The Rebel (2007)

Guest skulldugrey

Guest Yi-Long

The Weinstein's got the North American rights, so you might as well just download it from somewhere or go for a boot, cause you'd probably be waiting for a cut, dubbed version which would probably be delayed and delayed and delayed etc.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got a review of the film and an interview with the films director Charlie Nguyen in the Feb issue of Impact due out soon www.impactmoviemagazine.co.uk

Its got some great martial arts action, good to see Johnny Nguyen from "Tom Yum Goong" really getting to show what he can do, and Dustin Nguyen of "21 Jump Street" showing some slick moves as does the films leading lady

Dragon Dynasty has the North American rights, not sure if there is any official DVD release anywhere yet

ez Mike! I just saw your big name in the index and thought I would drop a line... I see you are still involved with Impact. Unfortunately, I can't find Impact in ANY shops in London. Believe me, I look out for it all the time. I see it's run by a couple of young ladies, who I met at an exhibition in Greenwich last year. That was the last time I bought some Impact issues--at a special discounted price. I guess everything is mostly done online now--subscription based. Anyway, take care of yourself mate...

Master Falkor,

How you doing sir? Drop me a pm with your e-mail would be good to touch base....

Been very busy with a bunch of projects including "Blood: Last Vampire", "Mummy 3" and producing a movie shot in UK & HK "the Bodyguard" with Cary Tagawa and Richard Ng, but still rocking away with Impact, subscriptions and everything can be handled through the website www.impactmoviemagazine.co.uk

..we got a bunch of good stuff coming up in the next few issues, interviews with Peter Chan and Charlie Nguyen about "Warlords" and "the Rebel" respectively, Ching Siu-tong about action choreography, Wong Jing about his career and much more over the next few issues ....still hoping you might get round to finishing the article on Korean martial arts movies for me....

As I said "the Rebel" kicks ass and hopefully will be getting a strong release with plenty of bonus features, sooner rather than later

Mr Leeder,

sorry to go on but WHERES THE DAMN HUANG JAN LI interview gone you filmed?

Keep up the good work with IMPACT

I have heard HKL have stopped releasing so no hope of seeing that interview or the platinum versions of the Jackie classics, great shame..unless Mike owns the rights!!

Not sure about Premier Asia label tho, as they have the horror film Shutter due out any time.

Shame, but since HKL got taken over and Bey and Brian White left for Dragon Dynasty it seemed as if they didn't care.

Not a lot of good company's left in the UK for Eastern releases apart from Optimum Asia and Tartan.

Sadly the Hwang Jan-lee interview languishes in the Hong Kong Legend vaults, along with a lot of other stuff we shot they never used. id did a bunch of interviews for "My Wife Is A Gangster" and they never used them, same for "Outlaw Brothers" etc....it is very frustrating. They stopped returning my e-mails and even sending me copies of the discs once Brian left

Another company at one point contacted me telling me they had licensed the Hwang Jan-lee interview but nothing has come of it till now

Guest Yi-Long
Sadly the Hwang Jan-lee interview languishes in the Hong Kong Legend vaults, along with a lot of other stuff we shot they never used. id did a bunch of interviews for "My Wife Is A Gangster" and they never used them, same for "Outlaw Brothers" etc....it is very frustrating. They stopped returning my e-mails and even sending me copies of the discs once Brian left

Another company at one point contacted me telling me they had licensed the Hwang Jan-lee interview but nothing has come of it till now

It's comforting to know those guys over at HKL are such professionals(!)

It's a shame that cool-sounding stuff got lost :(

It would be nice seeing Hwang Jan-Lee again after so many years.

well believe it or not we were actually on a tight deadline, so as soon I had done the interview I had to Fed Ex the digi-beta tapes from Korea to UK the next day...if I'd known it was going to sit on a shelf forever I'd have made sure I had copies of it

Feel bad as would love to have been able to give Master Hwang a copy, we covered so much stuff, his training, the movies, the incident in the army with the knife fighter, Secret Rivals etc, the Jackie movies and so much more..he was a great interview

HKL if by any chance you're reading this, drop me a line, let me at least get a single copy of the interview!!!

