BCI Eclipse's Shaw Brothers releases

gfanikf

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Holy crap this is so awesome! They got some great titles in there. Man I hope Hong Kong Kong Godfather is uncut. Thanks for the news G!

Morgoth Bauglir

Does anyone know if BCI will be remastering HK Godfather, or is it already remastered? And more importantly, will it be uncut?

Since Celestial is involved no doubt it will be remastered. Now with this and the future Media Blaster releases, things are looking bright for Shaw Brothers fans in 2008.

Now BCI is getting into the busines of releasing Shaw Brothers movies? Given their past track record, I can't wait!

Hong Kong Godfather is with Leung Kar-Yan and Tsui Siu-Keung, and directed by Wang Lung-Wei. it's a modern day Triad/action film (1985)

this is good news. now the BIG question. as these are for US release-- will they include the english dub versions ? hey--someone had to ask it--might as well be me. afterall-- dubs exist for all these titles.

Morgoth Bauglir

Check this out Dragon-

BIG thanks to gfanik for uploading that. I can't wait to see an uncut version. It better be uncut!!

Yeah basically HKG is pure fucking awesomeness. BCI is aware of the cuts and is trying to make sure it is uncut.

Bobo no word of dubs yet, BUT if they can find them I know they will use them.

No worries about videos conversion as they are using HD masters :).

Morgoth Bauglir
Yeah basically HKG is pure fucking awesomeness. BCI is aware of the cuts and is trying to make sure it is uncut.

Bobo no word of dubs yet, BUT if they can find them I know they will use them.

No worries about videos conversion as they are using HD masters :).

So they are trying to make sure it is uncut and they are using HD masters. Now that is what I like to hear!!:):) thanks for the info.

Oooh..HD masters! I'm sold. Hopefully these are of the same quality as the Dragon Dynasty ones! And like I said before, given BCI's previous track record, we don't really have much to fear.

This is going to be a great year to be a Shaw Brothers fan.

Who the hell is BCI? HA! This is good news gfanikf! If those do indeed feature english dubs some would be 1sts. Like Opium and the Kf master. I know of no copy english dubbed, same with HK Godfather. So as far as I know? those would be 'new' old dubs.

Also, it would be sweet to have the full dub for life gamble!

Thanks again!

I guess the cat is out of the bag, the deal was just signed after years of work. You don't know how happy I am to FINALLY be able to say something. I've talking with BCI for a couple of years now to get this done. I was approached nearly a year prior to the Media Blasters deal about setting up a release for these and FINALLY we can get started. They sent me a list of titles, and what you see is what I picked. HK Godfather was the toughest of the lot, and something I've been hinting of if you pay attention to my posts of the last year or so. I've been hinting about something going with a certain Mastermind title as well, but nothing as yet guys. :)

Last I heard, HK Godfather was not remastered, but will be for this release. And this will be the first release in the world on DVD. I will be watching everything along the way to make sure it's uncut if possible. I picked the titles and hopefully you guys can all help us out getting some extras together. As for dubs, I haven't seen all the info yet, but Opium and the Kung Fu Master will be dubbed. I recently did an interview about the MB titles for Hong Kong Cult Film Blog, so be watching for that. I'll do one for these as soon as there's more info on them I can give out.

That all said, Cliff Macmillan deserves major props for getting this deal done. The guy has a real vision for this and cares a LOT about the fans in whatever he releases.

BTW, there may be a larger surprise than this for US fans in the near future. Keep watching this forum!

Morgoth Bauglir
I guess the cat is out of the bag, the deal was just signed after years of work. You don't know how happy I am to FINALLY be able to say something. I've talking with BCI for a couple of years now to get this done. I was approached nearly a year prior to the Media Blasters deal about setting up a release for these and FINALLY we can get started. They sent me a list of titles, and what you see is what I picked. HK Godfather was the toughest of the lot, and something I've been hinting of if you pay attention to my posts of the last year or so. I've been hinting about something going with a certain Mastermind title as well, but nothing as yet guys. :)

Last I heard, HK Godfather was not remastered, but will be for this release. And this will be the first release in the world on DVD. I will be watching everything along the way to make sure it's uncut if possible. I picked the titles and hopefully you guys can all help us out getting some extras together. As for dubs, I haven't seen all the info yet, but Opium and the Kung Fu Master will be dubbed. I recently did an interview about the MB titles for Hong Kong Cult Film Blog, so be watching for that. I'll do one for these as soon as there's more info on them I can give out.

BTW, there may be a larger surprise than this for US fans in the near future. Keep watching this forum!

:):):) I am glad to see you are involved in this Linn!

And a larger surpise is in the works?!?! How is that even possible?!??!?!?!?!???!?

And a larger surpise is in the works?!?! How is that even possible?!??!?!?!?!???!?

On another forum Lynn implies that most of the Shaw horrors have been licensed for R1 (if I'm reading it right). Now, it could be that some of these (or maybe most) could be in DD list; they licensed about 50 titles, but they've only announced eight of them so far (that I'm aware of at least):

MY YOUNG AUNTIE (published)

36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (published)

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (published)

KING BOXER (published)

COME DRINK WITH ME (MIA)

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (MIA)

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER (MIA)

HEROES OF THE EAST (MIA)

So one or more of Shaw's horror titles could be in their hands. Of course, DD hasn't shown any indication that they would have licensed any horrors in the first place. Just look at what they've published so far (overall).

Image licensed thirty titles of which we know fourteen (unless, once again, I've missed something):

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN

THE WATER MARGIN

THE MAGIC BLADE

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS

THE WANDERING SWORDSMAN

THE DEADLY BREAKING SWORD

BELLS OF DEATH

SUPER INFRAMAN

BIG BROTHER CHENG

HEAVEN AND HELL

THE KILLER SNAKES

HUMAN LANTERNS

BLACK MAGIC

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

MONKEY GOES WEST

CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB

Given this list, I think it's safe to say that they've got at least a two or three more SB horrors in reserve.

Media Blaster list:

Chinese Super Ninjas aka Five Elements Ninjas

Heroes Two

The Master

Challenge of the Masters

Martial Club

The Deadly Duo

The Brave Archer

The Ten Tigers of Kwangtung

Black Magic 2

Flag of Iron

It contains one horror and is all they've licensed as far as I can tell.

So who's left that could have licensed most of the other Shaw horrors? I'm think Starz/Anchor Bay is a reasonable guess. Less likely but possible, ADV (think about it), Mondo Macabre (long shot), or Synapse (long shot). Time will tell.

i for one appreciate any and all remastered dub shaws. as for future surprises-- there are still many many dub shaws out there that are still waiting for someone to pick them up--examples-- DELIGHTFUL FOREST--THE KILLER--ASSASSIN--KING EAGLE--TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP--HOUSE OF TRAPS--VALLEY OF FANGS --all the SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN movies etc. theres still enough shaws out there to keep these guys busy for years. by the way i hope BCI has found the dub for LADY HERMIT as this is a personal favourite of mine. thanks

Bobo,

Well considering Celestial has been finding their "missing dubs" in storage I would think MB and now BCI have (DD always had a good chance even before Celestial seemed to take interest in cataloging and restoring their dubs)good chances of putting out more dubs than we could have hoped for just a year ago.

I can't help but think that my finding stuff at the LOC which allowed them to find it in their own facilities started to get them interesting in cataloging and cleaning up their English language materials. Well a mans ego can run wild lol

Bravo to all involved- Linn, gfanikf, etc. Great news for poeple like me, a US resident who is looking to increase his collection of awesome movies.

Archived