American Gangster

daisho2004

OK I got to finally watch this movie last night, and I'll tell you it was a great movie, more so if your familiar with the story of Frank Lucas and his rise to power during the late 60's and early 70's of the Harlem Heroin craze. Denzel Washington gave a great performance as usual.

Following the death of his employer and mentor, Bumpy Johnson, Frank Lucas establishes himself as the number one importer of heroin in the Harlem district of Manhattan. He does so by buying heroin directly from the source in South East Asia and he comes up with a unique way of importing the drugs into the United States. As a result, his product is superior to what is currently available on the street and his prices are lower. His alliance with the New York Mafia ensures his position. It is also the story of a dedicated and honest policeman, Richie Roberts, who heads up a joint narcotics task force with the Federal government. Based on a true story.

American_Gangster_poster.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doug maverick

yeah this movie was awesome. but it felt to much like two movie to me. half gangster film have serpico. originally it was suppose to be two films one for richie and one for lucas. so i guess when they merged both scripts it jive well. also here is the funny part russel crow wanted to play lucas

kungfusamurai

I liked this film. Way better than the Coen Brothers film, which came out around the same time. I'm mentioning their flick because it got the Critics Choice award for best pic and best director(s), yet American Gangster didn't get anything. Too bad.

KFS

doug maverick

yeah people were sucking on the coens brothers no country for old men. and that movie wasn't half as entertaining and felt three times as long.

I read something in the Daily News in NY last week that the DEA Agents are suing the makers of this film saying they lied at the End of the Movie, when they said a lot of Police were arrested after Frank Lucas testified, they said no Cops were arrested, Frank Lucas just testified against Members of his Own Gang and other Drug Dealers.

Guest sensible
I read something in the Daily News in NY last week that the DEA Agents are suing the makers of this film saying they lied at the End of the Movie, when they said a lot of Police were arrested after Frank Lucas testified, they said no Cops were arrested, Frank Lucas just testified against Members of his Own Gang and other Drug Dealers.

Update: DEA's case Rejected on "obvious" grounds.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23223655-1702,00.html

If the case was rejected as obviously NOT a case of libel then WHY would the DEA raise it on the first place?

1. Because their lawyers are very dumb.

2. Because they wanted people to mention offhand, that "oh yeah, the DEA is suing that movie, it's totally not true, drugs are bad, the DEA rocks and needs more of our tax money."

This was entertaining but underwhelming, considering the talent involved it could've been a top tier crime drama. As is, it's on the second shelf tops.

And you guys are crazy, No Country is infinitely superior

Archived