Who is the ultimate Shaw Brothers villain ?

Constable Fu

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chan Shen was the most despicably seedy of ALL Shaw's villains. Couldn't even count the number of times he raped people in SB flicks. No one played scum like him.

Lung Tien Shen was more than promising. Latecomer, needed more roles.

Lu Feng, most physically gifted classic villain; Ku Feng, best actor...

Yeah, WLW's my favourite.

Wang Lung Wei is definitely my favorite villain.

He was a good guy in Martial Club too, wasn't he?

More of a bad guy with some morals. :) I enjoyed his part though.

1. Fung Hak On:p

2. Wang Lung Wei;)

3. Lo Lieh

4. Hwang Jang Lee

5. Kong Do

6. Yen Shi Kwan

7. Lee Hoi San

...and occasionally Lau Kar Wing:rolleyes:

Rondre Sleaze Twin

I have seen other 100 shaw movies. I was wondering who are the top ten deadliest characters from the shaw films. How would you rank them.. I know White Brows would be in the top ten and the villian from Ode to Gallantry. Who are the top dogs.

Blood Sword
I have seen other 100 shaw movies. I was wondering who are the top ten deadliest characters from the shaw films. How would you rank them.. I know White Brows would be in the top ten and the villian from Ode to Gallantry. Who are the top dogs.

Maybe deadliest is villain in "usurpers of emperors power".Heroes are no match for him.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Ku Feng rules. Black Tavern and Avenging Eagle, also Soul Of The Sword. What a bad ass.

Wang Lung We and Ku Feng are certainly my favorites, but I agree Chen Kuan Tai was impressive as a villian as well. In Crippled Avengers for instance he totally outshined Wang Lung Wei and Lu Feng who were in their element in that film.

I would have to agree with the Johnny Wang crowd - he is always ripping people up. He did play the antagonist in Martial Club, but it was a sympathetic character that was more misunderstood than anything else.

I would have to give a strong second to Wong Lik (Wang Li). His roles in the late 70s to the early 80s were very memorable for me, especially in Two Champions of Shaolin.

kungfusamurai

I thought you were going for character. For that, I would say Pai Mei was the most memorable, as portrayed by Lo Lieh.

But in terms of baddies who show up on screen, Wang Lung Wei is right up there. He puts out 120% every time. The only movie where he doesn't do that is Five Venoms. What was Chang Cheh thinking?!! :) Okay, his acting is pretty average, and he's not a man of many facial expressions, but when his arms and legs move, he delivers a kung fu symphony of violence every time.

Next would be Lu Feng, since he played a bad guy or the lead bad guy in most of the Venoms films. He's another one who delivers more than 100% as the bad guy.

Ku Feng is a great bad guy actor, and his fighting is alright, but for me, it's not as dynamic as Wang Lung Wei. If you could have an actor that combines Wang's fighting and Ku's acting, then he'd be the ultimate Shaw villain! :)

KFS

Lo Leih was great as Pai Mei but as far as specific roles I think Ku Feng is unrivaled in films like NOAS, Avenging Eagle, and Black Tavern,.....and then there is Have Sword Will Travel and Soul of the Sword. I dont know what it is, I guess his cunning and guile stands out to me. A character like Pai Mei is too 1 dimensional imo.

I gotta go with Johnny Wang! As soon as I see the mustache I already know some backstabbing trouble is about to ensue...

He played a villain so well, I can't even take his non-villainous rolls seriously...I keep waiting for him to revert back lol :xd:

I would say Frankie Wei, because that guy just always played the sleaziest and meanest characters, I just hated him. I couldn't wait until the hero/heroes just open a can of kick butt on him.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Pai mei's character (as portrayed by Lo Lieh) is cool an all, but is a complete joke compared to the character he portrayed in Human Lanterns. Lo Lieh kicked serious ass in that movie. Wang Li is another great actor and fighter. Under-rated to be sure. He definitely adds to any of the films he's in. Ku Feng though, in Avenging Eagle, Ti Lung's being beaten back at the Eagles fort and insists he's sorry, but Ku Feng delivers this excellent come back. Ti Lung: "I'm sorry I'm really sorry..." Ku Feng:"Nooo your not... your just saying that! OUT OF FEAR OF DEATH!!!" He is definitely one of the alltime kings of villiany in martial arts cinema.

Stuntman Jules
Chan Shen was the most despicably seedy of ALL Shaw's villains. Couldn't even count the number of times he raped people in SB flicks. No one played scum like him.

If you want to be sexually abused in some capacity, you can always count on Chan Shen. The other badguys in the Shaw films will just stick a halberd through you, Chan Shen, well, will stick his own form of halberd through you in a far more uncomfortable way. And he doesn't just rape women if you know what I mean.

One of my favorite moments in Lost Souls has him and his goons corning one of male leads and asking him for his phone number, refusing to take no for an answer. The boy then blurts out something along the lines of "What are you going to do, rape me?" to which Chan Shen's character responds with a priceless, ear to ear grotesque pure evil smile and bulging eyes that Mou's camera zooms into. The boy is then knocked unconcious and the film leads into the male on male rape scene that it is so notorious for. No Shaw Brothers villain has ever pulled a stunt quite like that.

T.F. Mou and Chan Shen were close friends before he died. They probably were a lot like Fukasaku and Chiba in how they saw eye to eye. Chan Shen relished the sleazy roles and Mou's subject material gave him an ample outlet. I wonder if he would have been in Men Behind the Sun had he survived.

Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns and Ku Feng in Avenging Eagle are also very noteworthy and disturbing baddies. You honestly feel pity for Lo Lieh in that film and can't totally blame him for making his titular lanterns and Feng in Avenging Eagles is basically the Devil in human form. Sun Chung (who was Mou's classmate, did anybody know that) also had a knack for the darker side of humanity but in a more commercially viable form. Shaw Yin-yin does not talk glowingly of him, which is amusing as I wonder what she'd have to say about Mou and Kuei Chih-hung.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Chan Shen rapes a guy??!!! I think that might take the cake! LOL!!! Ahh, Houston we have a winner.

We can think in a "villain thermometer" :smile:

I mean: all depends of several paths about concept of "evil", "bad", "villain", etc.

Interesting topic.

Admittedly I'm new to Shaw Bros but Lu Feng has to be the best villain!:nerd: Acting chops will get you so far but when you're taking on four heroes, especially as talented as the venoms particularly with such intense choreography, you don't get that much more bad ass in my opinion anyway!:xd:

it's certainly going to take any villain a lot to top that with Dick Wei coming close in later years with Jackie Sammo and Yuen Biao among my favourites outside of Shaw Bros

Taking Both fighting qualities, malevolence and screen presence into consideration, my picks would probably be:

1. Fung Hak-on

2. Kong Do (Chiang Tao)

3. Philip Ko

4. Wong Lik

5. Lo Lieh

6. Lu Feng

7. Chu Ko

8. Wang Lung Wei

9. Kwan Feng

10. Lau Gar-wing

shaw and nonshaw:

Hwang Jang-lee's- prob. my favorite.

Chan Shen -just had that great crazy look.

bolo yueng -just looks so massive

chan sing- esp. as he got older

Ying-Chieh Han - for the big boss alone

tino wong-

dorian tan- both better bad than good

Archived