Legend of the Fox (1980)

Tantheman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive noticed this movie for really cheap but cant seem to find a review of it. Does anyone have it, and an opinion?

Great Kung Fu movie

Worth adding to collection

A lot of Venoms fans have it low on their lists, however, LOTF is quite a decent flick. Worth the purchase, especially if at a sale price! We've all purchased worse at greater exspense.

:P

It's probably the longest of the Venom movies. Chiang Sheng is the main villain. It's good but I prefer NEW TALES OF THE FLYING FOX (1984) also from Shaw.

I find it good up until Lu Feng's character dies. When it switches to Chin Siu Ho's section, esp. the poison section, it grinds. The action is top of the charts swordplay.

ironfistedmonk

It's not too bad a film, the poison section did drag for me but the rest of the film was pretty good IMO. New Tales of the Flying Fox is a better portrayal tho.

Crappy. Worth a DL, if you really want to see it. If you're going too pay money for it, send me the 15 bucks if you really feel like wasting money.

Wow! Thanks for the replies guys, thats a whole lot of opinions. It sounds to me to be pretty much positive overall, so I will be purchasing. I'm getting in to the venoms heavily at the mo, just got Ninja in the Deadly Trap which is pretty good. My fave of the ones I've seen is Sword Stained with Royal Blood, big up Phillip Kwok!

Wow! Thanks for the replies guys, thats a whole lot of opinions. It sounds to me to be pretty much positive overall, so I will be purchasing. I'm getting in to the venoms heavily at the mo, just got Ninja in the Deadly Trap which is pretty good. My fave of the ones I've seen is Sword Stained with Royal Blood, big up Phillip Kwok!

If you liked Sword Stained with Royal Blood, im almost positive you will like this one. Just stay the hell away from Ode To Gallantry which i cant help but repeat myself, sucked ass hairs.

I have posted my review on hkflix.com under LEGEND OF THE FOX viewer's comments. You just have to log in first before you read it.

Overall, it's quite talky with only a few swordplays to savor. This is a wu xia film, so the focus is more on the storytelling than the fights.

The then new comer Chien Siao Hao takes the main role, Kwo Chui, Chiang Sen and Lu Feng play the supporting casts.

Of the three wu xia films with the venoms, this comes second to THE SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD, while ODE TO GALLANTRY being the least interesting.

So i just searched for a thread on this movie but couldnt find one... i watched the first half of this movie last night and havent seen it in years here. I truly think it is up there with the venoms best. it has its quirks but the fighting is possibly the venoms one on one fighting "peak" , whereas five deadly venoms and crippled avengers still have the slightly slower fighting style of chang cheh's mid 70s and the later venoms have some undercranked moments ( Sswrblood) this seems to be right in the middle of these extremes.

The movie would benefit from a good dub but one doesnt exist i take it? the plot is one of those ones you cant even blink or youlll miss like a major element. I cant believe how little is online about this movie! it is considered the rarest of venoms movies according to the few articles i did find. what is the general consensus on this film?! I think its a rare gem and definitely underrated!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I haven't seen this for a while. I really like this one too. I'm gonna have to check it out again, quite soon.

If you like Ninja in the deadly Trap you will pretty much like anything. I think the performers are fantastic but I refuse to overrate a crappy film and Ninja in the dead trap, sword stained with royal blood, and legend of the fox are crappy. Also while I'm at it, any Brave Archer movie makes me wonder what was Cheng Cheh thinking!!

Sometimes I wonder how I'm such a big Shaw fan when I dislike just as many films as I love. but the films I love, I love....the films I hate, I don't overrate.....hey that rhymes.

And then there's Ode to Gallantry, films like this almost makes me glad the studios got shut down.

Yang Wu Liang

It's definately one of my favourite Venoms' films - It depends if you're into wuxia or not I suppose.

Jin Yong's novels tend to be long and epic so it's difficult to condense them down into a 90minute film. It definately helps if you're familiar with the source material, I enjoyed 'Brave Archer' much more after watching the TV series of the same story and I can actually make sense :nerd: of 'Emperor and His Brother' after reading 'Book and the Sword'.

I agree with the posters who say 'New Tales of The Flying Fox' is a more enjoyable film though... Kara Hui is absolutely fantastic and it possibly nudges into my top ten Shaws.

I didn't particularly care for Legend of a fox, for one, I just personally think that Chin Siu Ho is not good in period pieces, he didn't really fit in with the rest of the venoms at all, and lastly he was just too fresh faced to try to carry a leading role; his character just came off annoying like all his character in a venoms movie did. The fact that the missing elements of Lo Meng and Sun Chien, didn't help matters.

I didn't particularly care for Legend of a fox, for one, I just personally think that Chin Siu Ho is not good in period pieces, he didn't really fit in with the rest of the venoms at all, and lastly he was just too fresh faced to try to carry a leading role; his character just came off annoying like all his character in a venoms movie did. The fact that the missing elements of Lo Meng and Sun Chien, didn't help matters.

i respect your opinion, but i think he fits perfectly. i had no clue he was 17. And thankfull him and the king of poison girl have a slight romance in this one. after destroyers and so many chang cheh dudefests, its so great to have that women energy occasionally. i have to watch house of flying daggers to sometimes counter balance the lack of female energy in the venoms movies ( although they are my fave)

All of Jin Yong's heroes are chick-magnet (since that's how he is). CC actually skips one of Chin Siu Ho's major love interest. This other girl is portrayed by Kara Hui in New Tale of Flying Fox (another adaptation). Personally I like this movie, the choreography is top notch venom. It's one of the movie where you watch it once for the story, then use the fast forward button everytime you see it again.

So i just searched for a thread on this movie but couldnt find one... i watched the first half of this movie last night and havent seen it in years here. I truly think it is up there with the venoms best. it has its quirks but the fighting is possibly the venoms one on one fighting "peak" , whereas five deadly venoms and crippled avengers still have the slightly slower fighting style of chang cheh's mid 70s and the later venoms have some undercranked moments ( Sswrblood) this seems to be right in the middle of these extremes.

I had somehow missed this one when it was first released by Celestial. Reading this thread made me interested, but I went to DDDhouse and saw it was out of print! Got a legit Thai release cheap on ebay, and watched it last night. Totally agree with Sandpalm---this is the peak of venoms choreography---earlier stuff was slower, later stuff undercranked. The plot is kind of silly, convoluted wuxia stuff, but still enjoyable. Awesome fight scenes, though---this is as good as it gets for Shaw swordplay choreography, for me.

I had somehow missed this one when it was first released by Celestial. Reading this thread made me interested, but I went to DDDhouse and saw it was out of print! Got a legit Thai release cheap on ebay, and watched it last night. Totally agree with Sandpalm---this is the peak of venoms choreography---earlier stuff was slower, later stuff undercranked. The plot is kind of silly, convoluted wuxia stuff, but still enjoyable. Awesome fight scenes, though---this is as good as it gets for Shaw swordplay choreography, for me.

glad you checked it out man! nothing like a new venoms film! any other ones you havent seen? the only "true" venoms movie i havent seen is ode to gallantry. cant get through it. the print is the worst ive seen by celestial as well. so murky etc. i may try it again soon

here are a couple other movies i havant seen. would you guys consider these venom movies?

Death Chambers

Heaven and Hell

Archived