The Magic Blade

Shinobi

This is a great wuxia however it took a long time for me (and apparently others) to like it. I think the main reason isn't the movie itself, I don't see how it can be! But those awful subtitle translations are what brings it down. You have to get passed this "error" to really appreciate how good the movie is. This is the first Shaw bros film I've come across so far with such bad translations that it can ruin the movie. I hope to god there's not more but I'm fearing the worst lol.

I say give this another try if you only watched it once. I rate it about 7/10.

Also I never checked out the China (Zoke) or United versions did they alter the subtitles at all? Anyone know by chance?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was an early release and I was so appalled by the bad English subs that I emailed Patty Keung and even wrote to William Pfeiffer to complain. I remember writing that Celestial's new subtitles are definitely inferior to the original English subs and it is a shame because you are a Caucasian! Hope he was not offended but I did see improvements a few batches down the road.

imo, one of the best ~30-40 kf/wuxia movies ever made & definitely in my shaws-top-15.

the subs can really make u cringe at times. not as nicely remastered as others either me thinks (since i dont know the original prints`condition, i dont hold that kinda thing against a movie tho).

Ti Lung, as close to Eastwood's "Man with no name" character as it gets. I love his swivel-handled sword! Man, the dude's cool!

:cool:

Chinatown Kid

This is my favorite Wuxia film, Ti Lung reminds me of Eastwood's man with no name character and his spinning blade is so cool!:D

I loved this one. It was ultimately the film that got me into Celestial. I had stopped watching Shaw movies for a number of years. A friend of mine who owns/owned (not sure now) a video store and owed me some store credit. I saw this on the shelf and was blown away by the clarity and not to mention that it was subbed. All I had ever known was shoddy dubs. I really liked Ku Feng in this too.

Archived