characters have for wanting to fight, I guess I'll skip this one.

ShaOW!linDude
I know I'm going to get pelted for saying this, but it looks pretty tiresome for me.

Hold on a sec. I've got a basket of rotten vegetables 'round here somewhere.:tongue:

In regards to the trailer, if it wants to try and distinguish itself from the 100 other MMA tournament movies that come out every month, they should really resort to a different technique than cutting to and from fight scene clips to pole dancing scantily clad ladies in a club, it's been seen too many times before.

You're absolutely right about that. It's become pretty dated. I guess I'm pretty numb to it though as I view it as nothing more than a way to segue from fight to fight. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoyed BLOODSPORT 2 & 3 so much. It's tournament based but the fights are all really well done. Not just the hero's but even the supporting cast member fighters. They were good showcases.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal taste, personally I have a pretty low tolerence for movies where the action choreography is confined to a ring or octagon, the only movie I've really enjoyed which fits into this genre was 'Undisputed 3' (sorry, never seen the second!). I prefer the action to be more varied in terms of location, which is why I have high hopes that if they make 'Undisputed 4' it will move away from the tournament format.

Well, I'd encourage you to invest in just one more MMA underground fight movie and get UNDISPUTED 2. You're missing out, bro. I actually enjoy Adkins' fights in it more than the 3rd one.

But for 'Never Back Down 2', it just looks like more of the same octagon action, with the usual stereotypical laundry list of reasons that the characters have for wanting to fight, I guess I'll skip this one.

Laundry list reasons to fight in a MMA underground tournament:

1) "Nobody understands me."

2) "I have an inexplicable violent streak."

3) "I have something to prove."

4) "I need to win money for someone's operation."

5) "I need money to keep a home/business/school out of foreclosure."

6) "I have gambling debts."

7) "Revenge."

8) "I'm an excellent fighter but emotionally convoluted person when it comes to violence and someone is holding a family member hostage or blackmailing me in some way and forcing me to do this."

9) "Fighting over a woman."

10) "I'm engaging in this dangerous sport to repress and at the same time indulge my homosexuality."

Hmmm.....I think that about covers it.:tongue:

dionbrother

Saw it at Actionfest, with Michael Jai White sitting behind me. He refers to coffee as "wake-up juice" so I call it that all the time. Honestly, it's the most fun I had with any movie of the fest. It works on a ROADHOUSE level (fighting, tits, goofy plot machinations). The MMA fights are more cinematic than the predecessor, and there is a respect and props to tradition (look for a Lyoto Machida cameo as he does a kata with MJW, beautiful scene for the karate devotee). The villain of the film is a great plot twist. Superior to the first movie in every way. Could use some trimming, but my posse enjoyed the hell out of it, including a friend who is not into MMA at all.

Definitely worth a redbox rental.

Actually looks pretty good. You're lucky to have seen the "rough cut" dionbrother :) I am looking out for this one.

Just posted on the main site...got a release date for NBD2

September 13th, 2011 on DVD - Unrated Edition!!!!

AndyWayne84

I hope it's better than the first one interms of action. I hearing people already judging it before even taking a glance at it because the same Actors from the first aren't there, wow i wonder if people were slaiming Undisputed 2 because it was going to change into a MMA flim instead of a Boxing flim like the first one. I'm glad we got real Martial Artists in the flim not some 90210 type actors performing MMA i'm sick of that BS.

Elemental Fist
I personally think Never Back Down is a very good movie and the fight scenes were well executed. It evokes the spirit of the original Karate Kid more than the recent Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan project.

Got to disagree there, I found the KK remake watchable while I couldn't stand Never Back Down.

I hope it's better than the first one interms of action. I hearing people already judging it before even taking a glance at it because the same Actors from the first aren't there, wow i wonder if people were slaiming Undisputed 2 because it was going to change into a MMA flim instead of a Boxing flim like the first one. I'm glad we got real Martial Artists in the flim not some 90210 type actors performing MMA i'm sick of that BS.

There is only one character who returns from the original. Jake's new friend (and the comic relief of sorts of the original) Max Cooperman, played by Evan Peters, does in fact return. Max runs the Beatdown competition in the sequel. And the screenwriter of the original film also wrote the sequel.

