Who is the ultimate Shaw Brothers villain ?

Constable Fu

Dear brothers,

When we are asked to name the ultimate badasses of Shaw Bros in the 70's and 80's, these four names keep recurring :

1. Wang Lung Wei

2. Chen Hui Ming

3. Ku Feng

4. Lo Lieh

The baddest of them all is, undisputedly, none other than the sinisterly cold-blooded WANG LUNG WEI ! To my knowledge, he NEVER plays a good character in his entire career with Shaw.

The second must be CHEN HUI MING, while the other two sometimes play a good character.

What is your opinion, brothers ?

Did I miss any other infamous badasses ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wang Lung Wei definitely....in Challenge Of The Masters he was (kinda) good guy and in My Young Auntie too(was trying to correct wrongs he felt relative did to him).

My favorite venom Lu Feng 2nd.

Chen Kuan Tai was badass on villain roles too,sadly there are not many of those.

Morgoth Bauglir

yeah definitely Wang Lung Wei. Only movie I can think where he played a good guy at shaw Brothers was Boxer's Omen.

I'm biased and I'm gonna say Yu Xihong (Ku Feng). Chen Hui Min as the "King of Ninjas" is a character that'll live forever but I don't think he's quite in the same league as the others. Now if you wanna break it up according to groups here you go... and Wang Lung Wei was a hero in Mercenaries From Hong Kong

Chang Cheh's Iron Triangle (David Chang, Ti Lung, Ku Feng) - Ku Feng

Venoms - Lu Feng

Lau Kar Leung's group - Wang Lung Wei

Shaolin group - Wang Lung Wei

Chu Yuan's group - Lo Lieh

Some runner ups...

Liang Chia Ren (he was cool just for having a real beard)

Wang Li (probably the best "weapon" villain)

Philip Ko (very underated I think)

Kong Do (mediocre but noteworthy)

Chen Kuan Tai (memorable)

Pai Piao (last great villain)

...and it's a shame that the guy who played "Dugu Wudi" in Bastard Swordsman was such a late comer he had high potential to be a Shaw villain.

...and it's a shame that the guy who played "Dugu Wudi" in Bastard Swordsman was such a late comer he had high potential to be a Shaw villain.

That is among best "wire-fu" Shaw I have seen...sequel was just as good,Kuan Tai is excellent in that:cool:

ironfistedmonk

In terms of martial artistry Wang Lung Wei is my favourite Shaws villain, the guy is a brute but he doesn't exactly come off as a criminal mastermind which I feel you need to be considered a real martial villain. Lo Lieh and Ku Feng could pull this off with ease but I can't pick between them who was the best.

This is as tough one. Ku Feng has a pretty impressive resume as a scumbag. He was partically evil in Avenging Eagle and fly Guillotine 2(underated classic).

All joking aside, wouldn't Wang Lung Wei have to hold the world record of international cinema for the greatest number of movies in which he played the villian?

Ku Feng was a truly talented actor who quite convincingly had audiences hating his characters. His "evil stare" was one that still makes me take notice...

:D

Definitely Johnny Wang Lung-Wei. Even when he wasn't fighting, he tended to play a scumbag, i.e.Five Deadly Venoms.

Ku Feng was a truly talented actor who quite convincingly had audiences hating his characters. His "evil stare" was one that still makes me take notice...

:D

You are right..I really hated him on New One Armed Swordsman.

You are right..I really hated him on New One Armed Swordsman.

Yep. He was delightfully despicable in that one.

From what I've seen - Ku Feng was classier and certainly more versatile... But Wang Lung Wei sure knew how to look formidable on screen and I think that acting-wise he wasn't that bad, either. It's a tie as far as I'm concerned. Love to hate them both...:-) Pity I haven't seen more films with Lo Lieh yet - his performance as the villain in 14 Amazons was amazing...

When I look back at it, Jason Pai Piao in Shaolin Prince is the most memorable Shaw villain for me.

Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns is a close second.

Edit: If we're taking into consideration all their Shaw roles as a whole, then yeah, its Wang Lung Wei for me.

It's a tough one...

Johnny Wang Lung-Wei was more of a meaty foe, he looked the part and could swing his weight.

Ku Feng had the acting chops that set him apart.

Lo Lieh was more brash, he had a great ability of playing the more sleazy roles.

Lu Feng had a look about him to, but unfortantly his roles were one dimensional, best weapons handler of the bunch though.

Lau Kar Leung was a pretty badass villain in Shaolin Mantis also.

wudangimmortal

kind of new to shaw films, can anyone list the movies johnny wang, lo lieh and ku feng were villains in? the ones that were worth listing atleast , thx!

Ku Feng. No doubt.

Was about to say that. I also thought Yueh Hua was really good in Killer Clans.

Also, Tien Feng was RUTHLESS in Sword of Swords.

Archived