The Never Back Down Quadrilogy (2008/2011/2016/2021)

Dragon Ma

I don't know if this is the right forum but I came across the trailer for this film, it looked like your usual teen drama only with underground fighting, maybe if Isaac Florentine had directed it, it might look more promising.

Here's the trailer for those who are still interested.

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2008/NOPQR/Never-Back-Down/trailer.php

Oh I saw this trailer. The movie is now called Never Back Down. I like to think of it as the Karate Kid of the Millennium.

it's funny how Flash Point will also be getting a US theatrical release on the same day, March 14th. it's sad however, that Flash Point will only be getting a crappy limited release while this watered-down looking teenage Hollywood bullshit will be playing nationwide. somebody has their priorities fucked up!

you know i was watching the preview to this boo boo, and I couldn't help but think this looks familiar...hmmm i wonder... then I saw Djimon Hounsou lookin kinda tai-bo then I just said I knew it..I'm not sure if anyone would remember, but this clearly seems like a remake of a early 90's Billy Blanks u.s. martial arts straight to video movie called "Showdown"

It does look that way WongFury, except Blanks was a cop turned janitor in Showdown while Hounsou is just a mixed martial arts coach.

Showdown you can say was a remake of sorts to The Karate Kid, and even had references plus the illegal fighting in it.

it seems like a little bit a both to me. showdown had the illegal fight ring in but the when you really look at it even at that time elements was ripped from karate kid, i guess they just update it to the modern fads

My favorite part of Showdown was when Kenn Scott begins training and he's cleaning the toilets:

Kenn: Oh I know, this is going to be like "Wax On. Wax Off. Pain the Fence. Sand the floor?"

Billy: No. This is called "toilet cleaning".

BIG NEWS:

Sean Faris and Cam Gigandet, who played the hero and baddie from the movie just won BEST FIGHT at the MTV Movie Awards tonight!!!

Enjoyed the film thoroughly; the action, the formlaic plot, even the corny one-liners. But the factor that MADE the film was the soundtrack. There was NO official soundtrack released for the film so I ended up finding a list of all the songs and downloaded them into a playlist. Gonna upload it on my new eSnips account. Great stuff.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080316064201AAPWekc

The main set, the officially featured ones, are on the second post.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I figure it'll probably have a cliched story and characters, but if it's got good action I'd still check it out.

Is it worth seeing? Anyone?

Mark Pollard

Youtube comments on the trailer I posted savaged the film. I'll probably get around to reviewing it eventually. I'm always interested in seeing how films marketed at different audiences handle martial arts action. This one seems to be aimed at the male portion of the BRING IT ON demographic.

The movie had decent enough fighting.My favorite scene is the stereotypical one;main baddie has our heroes girl(arm around her and all to show ownership) and while he is blah blah blahing to his friends, she is dreamily looking off with a look on her face that says(*sigh*)"I wish I were free of his possession".And I'm thinking to myself, 'B!+c# its just high school! It'll be over @3:00 then you can go home'.

the teacher (fellow from amistad) had fluid jiujitsu. wonder if he trains. not bad moves

however the film was ricockulous. there needs to be a better film that represents mma and jiujitsu.

redbelt was pretty close

The Running Man
there needs to be a better film that represents mma and jiujitsu.

Yeah, they are "SPL" and "Flash Point". ;)

Redbelt had a very good script, but the fight scenes were terrible. If one could take the script of Redbelt and combine it with the fight scenes of Flash Point, you would have a true classic in your hands.

just got around to see this and was shocked. I thought it will bad, another hollywood tennie bopper fight movie, come on.

I was pleasently surprised by the fighting, alot better than expected. Too much MMA tho, like UFC taken outside, not every realistic, very cheographed.

I don't want to go into the plot or story, cause, well, it doesn't need attention.

But was definetly bearable. 7 out of 10

I just saw this movie and all I can say is that it was rubbish. The fighting was dull and uninspired, in my personal opinion, and the way the whole school was interested in these mixed martial-arts fights was laughable.