What are the criteria of a film to be called as a Venoms' flick ?

Constable Fu

I am a Venoms' fan and have 15 dvds of their films. Since there have been different opinions as to what constitutes a Venoms' flick, I have tried to choose some acceptable criteria to meet an agreement among fans.:)

These are my criteria on which to decide a Venoms' movie, two of which must be met :

1. A Chang Cheh-directed flick ;

2. At least three (50%) of the six Venoms must play ;

3. Three of any six must take either the lead cast or the supporting cast to a new comer (e.g. LEGEND OF THE FOX), not a superstar.

4. At least two of any three Venoms must play the supporting cast to any Venom who takes the lead (e.g. ODE TO GALLANTRY, HOUSE OF TRAPS).

Based on these, I consider these entries, to name a few, not belonging to the Venoms' filmography :

1. SHAOLIN TEMPLE (This belongs to Ti Lung)

2. NAVAL COMMANDOS (The very young Venoms played as cameos)

3. LIFE GAMBLE (This is Fu Sheng's)

4. CHINATOWN KID (... belongs to Fu Sheng)

5. HEAVEN AND HELL (... again Fu Sheng's)

6. BRAVE ARCHER QUADRILOGY (... Fu Sheng's)

7. TEN TIGERS OF KWANG TUNG (... Ti Lung's)

8. CLAN FEUDS (...Ti Lung's)

9. HUMAN LANTERNS (... Liu Yung's)

However there is one non Chang Cheh-directed flick, in which Kwo Chui directed in Taiwan after the Venoms' fame has dwindled, which I consider as theirs- THE NINJAS (1983).

So, in my opinion, this is their definitive filmography :

1. THE FIVE VENOMS (...meets criterion 1,2,3)

2. INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN (...1,2,3)

3. CRIPPLED AVENGERS (...1,2,3)

4. THE DAREDEVILS (...1,2,3)

5. SHAOLIN RESCUERS (...1,2,3)

6. THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (...1,2,3)

7. THE MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS (...1,2,3)

8. THE REBEL INTRUDERS (...1,2,3)

9. THE FLAG OF IRON (...1,2,3)

10. MASKED AVENGERS (...1,2,3)

11. THE SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD (...1,2,3)

12. TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN (...1,2,3)

13. LEGEND OF THE FOX (...1,2,3)

14. THE HOUSE OF TRAPS (...1,2,4)

15. ODE TO GALLANTRY (...1,2,4)

16. THE NINJAS (... 2,3)

What do you think ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life Gamble is not a Fu Sheng movie. It was during the phase where CC was using him to get is new team together/over, but it wasn't his movie. It was a true ensemble piece but it could be argued that KC had a bigger role.

TTfK wasn't a Ti Lung movie. Once again a ensemble piece. Everyone sharing the bill in the sections, with the younger guys getting the "present day" section.

Heaven and Hell was more Li Yi Min than Fu Sheng. It does qualify as a Venoms movie for me.

I personally believe there has to be at least 4 of the gang in it for it to qualify as a Venoms movie and they have to be playing main roles.

Im a little more strict about my criteria. If a film is missing Phillip Kwok, Lo Meng or Lu Feng I do not consider it a venoms film.

Baronk,

Isn't the final fight scene in THE TEN TIGERS between Ti Lung and Wang Lung Wei ? Are any of the Venoms involved ?

In LIFE GAMBLE, who gets to fight during the climax ? Is it Kwo Chui against Wang Lung Wei ? What about Fu Sheng ?

I have a vague memory on these coz I watched them way back in the 80's and haven't decided to buy the dvds yet.

Thanks for your information.

Baronk,Isn't the final fight scene in THE TEN TIGERS between Ti Lung and Wang Lung Wei ? Are any of the Venoms involved ?

The movie is two-split. It starts with the "baby venoms" (Chin Siu-Ho, Lung Tien Hsiang, etc.) who tell a story about their masters/relatives, who are the ten tigers. The final fight in the ten tigers story is between Ti Lung and Wang Lung Wei, while the movie's final fight is between Chin Siu-Ho/Lung Tien Hsiang and Wong Lik/Kwan Feng. Lu Feng and Phillip Kwok (I think) appears at the end of the fight.

I consider this a venoms movie, as they all appear just as much as any of the others, though it is hard to choose a main character. I would probably say if any, it is Ti Lung, since he appears as the leader of the ten tigers. It not "his" film though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I agree with your criterias and venoms filmography Dave! Well, Maybe not the Taiwanese Ninja movie, but the rest!

Archived