BCI Eclipse's Shaw Brothers releases

gfanikf

• Administrator
I will be getting these (never seen them before either).

LIFE GAMBLE is kind of a mediocre Venom flick IMO. But OPIUM was really good. I'll be replacing (or at least double-dipping) for these two though.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
Are you sure? Just cause a release date isn't on HKFA doesn't mean it didn't get released there

Yeah, I checked the HKFA database, HKFA filmography, HKMDB, and Movieworld Box Office, and no release date. A number of Shaws weren't released in HK so it's not an anomoly. Ten Tigers of Kwantung wasn't released in HK either for example so it's nothing to do with how familiar the title is to fans. Some of the most obscure Shaw films WERE released in HK.

Life Gamble

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

The 14 Amazons

Shaolin Hand Lock

Hong Kong Godfather

Shaolin Prince

Invincible Shaolin

The Bastard Swordsman

The Duel

Return of the Bastard Swordsman

Shaolin Rescuers

Soul of the Sword

The Lady Hermit

The Supreme Swordsman

The Sword of Swords

The distros get licensing based on batches. Say they prioritize 3 films that they really want and get it(that are part of a batch), then they have to pick up the other titles in that batch whether they like to or not. Otherwise, they lose out on the whole deal. It's a good way for Celestial and any other copyright holders for that matter to ensure they get a revenue stream from the distros. Some distros have much better control or bargaining power(like Dragon Dynasty, maybe even Media Blasters) on what to get while others got the short end of the stick(siren visual, IMAGE, Well Go USA).

Well, i think it sucks for the distro's, but I see why Celestials or any other owner's of the rights do it. Im pretty sure mainstream movie studios do a similar thing as well. It's essentially a safety net for Celestial. I would have never thought of how this operates had it not been for Linn(r.i.p) clarifying it to me awhile back. It really doesn't surprise me after soaking it all in cause in the end, they are a business and their objective is to generate as much profit as they can while minimizing costs in the process. There are very few companies out there that really have the fans interests at heart and the ones that do usually go belly up. Sad but true :/

• Administrator

I have a few friends that work, or worked, in film distribution and it's a pretty universal practice for studios to do this. Especially with a huge catalog of older titles. I mean the newest of these SB movies is what, 20 years old?

As with what oldeschool17 says, sad but true.

Amazon and CD Universe have listed the next three BCI Shaw releases. Amazon just has placeholders for the titles at the moment, but both stores are showing the same release dates.

14 Amazons (Feb 3rd DVD & Blu-Ray)

Shaolin Handlock (Feb 24th DVD & Blu-Ray)

Hong Kong Godfather (March 24th DVD & Blu-Ray)

Bet Gfanikf's shittin' himself:p.

I'm looking forward to 'Shaolin Handlock' myself!

Killer Meteor

I've had Siren dvd of SHL for ages. Long before my "no non-anamorphics" policy, lol

Shaolin Patriot
Amazon and CD Universe have listed the next three BCI Shaw releases. Amazon just has placeholders for the titles at the moment, but both stores are showing the same release dates.

It seems they are going in the order per gfanik's original listing (at the beginning of this thread). If so, next up would be Shaolin Prince, Invincible Shaolin and Bastard Swordsman. ;)

That's seems like a while a way. I've been fighting the urge to watch the youtube clip. I think I can wait it out til March.

Nope, my ass is doing pretty well, but I am a very very happy about that. Man thats going to be GREAT!!!!

EDIT: Oh way going through this I noticed Diagiro is now banned. Sweet double good news day!

Shaolin Patriot

It looks as though the special features for Life Gamble have changed - there is no longer the listing of an audio commentary with Robert Tai & Lee Yi Min. I was really looking forward to hearing it :(

On the other hand, specs. are still tentative. I hope they get firmed up very soon!

Life Gamble

- English mono audio (still TBD)

- Anamorphic 2.35:1

- New interviews with Lo Meng, Ku Feng, Lee Yi Min, Shu Pei

- Liner notes

- Trailers

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.548649/qx/details.htm

Thanks for the update SP.

Still though, 4 interviews is very impressive for one disc - Cliff and Linn must have been hell-bent!

Morgoth Bauglir

4 interviews is quite nice, but like you guys I was REALLY looking forward to that commentary:( But I still have hope!

Within the following: http://www.navarre.com/Resources/BCI/BCI_NR_Jan09.pdf:

On both DVD and Blu-Ray Life Gamble is listed as Mandarin with English Subtitles.

Opium and the Kung-Fu Master has Mandarin/Cantonese/English as the language and English Subtitles for both DVD and Blu-Ray.

This does still reflect Life Gamble's January 6 Blu-Ray release which appears to have been moved back as previously stated. So maybe the language info is still subject to change?

LIFE GAMBLE-they better have the dub after promising that they had it. some pre order sites list it as dubbed --others don't--since the release is about a month away they(BCI) should know by now if they have the dub or not. they should at least confirm it one way or the other. i'm sure the complete dub must exist somewhere--most people have the version thats missing the first 4 minutes.:mad:

I also can't remember what else is cut from The 14 Amazons apart from the human bridge scene.In the IVL print the scene was dissolved before it ended.In the original theatrical cut the scene went on a bit longer.Many more lives were lost as they were trying to finally pull up the rest of the clan member hanging down the cliff.Those who were hanging legs down piggy backed on the others to climb to safety then those head down had to be pulled up when the length was shortened.It was tedious and made the movie drag a bit but it was worth seeing the entire struggle of that sequence making it a lot more remarkable.

The sparring sequence between mother Ivy Ling Po & son Lily Ho was shortened on the IVL. In the original theatrical release, both mother and son spun round and round a few more times and Ivy Ling Po attacked more ferociously. The impact is lessened by the cuts.

Archived