BCI Eclipse's Shaw Brothers releases

gfanikf

YES! it needs to be 11-11 already! nice gift after the election! Can't wait to watch these in ENGLISH! never got either IVL version. WAs waiting for the BCI's!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the gold border and red outside of it that looks a bit generic. However, inside of it is pretty decent :).

I do look forward to it.

It looks like there first two releases have been pushed back to December 2nd. Amazon and the Navarre site both confirm this for both the DVD and Blu-Ray versions.

It looks like there first two releases have been pushed back to December 2nd. Amazon and the Navarre site both confirm this for both the DVD and Blu-Ray versions.

While delays like this seem to be the norm, it will be well-worth-the-wait.

(and no, don't ask...) ;)

Shaolin Patriot

Every US distributor release has had delays with the first batch of titles. It's only another 3 weeks in this case. I have faith that Cliff and BCI will deliver great product ;)

Amazon now has the two titles listed with release dates of January 6th for both DVD and Blu-Ray versions.

Shaolin Patriot

Here are the tentative specs. (and special features) for the first two BCI releases. Information below is the same for Standard Def and Blu-Ray formats.

HK FLIX NOTE: BCI is hoping to include the original English dub only if they are able to locate acceptable source materials, they will manually confirm the contents of the disc once it is in stock.

Life Gamble

- English mono audio (still TBD)

- Anamorphic 2.35:1

- Audio commentary with Robert Tai & Lee Yi Min (moderated by Toby Russell)

- New interviews with Lo Meng, Ku Feng, Lee Yi Min, Shu Pei

- Liner notes

- Trailers

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Opium & the Kung Fu Master

- English mono audio (still TBD)

- Anamorphic 2.35:1

- New interviews with Chen Kuan Tai, Lee Hoi San, Mai Te Lo

- Liner notes

- Trailers

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Thanks to Cliff at BCI for listening to what fans want. I look forward to two great releases! :)

I wonder if Ti Lung refused an interview? He gave one or two to Celestial (or TVB), but I'm getting the impression he isn't much into them (although he did one with HKCinemagic if I recall correctly too).

I should note that Chinese tracks (is Mandarin correct for 'Opium' though?) are in HK Flix's listing. For a minute, I thought BCI were going to go 'Grindhouse' and put dubs on there only ;).

ASIDE, those look mighty fine extras! I will be getting these (never seen them before either).

The Running Man

Yeah. I asked about the Chinese tracks and subs in the other thread but got completely ignored.

What's the Chinese tracks that are going to be on the discs and what are the subs going to be?

BTW Shaolin Patriot, you need to update those HKflix links.

And are these two rare titles or something? Like previously only on VCD?

Both have been out via IVL DVDs/VCDs - also Thai DVDs, so they're not rare. The only thing that's rare is a possible English dub for 'Opium' (not that you care though ;)).

Mandarin is listed for both two titles and looks to be English subtitles only.

HK Flix still has them listed, but yeah, was gonna mention about those links earlier incase it was a temporary fault.

I'm looking forward to these releases. As a matter of fact, I bought a Blu-ray player two weeks ago, and these two releases were part of the reason I could finally justify it. That, and Criterion's upcoming Blu-ray releases.

It'll be great to see Shaw Brothers films in HD. Hopefully other studios will follow suit and we'll see some of the better films on Blu Ray. What I wouldn't give for a copy of "the 36th Chamber of Shaolin" in 1080p!

What I wouldn't give for a copy of "the 36th Chamber of Shaolin" in 1080p!

I feel threatened:S!

XD

Damn you Chen Lung you beat me to it :P

Yep, I'm just too fast for ya:p.

OPIUM wasn't released theatrically in Hong Kong but the original language was Cantonese.

Hopefully HK Flix have gotten it wrong, or worst: Celestial took their "every Shaw was Mandarin" approach.

Where are you Cliff :D?

Shaolin Patriot
I wonder if Ti Lung refused an interview? He gave one or two to Celestial (or TVB), but I'm getting the impression he isn't much into them (although he did one with HKCinemagic if I recall correctly too).

I was wondering the same thing myself when I posted the information. Perhaps Ti Lung was not available, due to other commitments. Maybe Cliff can offer some explanation.

Killer Meteor
OPIUM wasn't released theatrically in Hong Kong but the original language was Cantonese.

Are you sure? Just cause a release date isn't on HKFA doesn't mean it didn't get released there

Archived