Has anyone seen...

AlbertV

The remake of Bodyguard Kiba directed by none other than Takashi Miike and starring Hisao Maki as Kiba. There are two movies. I might be going to the video store this weekend and if they have the first one, I was going to rent the first one.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I started a thread asking about this like a year ago and nobody responded. There's a 2 pack at Best Buy for $19.99 (it's been a year now and it's still there). I would check it out if somebody recommended it. Other than Izo, I don't think I have ever seen a fight scene in a Miike film, and the fighting in Izo didn't impress me.

I've seen fight scenes in one of Miike's films, Fudoh: The New Generation. The character of Riki Fudoh has a half-brother, a Korean-Japanese gangster who poses as a gym teacher and he fights some teens who sodomize a classmate and then he also fights Fudoh himself, using something similar to steel rimming on his shoes.

When I get to the video store, if I see the movie, I'll rent it and let you know what I thought Morgoth. I saw Hisao Maki in a J-Video action film, New Karate Baka Ichidai, starring Timeranger's Masaru Nagai, who is actually a black belt in karate.

There are 3 Bodyguard Kiba movies from Miike/Maki. The first two are pretty bad and I haven't seen the 3rd yet but not really holding out too much hope. Fudoh is a decent movie, but I can't exactly remember too much fighting other than a bunch of kids taking out Yakuza bad guys.

Of course, if Yakuza films are your cup of tea, there are plenty of other good Miike movies that focus on that topic. Ichi The Killer probably tops the list (although some scenes are pretty graphic), and the fight at the end between Ichi (the beforementioned killer) and Kakihara (played by Tadanobu Asano) is pretty interesting.

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks for the info rob. Fudoh I guess will stay deep in my Netflix queue since I am not a big Miike fan (with the exception of Deadly Outlaw Rekka. I LOVED that). I still haven't heard anythign good about the first 2 Bodyguard Kiba films, so I will be saving myself 20 bucks. And I didn't know there was a 3rd Kiba movie. Once again thanks for the info.

Fudoh is great in its own way. It's a kind of movie that would seem teen-oriented, except it's Miike so there's hermaphrodites, beheadings, blood and a girl who shoots darts from her..... well don't want to ruin the surprise. Very fun if you're not expecting an all-out karate brawl.

STAY AWAY FROM THE BODYGUARD KIBA FILMS, THEY'RE AWE FULL

Archived