Which is your favorite in the Once upon a China series featuring Jet Li  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite in the Once upon a China series featuring Jet Li

• Once Upon A Time In China
    • Once Upon A Time In China 2
    • Once Upon A Time In China 3
    • Once Upon a Time In China And America

Morgoth Bauglir

I want to get the Tv series, mainly for Clubfoot. That show has to be awesome. I heard Tsui Hark went way over budget.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to get the Tv series, mainly for Clubfoot. That show has to be awesome.

I haven't seen much from that series.

I heard Tsui Hark went way over budget.

Yeah, he tends to do that alot, he's like HK's Jerry Bruckheimer :D

Ya know, as I go back and watch the first OUATIC I realize why the action never clicked with me the same way it did with Iron Monkey or Tai Chi Master. It's because there was almost no contact on film. It wasn't so much lock, hit, lock, kick. It was very flowing and kind of obscure. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly, it just doesn't feel like there's a lot of weight to it. It's harder to tell what knocked the enemy down.

But all the same, it is non-stop Yuen Woo Ping and the fighting is extremely creative nonetheless.

sonnychibaidol

I believe that the first of the series in its extended uncut format is the best of the whole series. Not only is there good martial arts, but also deep meanings in terms of the righteous elements in Kung-fu as well as the deep historical truths in both history and culture. It had more genuinely spiritual elements in it, as evidenced in the discussion between the Jesuit priest and Wong Fei Hong.

Unlike the other 2, it was also peppered with colourful language in the Cantonese tongue, to make matters more interesting. Many times, we find the use of the word: "Hum Ka Chaan" which literally means: "One's whole family will die". It is an often used curse/swear word besides "Puk Kai" in Hong Kong movies. To the dismay of many, the powerful meanings of bad language used in this meaning was glossed over in the English subtitles.

Other than this, Once Upon A Time in China was a real success in not just Hong Kong, but even in the Western world.

Omni Dragon

part 1 its nice to see the difference in the 2 action directors style with the ground gung fu at 1st then laster the more wired stuff also i'm big yuen biao fan so its nice see him in it but he didn't return for the sequels cos he was told he was the lead role. yam sai-kwoon played a his role well to, is it me or that guy doesn't look like he's aged much from films like fearless hyena to this.

part 2 has got the good fight. good villain for jet to fight played by donnie.

part 3 had good line basically saying the strength of the nation is in the little people.

and america was like a prototype for shanghai noon.

I just finally got around to watching OUATIC 1 & 2 and I must say I was extremely disappointed in part 2. After reading that this movie was in so many top 10 lists I was expecting so much more after really enjoying the first one.

The Running Man
Last Hero in China you have to see it with the English dub. It is much more funny than the original language version. The movie is already hilarious, but the English dub will have you laughing so hard you will be crying. It all has to do with the voice acting.

I've only seen a little of the English dub from the trailer that was on the UK DVD and it sounds awful. It also sound like the same bunch that (unfortunately) usually get hired to do English dubs for Hong Kong movies.

I've seen Last Hero in China in Cantonese and enjoyed it quite a lot. I believe if the subtitles were better then a lot more people would come to realize how much better it is. I wouldn't mind an English dub for it, but if it were actually well made.

As far as the OUATIC movies goes, part 2 is the best film. Not just for the action, but for everything else. Unlike part 1, which is still very good, it's more focused and sharper in its execution. It's interesting how much Yuen Biao is wasted in the first movie but then as soon as Max Mok steps in the second to replace him, Leung Foon is turned into a more interesting and active character.

3 was okay but clearly weak compared to the first two. However, I do like the further development of Aunt 13 and Fei Hung's romance.

4 was godawful. Easily the worst in the series for me.

5 was very good.

I haven't seen 6 in a while.

Second one fo sho, first one was a good movie but the fights held it back a bit. The strong use of wires and the constant doubling for Jet got a bit irritating. They went all out with the lion dancing in the third one, i thought it was creative but i would of liked more straight fu action. The ones with Vincent Zhao are pretty fun too though not on the level of the the first 3.

To me the best fight in the series is the ladder fight in part 1. And that fight in the rain is somethign special. The 2 best acting performances in the series I have to give to part 1. Jet and Yen Shi Kwan are amazing. Yuen Biao is kind of wasted, but so what? Overall it is a great movie, and the story is superb. It doesn't have some injected plot like that White Lotus Cult. The story in part 1 is very well told, and part 2 is just a mess.

Amen to that:smile:

Morgoth Bauglir

If I was to edit that last quote, it would say- Yuen Biao doesn’t get to do much fighting, but he does get to show his acting. Yau Gin Gwok, the lead from South Shaolin Master also gets shorted in the action department, but he gives such a great performance as the gang leader, I can’t complain.

Last Hero in China is one of my favorite dubs. All good funny voice actors, but the guy who dubs Alan Hsu steals the show. “Wong Fei Hung, you really are a bad boy!”

• Administrator
OMG!! I didn't even know there was Once Upon a Time In China And America.

Now I must search for it. :tongue:

It's got a really bizarre, skewed idea of the American old west. The main cowboy looks like a strange late 90's surfer dude, and the "Native Americans" look like they're played by actors that are Italian, Puerto Rican, Chinese, everything but Native Americans. It's sort of like a strange, cartoon-like fantasy version of the old west- like Sammo's previous foray into this genre- MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS. But is it entertaining? Hell yes! It's like a little bit of Jackie's WHO AM I? and SHANGHAI NOON mixed with ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA. The story is wacky but always interesting, the main villain is way over-the-top (in a very entertaining way), and there's plenty of bone-cracking action. It's definitely one of those films that could only have been made by Hong Kong filmmakers. Lot's of fun.

Hit the nail on the head there Bob!

A guilty pleasure , very silly but good action as you would expect from Sammo.

Is there a decent dvd release anywhere of this, Anamorphic original language?

The HK dvd i have of this the subs are a few seconds behind whats being spoken so very annoying.

JasonSolaris

Hi. I hope I found the right thread for my questions.

I picked up the trilogy boxset and was wondering if Once Upon a Time in China 1 and 2 originally had an insert? 3 did and I was wondering.

Also, can someone explain with 13th Aunt mean?

Thanks

I want to get the Tv series, mainly for Clubfoot. That show has to be awesome. I heard Tsui Hark went way over budget.

Anyone here ever seen these episodes for sale anywhere? I tried the Philly Chinatown back when they were on VHS and could not get them. I have seen one episode on laserdisc listed on ebay, but waaay out of my price range and no English subs.

hi. I hope i found the right thread for my questions.

I picked up the trilogy boxset and was wondering if once upon a time in china 1 and 2 originally had an insert? 3 did and i was wondering.

Thanks

uk, us , other set???

JasonSolaris
uk, us , other set???

Sorry, it's the Columbia Tristar R1 boxset. I forgot to mention #1 and 2 that didn't have an insert came in those environmental cases ("holes" through the cases).

Has the 3 after this trilogy been released officially in R1?

Thanks

I just finally got around to watching OUATIC 1 & 2 and I must say I was extremely disappointed in part 2. After reading that this movie was in so many top 10 lists I was expecting so much more after really enjoying the first one.

Part 2 is great for Yen and some of the Iron Qigong, but to me that was always about it.

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I always remember part 2 as being sort of unoriginal and lacking in humor (though I do recall Li and Foon eating dog). Also, replacing Yuen Biao always felt cheesy to me. Like he was doing anything better!

Archived