Wang Yu's The Sword

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

I'm starting to watch Crash Cinema's version of THE SWORD (taken from what appears to be an American print if that opening logo is anything to go by...) and I immediately notice that the Chinese title (there's no English one) reads roughly Wang Yu's The Sword (with four characters instead of the usual one). Strange, I thought. Then I get to the end of the credits and there are two director credits -- both for Wang Yu. I think the first one is action director and the second main director. No mention of Pan Lei. Now I was under the impression than Pan Lei directed this... so what gives?

See images below:

Title.jpg

WangYu.jpg

Director.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was action director, but he not director of the film. As for the credits, it was to sell the film in certain Asian markets by touting the main draw of the film.

Guest Markgway

So those actually are the original Hong Kong credits?

I noted the difference in font and figured they might've been "altered" at a later date?

I have the film, however, since I cannot read the Chinese characters, it was of no consequence to me... I really don't know the difference when the writting is listing who's starring, directing, or what dept. or anything.

The film does have an almost cheap, imitation of Shaw/like production values. Lots of indoor/studio-shot scenes. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I could read those awful imbedded subbs better...

So those actually are the original Hong Kong credits?

The print Crash used was an export print and those are not the original Hong Kong credits. In this case, Wang Yu likely put his name on the film to get backing for it in certain countries. He was a well known director after Chinese Boxer, so something starring and directed by him would be a draw. This also happened when the star or producer distributed the film ie they'd put their name as director or sometimes change credits all together when distributing the film outside it's country of origin.

Killer Meteor

Does anyone find the picture speed on this and Knight Of Old Cathay to be a bit strange. The image seems both slow and choppy in playback, like someone didn't do 3:2 pulldown properly. A bit hard to explan to be honest

Guest Markgway

Am I right in saying that the character of 'Sun Li' aka the old bloke with long white hair and beard is played by Ku Chun?

Also does Min Min (Wang Yu's servant) have an alternate names? I couldn't find the poor bugger billed anywhere in the credits.

Archived