Swordsman and Enchantress

Dragon Ma

Chu Yuan really knew how to use those Shaw Bros. set's, there's some absolutely gorgeous visuals in this film, some great fights, Ti Lung in drunken drifter mode. This film is almost whimsical, especially when that theme pops up.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iron_Leopard

Just finished a first time viewing. I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would since I never heard or read much about it before. Ti Lung is great in everything  but I really liked him here. Also who this cutie Candy Wen? First time seeing her in anything. She was a highlight. Lily Li was also a hottie in this. I have a feeling I will like this one even more after a rewatch.

Also a shout out to the main theme.

Tex Killer
4 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Also who this cutie Candy Wen?

She has been in few Venom movies also. I do not like her(roles) that much almost always she is very stubborn girl.

two-champions-of-shaolin-candy-wen-hsueh

Two champions of shaolin and bastard swordsman(imo) are best flick she has starred in..

Chu Liu Hsiang

Love everything about this movie! For those interested in the story, it's based on "The Eleventh Son", the only Gu Long novel available in print form in English translation. Highly recommended! It was the first wuxia novel I read, it's a great experience to "see" how wuxia works in words. Gu Long's language and style is very special, as one can guess from the movies or series based on his works. It also becomes obvious how much he liked drinking, too much, sadly. 

41ZAZHperuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Iron_Leopard
11 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Love everything about this movie! For those interested in the story, it's based on "The Eleventh Son", the only Gu Long novel available in print form in English translation. Highly recommended! It was the first wuxia novel I read, it's a great experience to "see" how wuxia works in words. Gu Long's language and style is very special, as one can guess from the movies or series based on his works. It also becomes obvious how much he liked drinking, too much, sadly. 

41ZAZHperuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That's kind of depressing knowing it's the only novel translated. I'm afraid if I read it I will crave more and there wont ever be any.

Do you remember it enough to compare it to the film? Any significant changes you can recall?

Chu Liu Hsiang

It's more than ten years that I read the novel and I did not manage to reread it since then but offhand I do not remember any major changes, apart from the usual movie adaption stuff (leaving out some scenes/ characters, expanding others, etc). Should you "catch fire", you could still read fan translations of other Gu Long novels online. And there are quite a few English translations of Jin Yong novels in print form, I think they are all listed in the "Classic Wuxia Novels" Thread in the Classic Martial Arts Cinema Thread (I still have to learn to link threads lol). 

One "change" is that Xiao Shiyi Lang is described as wearing ragged clothes and in the movie they put so much effort in showing him in a meticulously, fondly torn clothing :) 

Archived