I'm actually excited that they casted real martial artists this time around. Michael Jai White, Todd Duffee (UFC fighter), Scott Epstein (MMA fighter), Dean Geyer (he may be more known as a musician and TV actor but his father Keith Geyer was one of the fighters in Kill or be Killed and trained Dean at a young age), and Lyoto Machida. Plus with Larnell Stovall as fight choreographer, I'm actually stoked.

I actually was excited that Undisputed II went from boxing to MMA because Isaac Florentine stated that martial arts were more exciting to see on screen than boxing.

AndyWayne84
There is only one character who returns from the original. Jake's new friend (and the comic relief of sorts of the original) Max Cooperman, played by Evan Peters, does in fact return. Max runs the Beatdown competition in the sequel. And the screenwriter of the original film also wrote the sequel.

I'm actually excited that they casted real martial artists this time around. Michael Jai White, Todd Duffee (UFC fighter), Scott Epstein (MMA fighter), Dean Geyer (he may be more known as a musician and TV actor but his father Keith Geyer was one of the fighters in Kill or be Killed and trained Dean at a young age), and Lyoto Machida. Plus with Larnell Stovall as fight choreographer, I'm actually stoked.

I actually was excited that Undisputed II went from boxing to MMA because Isaac Florentine stated that martial arts were more exciting to see on screen than boxing.

At least it's good to hear Even Peters who played Max Cooperman is returning which makes alot of sense for his character running The Beatdown Competition. The cast in the flim i'm looking foward to seeing besides Michael Jai White, never even heard of Keith Geyer till now thanks for the info about him AlbertV.

Larnell Stovall as the Fight Choreographer in the flim is a bonus to me, don't understand why people are already ranting about the fights not being real enough for the flim. The first one was good but of course since part 2 has real MMA Fighters of course the direction will be changed the actors from the first flim weren't real Martial Artist.

I was glad that Isaac turned Undisputed II into a MMA flim instead of a Boxing flim. I remember people ranting about it till Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins, were seen in the trailer and when people saw the movie people suddenly embraced the changes.

Hold on a sec. I've got a basket of rotten vegetables 'round here somewhere.:tongue:

You're absolutely right about that. It's become pretty dated. I guess I'm pretty numb to it though as I view it as nothing more than a way to segue from fight to fight. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoyed BLOODSPORT 2 & 3 so much. It's tournament based but the fights are all really well done. Not just the hero's but even the supporting cast member fighters. They were good showcases.

Well, I'd encourage you to invest in just one more MMA underground fight movie and get UNDISPUTED 2. You're missing out, bro. I actually enjoy Adkins' fights in it more than the 3rd one.

Laundry list reasons to fight in a MMA underground tournament:

1) "Nobody understands me."

2) "I have an inexplicable violent streak."

3) "I have something to prove."

4) "I need to win money for someone's operation."

5) "I need money to keep a home/business/school out of foreclosure."

6) "I have gambling debts."

7) "Revenge."

8) "I'm an excellent fighter but emotionally convoluted person when it comes to violence and someone is holding a family member hostage or blackmailing me in some way and forcing me to do this."

9) "Fighting over a woman."

10) "I'm engaging in this dangerous sport to repress and at the same time indulge my homosexuality."

Hmmm.....I think that about covers it.:tongue:

Lol. Thats a perfect list, its like you watched the movie. Most of those reasons apply here. :tongue:

Way better than the first, the fight scenes are excellent,the story is good and the characters are interesting and well played.Everything is a notch above for a movie of this genre. MJW should get more directing gigs.

Cool beans! Glad to hear that. Still have to wait 2 weeks but I'm getting psyched up now.

If you don't wanna wait you can always watch it online. Thats how I saw it. :smile:

Great review, AV.

I posted my own yesterday. Hope to see more of these guys in MA films.

Great 1st time out as director for MJW, too. Look forward to more from him in that regard as well.

I do like how they did reference the Beatdown online by showing pieces of the original film's fight between Sean Faris and Cam Gigandet...that made it a big help is showing that in some ways, it is a true sequel.