Chinese basher/boxer films

mark187

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...a basher thread must go on...;-)

I'll 2nd this! There are alot of bashers that I haven't seen yet and this thread is mucho useful.

Godfathers of Hong Kong was one of the best bashers I've seen:

It only exists dubbed in German, but played in theaters dubbed in English. Supposedly one collector has the dubbed film can and refuses to make copies (Grrrr). If someone knew German and could slap some English subtitles on it, that would be awesome. That film has one of the most intense finales I've ever seen.

thanks to everyone for the great list of basher/boxer films! Many I have seen and many that I haven't!

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what does the term "shapes" mean in this genre?

ShaOW!linDude
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what does the term "shapes" mean in this genre?

Generally you see these in the classic kung fu movies. "Shapes" refers to positions or postures in different fighting styles: Tiger, Crane, Snake, Mantis, Monkey, Dragon, Leopard, Drunken, Tai Chi, etc. (Any style actually but the Animal ones are typically the most recognizable. This can also apply to apparatus/weapons.)

At least that's my understanding of the way the term is used here.

Generally you see these in the classic kung fu movies. "Shapes" refers to positions or postures in different fighting styles: Tiger, Crane, Snake, Mantis, Monkey, Dragon, Leopard, Drunken, Tai Chi, etc. (Any style actually but the Animal ones are typically the most recognizable. This can also apply to apparatus/weapons.)

At least that's my understanding of the way the term is used here.

I've been familiar with the term "basher" for a long time, but this board was the first time I ever heard the term "shapes". I always used to call them "styles" or "style vs style" films.

ShaOW!linDude
I've been familiar with the term "basher" for a long time, but this board was the first time I ever heard the term "shapes". I always used to call them "styles" or "style vs style" films.

Same here. Took me a little while to figure it out. We all differentiate things.......well, differently.:tongue: I, too, always considered them "styles" or "forms". But hey, "shapes" works, too.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Have you seen Tough Duel with Tien Peng? That's a great basher, as is A Gathering of Heroes. To me, the ultimate is Kung Fu, the Invisible Fist, with the marathon fight at the end. There are better movies, sure, but that is one crazy brawl!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Have you seen Tough Duel with Tien Peng? That's a great basher, as is A Gathering of Heroes. To me, the ultimate is Kung Fu, the Invisible Fist, with the marathon fight at the end. There are better movies, sure, but that is one crazy brawl!

Thanks for the recommendation!!!! I will add those to my watchlist!!!

NoKUNGFUforYU

Also, if you want to see a decent non-shaw/GH basher, find a copy of Four Real Friends- Wang Yu, Kam Kong, Chen Sing and Chang Yi throw down against a bunch of baddies with fights choreographed by Tommy Lee/Gam Ming. Probably Yu's best fighting (a lot less swingy arms, etc) . Ming's fight choreography plays to his limits, and it has a script by Ni Kuang. Without Chang Cheh there to throw in the misogyny, one of the heroes winds up with his true love, an ex hooker, and neither one dies a horrible death! I know, hard to believe, right, for 1974. It was on the ADC last I checked.

Morgoth Bauglir
Anyone for a Top Ten and why list for Bashers?

:nerd:

I'm still an amateur at bashers but I'm gonna take a shot at this.

1- Little Superman- a badass title for a badass movie. Kung fu choreography was evolving. Bashers were out, shapes were in. But Ng See Yuen didn't care. He wanted to make the basher of all bashers, and he did.

2-One Armed Boxer- it's weird to see this movie listed right alongside Little Superman as one of the best bashers. They are so wildly different. The fights are terrible when compared to Little Superman. But the story, creativity, and cheesiness is what makes this one so great. And while the fights are bad at times, the pulse pounding final fight makes up for it.

3- The Chinese Boxer- so many things to say about this movie and how it completely changed the genre, but to me the most amazing thing is how it holds up today. I can still pop this in at any time and have a blast.

4- Delighful Forest- I don't know if I've ever seen this listed as a basher. I've always classified it as one. Basher or not, it's one of the best movies ever made.

5- Ninja Holocaust- crazy mishmash of a movie. So bad it is great. The bashing is top notch. Great kicking from Cassanova and one of the most intense final fights. And if you are able to catch your breath then get ready for one of the funniest endings.

6- Tough Guy- this was the first kf movie I ever saw and it was even better when I finally got to watch it a second time. Great cast and great performances from all. Yuen Woo Pinf definitely shows huge talent here. The fight in the mud is amazing. You would think that all that mud would slow the actors down, but it's some of the best choreography in the movie.

7- Kung Fu Massacre- nothing too special, but it's one of Charles Heung's best performances and 2 time actor Jin Fu Wan gives a great acting performance and an even better fighting performance. I don't know why he wasn't in more movies. I have to assume his kicking skills were just too good for him to be in anymore bashers.

8- Four Real Friends- I always get bored by the final fight, but up until that point it is a great movie with great performances from all the stars.

9- The Manchu Boxer- I didn't like this one years ago but watching it today I have to put on this list for Lau Wing giving one of the best acting performances in any basher.

10- Call Me Dragon- While not as good as Little Superman, this is one you will want to seek out immediately if you are a fan of Bruce Leung. And instead of James Nam you get Yasuaki Kurata as the main villain. This is the movie where Kurata announced that he is one of the best screen fighters around.

Archived