Lau Kar Wing?

Asmo

This might not be the exact place for this, but it seems relevant to me because he's done quite a few movies for Shaw.

I've seen him in a lot of movies for different studios, and to the average eye he doesn't seem to be as well known as Kar Leung and Kar Fai. I was wondering if there's some kind of online biography for him because I'd like to know more about the (seeming) spontaneity of his output (timeline sort of thing I guess, or any sort of info on him besides what's out there), and I've always liked his work.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've seen that. Really informative in regards to films but it doesn't really reveal much.

I may have been misleading in my post but I was referring to his seemingly unpredictable (may not be the right word) release output (working with Sammo and Jackie etc) compared to the consistency showed by Kar Leung and Kar Fai (mostly appearing in/working on Shaw productions).

Hello, Asmo.

You should check out this interview here:

part 1

part 2

There's also an interview with him on the HKL version of Odd Couple, where he talks more about working with Sammo Hung. I don't think there's a lot about the transition from Shaw to Golden Harvest, but it is still quite informative. I couldn't find it on youtube.

Hi, Endsang.

Thank you.

The man is an excellent actor/choreographer but he seems to be overlooked compared to Kar Leung and Kar Fai (not taking anything away from those two).

He may not be as well known as his brothers but true fans respect his work as on the camera and behind it. His works with Sammo really I think is his best work, Knockabout and Odd Couple are two classics that surpass anything he did with Shaw Bros

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Dragon Dynasty's release of King Boxer has a great interview with him. He choreographed the fights in the film. Also, that's got to be one of their best releases english dubs and all.

He's also very good in Shaolin Mantis, with David Chiang. Always seemed to play the "older" master very well. His weaponry skills are equally impressive.

Dragon Dynasty's release of King Boxer has a great interview with him. He choreographed the fights in the film. Also, that's got to be one of their best releases english dubs and all.

The interview is a few posts up :D.

He may not be as well known as his brothers but true fans respect his work as on the camera and behind it. His works with Sammo really I think is his best work, Knockabout and Odd Couple are two classics that surpass anything he did with Shaw Bros

I agree. Seems like he was only sparingly used at Shaw, after a certain period. Nearly always (if not always) in LKL productions, though his roles were memorable (the patriot in 36th Chamber and Lei Ying in Legendary Weapons come to mind).

ironfistedmonk

Treasure Hunters was his greatest moment at Shaws IMO, this is every bit as good as his Sammo collaborations

5 Element Boxer

I have much respect for Lau Kar Wing. He's always in top form in every movie he's in/choreographed. He's not to be overlooked.

I agree, but it seems that he is by a lot of people (at least aesthetically when put up next to Kar Leung and Kar Fai). In movies like Legendary Weapons of China he proved he can stand with those at Shaw but he really allowed himself to branch out (working with Sammo, Jackie etc).

LKW fans should check out the short fight that he has in Those Merry Souls with Yuen Baio. Short but so sweet! The best modern day fight he has I would say is in My Lucky Stars with Sammo. Best old skool is between Odd Couple and Knockabout. Also has anyone noticed in loads of LKL movies LKW gets killed off early on? 36th Chamber springs to mind. . .

Archived