Boxer From Shantung & Man Of Iron

NoNiceTime

Is there some reason why two films which have virtually the same plot,director, lead actor and actress was released the same year? Was SB just trying to cash in on the success of BFS and quickly remade it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chen Kuai Tai was so awsome, they had to do it twice.:D

Shortly afterward came The Tea House and Big Brother Cheng. He earned it.

Chen became a huge star literally overnight from BFS. Apparently, Ma Yung Chen was a real guy and according to Chang Cheh, the script was initially to be the made up MA SU CHEN, about a female. Chang of course didn't want to do that. Not long after, Wang Yu did his own Ma Yung Chen movie with FURIOUS SLAUGHTER also 1972 and the sequel to it was MA SU CHEN (1973).

Also according to Chang, Pao Hsuei Li directed MAN OF IRON but I wonder exactly how much of the film was Pao's involvement.

Pao later did a similar film also starring Chen Kuan Tai entitled HERO OF SHANGHAI (1977) which had Fong Si Yu in the 1920s being killed near the beginning and Chen's character taking on the big bosses. It's a good movie as well.

Lots of actors really got their chance when Jimmy Wang Yu left Shaws... Chen Kuai Tai being one of them. I equally love his character in Iron Bodyguard. He seemed to excell when he was the focal point of a story...

I liked Hero of Shanghai too. I thought it was just as good as Big Boss of Shanghai.

Better than Legend Of The Drunken Master?!:P;):D

Lol...

Archived