I notice the hkl website has been closed down now as well (you just get directed to play.com) so it looks like they've finished completely.

Anybody know who (if anyone) is picking up the rights to the many un-released titles they have?

well believe it or not we were actually on a tight deadline, so as soon I had done the interview I had to Fed Ex the digi-beta tapes from Korea to UK the next day...if I'd known it was going to sit on a shelf forever I'd have made sure I had copies of it

Feel bad as would love to have been able to give Master Hwang a copy, we covered so much stuff, his training, the movies, the incident in the army with the knife fighter, Secret Rivals etc, the Jackie movies and so much more..he was a great interview

HKL if by any chance you're reading this, drop me a line, let me at least get a single copy of the interview!!!

Oh man...at home, we watched a few HJL films the past few weeks for fun, even the American film Street Soldiers. My dad loves the way he kicks!!! I hope you can get a copy of this interview Mike...the fans would be in for a treat!!!

Delirious

Dragon Dynasty will try to bring it to the mainstream. As the matter of fact I am vietnamese so i know full well about the movie. It has been released to DVD for a while now. However no sub, only Vietnamese track available. The original producer is a US based entertainment company. The film is 100% funded in the US, as well as the entire main cast is Vietnamese American. The protagonist, Johnny Nguyen, is a contract singer for the same company, and also a Vovinam martial artist. He appears in a few Hollywood movies. The biggest thing he did before the Rebel was starring in Tony Jaa's Tom Yum Goong: he was the guy Tony beat up after Tony had worked his way up 4 stories restaurant.

This is the first Vietnamese martial art movie. Beside Johnny, the rest of the cast is either trained on set or doubled. The action is fast and furious while mostly depends on Johnny's physical capability.

thundered mantis

Delirious, could you point us to an online vietnamese store where the official Vietnam DVD is sold? I don´t want to get it from ebay ´cause I might end up with a boot, and I don´t want to wait till August either to see the movie, will cope with no subs. I tried on www.go2viet.com but they rejected my order dunno why

Delirious

I had my copy a few months back through go2viet.com. From what i read they are out of stock that why your order is rejected. I dont think they will be restocking anytime soon, since go2viet is located in California and DD just bought the copyright.

I got to watch some of this movie the other Day, I seen the End Fight Scenes by the train it looked really good, so I will be picking up this movie when it comes out.

This title will be released on September 30, 2008.

51Fmo6UdIrL._SS500_.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one just based off of what was in the trailer. I'm also excited about the DVD commentary with the cast. I'm hoping DD doesn't cut that from the DVD or cut one of the participants out.

surprisingly, i thought this movie was better than expected and the fights were very good. i was actually going wow! especially, the gal in this one. her moves came off very strong. i'll definitely get the dd release just for the actions.

Dragon Dynasty will try to bring it to the mainstream. As the matter of fact I am vietnamese so i know full well about the movie. It has been released to DVD for a while now. However no sub, only Vietnamese track available. The original producer is a US based entertainment company. The film is 100% funded in the US, as well as the entire main cast is Vietnamese American. The protagonist, Johnny Nguyen, is a contract singer for the same company, and also a Vovinam martial artist. He appears in a few Hollywood movies. The biggest thing he did before the Rebel was starring in Tony Jaa's Tom Yum Goong: he was the guy Tony beat up after Tony had worked his way up 4 stories restaurant.

This is the first Vietnamese martial art movie. Beside Johnny, the rest of the cast is either trained on set or doubled. The action is fast and furious while mostly depends on Johnny's physical capability.

Cool im looking forward to this as Im a fellow Vietnamese person myself. Be nice to show this to my dad+family in its original language.

Archived