BCI Eclipse's Shaw Brothers releases

gfanikf

Killer Meteor
It bothers me most because the subs are not based on the official track. Therefore on Opium, we are reading subs created for the Mandarin track when the official track is Cantonese.

How so? The basically used the exact same people for dubbing.

I think its because Celestial over filter the audio for the Shaws, making them sound too phoney

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaw Scope Guy
It bothers me most because the subs are not based on the official track. Therefore on Opium, we are reading subs created for the Mandarin track when the official track is Cantonese.

Written Chinese characters (e.g. Mandarin) is the same for Mandarin and Cantonese. Cantonese and Mandarin difference in audio only. I am fluent in Cantonese, but I read Chinese (Mandarin).

Written Chinese characters (e.g. Mandarin) is the same for Mandarin and Cantonese. Cantonese and Mandarin difference in audio only.

In a lot of cases, yes. However, there's 2 problems:

1) The Cantonese soundtrack had dialogue that the Mandarin didn't.

2) There's differences in both soundtracks because of a local joke perhaps.

The Running Man

Yeah, very frequently there are differences in dialog on both tracks. Some movies are just a little and some are a lot.

Supposedly since the handover, Mandarin has been the official dialect in HK. How do you know Cantonese is the "official" language for OPIUM? I have many Korean tapes of Shaw movies (including OPIUM & THE KUNG FU MASTER) and they are all in Mandarin and they all sound the same audibly to the Celestial discs.

The Running Man

I figured it out just by looking at the movie. Watch Opium and switch between the tracks and and notice how perfectly in sync the Cantonese track is with the actors' mouths compared to the Mandarin.

Shaw Scope Guy
In a lot of cases, yes. However, there's 2 problems:

1) The Cantonese soundtrack had dialogue that the Mandarin didn't.

2) There's differences in both soundtracks because of a local joke perhaps.

ok, I get your point. Thanks for the clarification.

I figured it out just by looking at the movie. Watch Opium and switch between the tracks and and notice how perfectly in sync the Cantonese track is with the actors' mouths compared to the Mandarin.

There is nothing to figure out when not every actor in HK can speak Mandarin and not every actor can speak Cantonese. It's common knowledge that actors in these movies spoke their own dialect since the finished product was going to be dubbed over to suit whichever territory it was going to be shown in.

I've seen OPIUM half a dozen times before and after it came out and I never noticed anything else other than how amazing of a job there post dubbing work really is considering the movies were shot silently and having to dub in all the various sound effects and voices and whatever else afterwards. It makes a major difference when compared to the inferior dubbed tracks utilized for English speaking markets. THAT I notice.

OK, I got my copy of 'Opium' this morning.

The case was a bit crushed and as a result, the spine has annoying crease rips:(. The artwork looks nice :), although I wouldn't have used the same 'square' border theme for all the releases though as it would look generic. Slightly de-touring, I dislike the methods used for wrapping American DVD cases, but maybe it's not BCI's fault and it's a custom to avoid anyone stealing them?

Onto the DVD where I'll just point out a few things not mentioned. You can select the subtitle track in the menu, but unless you've got a special DVD player, you can't remove/add the option during a feature.

All of the trailers are sadly interlaced: 'Life Gamble' has new subtitles. 'Shaolin Handlock' (which I'm not sure if IVL had the trailer) has burnt-in ones - like '14 Amazons'. However, 'Opium' isn't subtitled at all.

As said, the film itself has the same subtitles as the previous Celestial-sourced DVDs like IVL's with grammar errors and stuff. Haven't confirmed if it's progressive yet, but I believe someone said it is and unless I find out it's not, I'll assume it is just now.

I have also received my blu-ray. Played 3 scenes to check the quality and my friends and I were happy with the clarity. I bought it for the interviews but it was quite difficult to make out what Kuan-tai was saying in his heavily accented English. Robert was more fluent and it was a delight to see him so fit with muscles and all. No regrets picking up what I hope is not my only Shaw movie in this high-definition format.

Sat through the whole movie tonight. My friend and I were both very impressed by the picture quality. There's no motion blur when they fight. It's my best-looking Shaw DVD.

Pity about The 14 Amazons. Can we do something about it?

It says A on the back cover. Not sure what it means. Back cover info not accurate since it only lists Mandarin and I watched it in Cantonese. I wonder if I should double-dip for Life Gamble. The picture quality on my IVL is mediocre.

Guest Markgway

Region A means (roughly) playable in The USA and Asia.

Region B is for The UK/Europe and Australia

Region C is for Russia and The Middle East

Hmm. Thanks for that. I'm in Australia which would mean region B. I'll look around on some sites I know (that list the region of certain Blu Ray discs) and see if it's popped up.

Archived