Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple (aka Shaolin Yong-pal) (1983)

achiever

Just saw Martial Monks of the Shaolin Temple.

I came away with a real liking to Hwang Jang Lee's kicking prowess.

When he killed the shaolin monk near the beginning of the movie with his flurry of combo side & roundhouse kicks, I was in awe. The monk he fought at the beginning was pretty entertaining too (my 2nd favorite fighter in the movie).

Dragon lee is okay, i guess, but didn't wow me here. The only real weakness in the movie were the hoards of crappy sub-villians. The dude with the crazy wig and the "bad" monk were below average, and i think the fights they were in suffered because of it.

All in all, pretty good and fun flick- What do YOU guys think?

Questions-

1)what else is good that Hwang Jang Lee stars in?

2)who was the monk that got killed near the beginning, and what else is he in that's good?

3) what movies show dragon lee at his ABSOLUTE BEST?

THANKS!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1)what else is good that Hwang Jang Lee stars in?

cvdvd.jpg

2)who was the monk that got killed near the beginning, and what else is he in that's good?

Show us a screencap of him...

3) what movies show dragon lee at his ABSOLUTE BEST?

lfof.jpg

I was enjoying Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple a lot until the final fight. Hwang Jang Lee's disappearing act (literally) really ruined it for me there. I dont know why they did that - straight up fighting would have been much better. I also agree that the sub-villains were pretty bad.

Another good Dragon Lee movie is Dragon Snake Fist. For Last Fist of Fury I believe the UK release is longer than the American release (The Real Bruce Lee). So watch out for that.

Falkor, where can that version of Last Fist of Fury be purchased?

And, what's the running time on the film? I always felt the parts included in The Real Bruce Lee were not complete. Thanks for any help...

Morgoth Bauglir

Falkor do you know if there is a decent version of Canton Viper around? I need that movie. I need it bad!

thundered mantis

Tiger Over Wall

Hitman In Hands of Buddha

Drunken Master

Snake in the Eagle´s Shadow

Kid from Kwantung

Hell´s Windstaff

Instant Kung Fu Man

Innocent Interloper

Where´s Officer Tuba (just 4 mins. of Hwang here)

Emperor of Underworld

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one last night, made in the era when Dragon Lee and Hwang Jang Lee were starring together in a slew of Korean productions ('Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger' being the one that immediately springs to mind), it delivers pretty much everything you'd want to see from a movie featuring the pair, making it a solid but unexceptional entry into the genre.

There is plenty of wackiness to enjoy, as is standard with any Korean kung-fu movie.  One villain fights with a ridiculously huge sword, while bits of the chicken he was previously eating remain stuck in his fake moustache, another group of villains fire pieces of string from their shoes, Dragon Lee insists to only drink through a sieve which he carries around with him, and in the finale Hwang Jang Lee randomly teleports with no explanation whatsoever.  Special mention should also go to Hwang Jang Lee's cape, which is adorned with the image of 2 tigers, 1 on either shoulder.

Surprisingly the movies best fights aren't the finale.  Dragon Lee's one on one showdowns against both Cho Min-kyu and Baek Wong-gei are highlights, and Hwang Jang Lee unleashes his kicks against a series of assailants to devastating effect throughout.  When Dragon and Hwang finally face off, it's entertaining, however more so because of the goofiness, that see's the likes of Jang Lee being stuck in a barrel, than the fighting on display. 

Note that the Korean Movie Database lists this as the 1982 movie 'Shaolin Yong-pal', directed by Kim Si-hyun - 

http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/vod/vod_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=03666

DSKT003399_01.jpgDSKT003400_01.jpgDSKT003401_01.jpgDSKT003402_01.jpgDSKT003403_01.jpgDSKT003404_01.jpgDSKT003405_01.jpgDSKT003406_01.jpgDSKT003407_01.jpgDSKT003408_01.jpgDSKT003409_01.jpg

After purchasing Five Pattern Dragon Claws I ordered Martial Monks Of Shaolin Temple & Secret Ninja Roaring Tiger from Amazon. This was a good ten years ago when I was still a student. I can still recall a friends reaction to the finale of MMOST. He wasn't a huge kung fu film fan but loved far out cinema and stuff that wasn't mainstream. The final showdown had him in stitches the whole time. We hit the rewind button multiple times too lol. The U.K release suffered some minor trims but it doesn't effect the film too much.

Archived