What is the worst MA film you have watched?

Guest shukocarl

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

That reminds me of a Yorkshire martial arts movie that was directed by the below gentleman. It was called I'll Kill Ya (stylised as Illkillya). It was actually reviewed by Jude Poyer in the special edition #4 issue (early 1995) of Eastern Heroes.

https://vimeo.com/mrjulianbutler

Looks like I need to check that out! :BL-Laughing:

• Like 2

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Jude's review...

I remember seeing a preview for that film on one of the two Eastern Heroes VHS Video Magazines they did.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I wonder what became of those guys.

I've just finished watching Fatal Deviation. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I liked the reference to God of Gamblers. :laugh

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave would be my number one now. 

Is that the one that has "Popeye" and "James Bond" in it?

• Like 2

starschwar
6 minutes ago, DarthKato said:

Nah, that's "The Dragon Lives Again" - which is my favorite Bruceploitation flick.  It's insane, nonsensical, tasteless.  But it's about Bruce battling his way through fictional characters in the afterlife.  Entertaining in its absurdity.

Worst I've seen, that's tough... but I might go with Fist of Fear, Touch of Death.  A purported documentary about Bruce that's full to bursting with outright implausible lies ("Bruce Lee's grandfather was the greatest samurai in China."), stock footage, and random action scenes that have nothing to do with anything.  None of which are good in their own right.  Terrific riffing fodder, but no redeeming qualities in and of itself.  Points for the use of a giant abacus as a weapon, I guess. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, starschwar said:

Nah, that's "The Dragon Lives Again" - which is my favorite Bruceploitation flick.  It's insane, nonsensical, tasteless.  But it's about Bruce battling his way through fictional characters in the afterlife.  Entertaining in its absurdity.

Thanks bud. I really do need to get around to watching it. 

35 minutes ago, starschwar said:

Worst I've seen, that's tough... but I might go with Fist of Fear, Touch of Death.  A purported documentary about Bruce that's full to bursting with outright implausible lies ("Bruce Lee's grandfather was the greatest samurai in China."), stock footage, and random action scenes that have nothing to do with anything.  None of which are good in their own right.  Terrific riffing fodder, but no redeeming qualities in and of itself.  Points for the use of a giant abacus as a weapon, I guess. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I was younger, I saw a copy of this in a dollar store and thought it was a Bruce Lee movie that I didn't know about(I hadn't heard of "Bruceplotation" films at that time). Boy, was I disappointed to find out it was some garbage "Documentary". It now has a permanent home in the local landfilled. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
12 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I actually fucked up. It's not the one with Popeyes and James Bond in it but that's the one I actually meant. So, The Dragon Lives Again is actually the worst kung fu movie I've seen.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I actually fucked up. It's not the one with Popeyes and James Bond in it but that's the one I actually meant. So, The Dragon Lives Again is actually the worst kung fu movie I've seen.

I actually found a copy of it on YouTube for free, so I will be watching it soon to see how I like it. 

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave is what happens when an American distributor tacks on a new title and intro onto a film that has nothing to do with Bruce Lee.

I'm rather fond of it, all things considered!

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Worst MA film for me? Probably a toss-up between CRAZY GUY WITH SUPER KUNG FU and 36 DEADLY FISTS. Endless stupid gurning comedy never sits well with me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave is what happens when an American distributor tacks on a new title and intro onto a film that has nothing to do with Bruce Lee.

I'm rather fond of it, all things considered!

What was the original title of the movie?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I have seen an English language lobby card for it under the name DRAGON, presumbly before Aquarius picked it up.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I have seen an English language lobby card for it under the name DRAGON, presumbly before Aquarius picked it up.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:11 PM, Cognoscente said:

Visitor of America.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:07 PM, DarthKato said:

What was the original title of the movie?

I could be wrong here, but wasnt it reffered to as The Stranger in some markets?.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I could be wrong here, but wasnt it reffered to as The Stranger in some markets?.

I checked and it has indeed been called all of those names. Not sure which was first, but a review on CityonFire referred to it as originally being called The Stranger. 

• Like 2

Jackie Chan Kung Fu Master 

Absolute misleading false advertisement. Not your typical Chan fu flick but about a boy who is keeps saying he must meet Jackie Chan for some reason and goes through quite bad areas of a town on some mission to find him or whatever. Pretty terrible, was confused as to what in the world I was watching. The one scene where Jackie is in is actually kinda neat where he does some stuff on a set then the scene cuts and he walks off set. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most of the Tapout-sponsored MMA films in the late 2000s and early 2010s were pretty bad as they tried too hard to capitalize on the sport. They should have watched Donnie Yen's films with MMA action to learn a thing or two about choreography, angles and editing. 

Then there's Circle of Fury and Gutter King, two more indie films that capitalized on both MMA and backyard-style brawling that were just unwatchable. 

• Like 3

Cognoscente

The lousiest 21st century MA movie that I've seen is Redbelt. David Mamet really let himself down with that one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

The lousiest 21st century MA movie that I've seen is Redbelt. David Mamet really let himself down with that one.

I never saw it as an MA film but a drama about MA.

Not an MA film per se, but it had a lot of fights. Taken 3. An insult to cinema and, more importantly, the art of editing.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 1:48 PM, Cognoscente said:

I wonder what became of those guys.

The preview of their movie looked really good, so many Hong Kong movies references in there. Made at time before Mobile/Laptop technology made indiependent filmaking easier. The Brandon Lee tribute movie, which I think was called The Raven?, was one of the best featured in old Eatern Heroes video magazines. One them featured a young Scott Adkins, fighting foes in his Grandmas back yard. With some clear nods to John Woo style gunplay.

• Like 2

Hellkat is a very bad MMA film and the reason is you couldn't really see anything. The premise is interesting: a female MMA fighter literally goes to Hell to save her sister by fighting in a underworld tournament. The execution was its downfall. Under a red filter in the dark, it just was horrendous.

• Like 2