Lazenby and Game of Death?

sifuhr

Hi there

Well I participated in a quiz last month where one of the questions revolved around which film Chuck Norris and George Lazenby appeared in together. One of these stupid imdb-jobs where the quizmaster surely don't know what he is asking questions about.

Sure enough when you do a imdb-search then 'Game of Death' is the only film that shows up as a joint venture between these two. Of course none of these actually were involved in the shooting of the film and is represented only by stock footage. Chuck Norris is easy to spot in the start of the film but I was a little mystifed exactly where I could spot George Lazenby? I watched the film again recently but really couldn't pick a frame where he could be involved. Would anyone care to shed a little light on the mystery? On imdb Lazenby is listed as "Fighter (archive footage) (uncredited") and the same credit goes to Lazenby on some of the documentaries on Bruce Lee. Is the HK-cut any different maybe? I know Lazenby made a deal with Raymond Chow to appear in a number of films (most of them planned with Bruce Lee .. including 'Game of Death')and maybe the footage was pulled from one of the projects that did take off.

Hope any Bruce Lee-experts can come to the rescue

cheers

• Like 1

A "deal" was struck by Bruce literally shortly before his death, for Lazenby to co-star in Lee's unfinished work at the time. They had gone over script ideas in the days after meeting, and were to complete the deal in the next day or so before fate intervined. Raymond Chow, like a true business man, hired Lazenby for a few future Golden Harvest projects to earn back the $10,000 advance Lee ordered for Lazenby, who arrived in HK broke, and pretty desparate.

The three films he made with GH studios for his 10G's...

Stoner with Angela Mao

Queen's Ransome a Wang Yu film,

Man From Hong Kong Wang Yu's first and only international film.

Keep the $10G's George, we want our money back on your career! Lol...

:cool:

• Like 1

Yeah and it was Lazenby Bruce Lee was supposed to meet the fatal evening. I guess some of the finished movies would have improved a lot with Lee in them ... although I actually enjoy some of them.

But do you have any idea where I can see archive footage of Lazenby in Game of Death? Or is the imdb-credits just plain wrong?

cheers

• Like 1

Lazenby never shot any footage....Bruce apparently said he would use him when he finished the film, but as we all know that never happened....personally i dont think had he lived he would have finished it, he would have had too many big offers from other companies....although interestingly he did say n a letter that he had set aside a few months at the end of 1973 to do a film with Shaws....

• Like 1

Lazenby never shot any footage. ...although interestingly he did say n a letter that he had set aside a few months at the end of 1973 to do a film with Shaws....

True. However, somehow, i feel Bruce would have been compelled to finish GOD. It would have been his opportunity to get beyond the whole "Silent Flute" story created earlier with he, Coburn, and Siliphant. He wanted to show those Qwielos he could do it without them. The proposed film with Shaws was to further establish his stardom and independance. He felt that if hollywood would pay a million $ to their top star, HK should do the same. Shaw was the only producer with the studio, the cash, and distributorship that could accomplish this.

The idea was to use them, then, return to U.S.A.

He couldn't shake the problems though....:(

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 1/8/2008 at 11:11 AM, The Dragon said:

A "deal" was struck by Bruce literally shortly before his death, for Lazenby to co-star in Lee's unfinished work at the time. They had gone over script ideas in the days after meeting, and were to complete the deal in the next day or so before fate intervened. Raymond Chow, like a true business man, hired Lazenby for a few future Golden Harvest projects to earn back the $10,000 advance Lee ordered for Lazenby, who arrived in HK broke, and pretty desperate.

George told Bey Logan in an interview about what was said when they took him to lunch: "He turns to Raymond and says Give George $10,000 and Raymond goes What! Why? Bruce goes We’re going to make a film with him and Raymond goes What film? Bruce goes Never mind what film. Just write the cheque."

I find it hard to believe that it never occurred to either RC or BL to say Game of Death!

• Like 2

ShawAngela
On 1/8/2008 at 12:11 PM, The Dragon said:

Man From Hong Kong Wang Yu's first and only international film.

But what a movie ! I loved Wang Yu in this movie. Maybe because it was an international movie, he had a kind of James Bond's scenes seducing women that he never had in his Chinese movies (unless I'm mistaken) and it was strange seeing him in this kind is scenes, but the rest of the movie was excellent and his fights were great.

I wonder how would have been his other international movies had he shot other ones.

• Like 2