BCI Eclipse's Shaw Brothers releases

gfanikf

Because the poster is much taller and narrower than a Blu-Ray. And it can't really be cropped because the title almost touches the top and the photos almost touch the bottom. It fit perfectly on the flipside of the standard DVD.

I also think the Life Gamble poster is much cooler and it fit both formats better.

It looks like you're the one credited with the design on the sleeve, David. If I may ask, what other BCI releases, coming out or not, were you able to help out with?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like you're the one credited with the design on the sleeve, David. If I may ask, what other BCI releases, coming out or not, were you able to help out with?

I was the lead designer for 7 years at BCI - so lots of them. All the He-Man releases, Day Break, Savage Streets, Hard Gun...

I don't think I can count high enough. :D

Guest Markgway
Because the poster is much taller and narrower than a Blu-Ray. And it can't really be cropped because the title almost touches the top and the photos almost touch the bottom. It fit perfectly on the flipside of the standard DVD.

Fair enough about the size. I'm not a designer so I'll accept your judgement on that point. I still wouldn't have gone with the "rips" though. ;)

Fair enough about the size. I'm not a designer so I'll accept your judgement on that point. I still wouldn't have gone with the "rips" though. ;)

Agreed - the rips thing doesn't look entirely appropriate perhaps. The only other way would have been to 'extend' the sides. Some more familiar with the film might find it a bit off-putting.

David

Any chance of 14 Amazons on blu-ray?

That's my most coveted Shaw movie on the high-definition format.

Only if it's from a different company since it wasn't close to being completed when they shut down BCI.

Only if it's from a different company since it wasn't close to being completed when they shut down BCI.

Just curious: How many other covers did you get to work on for the Shaw Bros releases? Were other covers completed, aside from Opium & Life Gamble?

Thanks!

Just curious: How many other covers did you get to work on for the Shaw Bros releases? Were other covers completed, aside from Opium & Life Gamble?

Thanks!

Just those two. 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock were coming up next.

Just those two. 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock were coming up next.

man, I hope you find another gig with one of the other companies releasing Shaws. That cover is great. I wish the Dragon Dynasty, Image, or Media Blasters releases looked that good. Maybe there is some contractual stuff which limits what they can do with their covers, but that Opium cover certainly pops & other companies should take note.

The Running Man

Thanks. So 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock aren't going to come out?

And what are the official Chinese dialects for Opium and the Kung Fu Master and Life Gamble?

Guest Markgway
And what are the official Chinese dialects for Opium and the Kung Fu Master and Life Gamble?

Opium is Cantonese... Gamble is Mandarin.

The Running Man

Figured as much. That stupid DVD Beaver site claims the Mandarin is the original track and the Cantonese is the dub for Opium.

By the way, the extras are great but it's ruined by the god awful sound! It was really tough for me to sit through them having to deal with how rough and scratchy the sound was. I've seen public access shows with better sound!

mistertpitydafoo
Opium is Cantonese... Gamble is Mandarin.

Damn, we need to make a list of all the original languages of shaw films. I have watched Opium many times and never knew cantonese was the official language. Why does Celestial usually 9.5 out of 10 times put Mandarin/Cantonese. Why can't they put the official track as the one listed first which is the one your dvd player selects by default when the movie starts. Instead if I want to know it's "intended" language I have to go on line and do a hunt which is a pain. If we made a list it would be great...

shaolin drunkard
Damn, we need to make a list of all the original languages of shaw films. I have watched Opium many times and never knew cantonese was the official language. Why does Celestial usually 9.5 out of 10 times put Mandarin/Cantonese. Why can't they put the official track as the one listed first which is the one your dvd player selects by default when the movie starts. Instead if I want to know it's "intended" language I have to go on line and do a hunt which is a pain. If we made a list it would be great...

if you are not fluent in those languages what the hell difference it really makes?

Some people might like to watch the films in their original language. Some just may prefer hearing one dialect if they're used to hearing it.

The Running Man
Why does Celestial usually 9.5 out of 10 times put Mandarin/Cantonese. Why can't they put the official track as the one listed first which is the one your dvd player selects by default when the movie starts.

Thing is, most original Hong Kong film subtitles are based on the Mandarin tracks regardless. Since back in the day and even until now. Annoying.

Killer Meteor
Thing is, most original Hong Kong film subtitles are based on the Mandarin tracks regardless. Since back in the day and even until now. Annoying.

Celestial seems to view the Mandarin tracks as the main Chinese track regardless. They're the only HK DVDs I've seen that default to Mandarin rather than Cantonese

Guest Markgway
Why does Celestial usually 9.5 out of 10 times put Mandarin/Cantonese.

I guess the majority of Chinese worldwide speak Mandarin. You have to select the correct language.

Why can't they put the official track as the one listed first which is the one your dvd player selects by default when the movie starts.

Celestial probably don't know which is the original half the time. I've seen Cantonese films from IVL that ONLY have Mandarin dubs. The mid-60s to early 70s Shaw films are easiest - they're virtually always Mandarin.

Guest Markgway
if you are not fluent in those languages what the hell difference it really makes?

I'm not fluent in French either but that doesn't mean I wanna watch District 13 in Spanish.

shaolin drunkard
I'm not fluent in French either but that doesn't mean I wanna watch District 13 in Spanish.

whatever I cannot hear difference in cantonese or mandarin so not big deal is it cantonese or dubbed to mandarin.difference in french and spanish I guess I can hear.

Killer Meteor

I have to admit i don't find it that bothersome if a Shaw is in Mandarin when it should be in Cantonese. They sound limp either way. Golden Harvest, on the other hand...watch out!

The Running Man

It bothers me most because the subs are not based on the official track. Therefore on Opium, we are reading subs created for the Mandarin track when the official track is Cantonese.

I have to admit i don't find it that bothersome if a Shaw is in Mandarin when it should be in Cantonese. They sound limp either way. Golden Harvest, on the other hand...watch out!

How so? The basically used the exact same people for dubbing.

Archived