The Rebel (2007)

Guest skulldugrey

Guest skulldugrey

anybody seen this recent film from Johnny Nguyen? the trailer looked pretty good. any dvd available of it soon?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read from Twitchfim.net that The Weinstein Company and Dragon Dynasty have brought the rights to this for the US market.

Also there is a review of the film on the site.

twitchfilm.net/site/view/...ng-review/

Looks promising and I will definitely like to check out this film out when it arrives on DVD.

Guest Yi Long

Let's hope the movie will be released uncut and subbed. it looks and sounds awesome. Seen the trailer for it a few months (at least) ago on youtube (maybe even almost a year, as I think I was still in school) and it just looks great. A nice drama with good action.

Guest skulldugrey

i hate the weinstein company, and yeah I read that article on twitch as well. well, dragon dynasty already has its full release schedule through the end of the year, so I wouldn't expect this one til 2008 at the soonest. I'm not familiar with Vietnam's DVD output, does anybody know how long it generally takes for movies to come out on dvd in Vietnam after they've hit theaters? more importantly, does anybody know if Vietnam released discs usually have english subtitles? and finally, has The Rebel been released in Hong Kong yet, because if so then an HK dvd should be out soon!

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for the pictures and videos, i'm looking forward to this, i like Tri Ngyuen and Dustin Ngyuen, is it true Dustin does some kind of spiritual boxing or iron amrour technique?

Guest Morgoth

What else have you seen Dustin in? I have only seen him in this movie. He is ok as the villain using iron body skills, but Johnny Nguyen really gets to show off. He has some things to work on but his kicks look really good.

Guest will91XingYu

I've seen Dustin in the Bruce Lee levi's commercial where he shows off some good kicks, and some other things i'll try and find on youtube, he is also in Finishing the Game, the Bruce Lee mocumentry.

Guest Yi-Long

Dustin was also in 21 Jumpstreet, as most of you would probably know ;)

Here's a good quality trailer of The Rebel on Stage6:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/SDAFF/video/1731867/The-Rebel-Trailer

Apparently, the rights have been picked up by Weinstein, so when I heard that, I immediately just downloaded the whole movie, cause I dont trust that guy. Havent watched it yet though.

Harvey's version of it will be released mid-2008 I believe.

Guest mark187

Dustin also had a small role in the 1992 Brandon Lee movie "Rapid Fire". Anyway, was The Rebel ever released in Vietnam theaters yet, and does anybody know if it has a Hong Kong release date? I don't really wanna wait another year to buy the dragon dynasty dvd if it ever comes out, if they release the first english-subtitled dvd of the film then something's gone wrong!

Guest daisho2004

I can't wait to pick up this movie, it is listed on eBay JFYI.

Synopsis:

Martial Arts Sensation... Johnny Nguyen

His acting roles include the martial arts films Tom-Yum-Goong and Cradle 2 the Grave. His work as a stunt double includes the role of Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 and as the Green Goblin in the first feature film. He practices kung fu, wushu, tai chi, and aikido.

Vietnam in 1922 is under colonial French ruling, and anti-French rebellions by peasants have emerged all over the country. In response, the French have activated units of Vietnamese secret agents to track and destroy the rebels. One agent is Le Van Cuong. Although branded with a perfect track record, Cuong's inner conscience is troubled by the sea of Vietnamese blood he has spilled. Following an assassination of a high ranking French official, Cuong is assigned to seek and kill the notorious leader of the resistance. Cuong encounters Vo Thanh Huy, a relentless revolutionary fighter and the daughter of the rebel leader. She is captured and imprisoned by Cuong's cruel superior, Sy. Cuong suspects that Sy knew about the attack on the French official before it happened, and could have prevented it. Suspicious, he warns Huy that her organization has a mole, helps break her out of prison and becomes a fugitive himself. Her fiery patriotism inspires Cuong, and he develops feelings for the young woman as well. Meanwhile, Sy is tracking Cuong and Huy, knowing the pair will lead him to Huy's father.

bruce the man

The Rebel was released in April in Vietnam (if I recalled correctly). Not sure if they had DVD release of this movie officially out in Vietnam or not, but there are several versions of this movie with English subtitles floating around in the US already, and I am not surprised if they all came from Vietnam.

This was a pleasant surprise, very nice fights and actually a fairly competent film on top of that. A little slow in the middle when it gets too deep into the romantic angle, you can tell the creators tried to make this a drama first and action movie second. For 5$ and no expectations going in, i'm more than happy with the purchase

Dustin also had a small role in the 1992 Brandon Lee movie "Rapid Fire". Anyway, was The Rebel ever released in Vietnam theaters yet, and does anybody know if it has a Hong Kong release date? I don't really wanna wait another year to buy the dragon dynasty dvd if it ever comes out, if they release the first english-subtitled dvd of the film then something's gone wrong!

Dustin also appeared in the kiddie film 3 Ninjas Kick Back looking like he was trying to enter a Sex Machineguns lookalike contest as the villain's nephew appropriately named "Glam".

He was also on the TV series V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson.

Just watched the fabulous trailer for this Vietnamese action flick, any idea when a dvd release is due?

Heres the trailer:

it's out on dvd, but maybe what i found was a bootleg

it's pretty good, fun in the beginning and end but a bit slow in the middle. you can tell they tried to make this with emphasis on drama rather than action

Archived