What is the worst MA film you have watched?

Guest shukocarl

ShaOW!linDude
We all have varying views and opinions. Makes us great. Has anyone seen Black Mask 2? Hopefully somebody else feels my pain

Aw, dude...I watched that not long ago for a 2nd time and only because Scott Adkins and Andy On are in it. I watched it once, like, 10-12 years ago, before either of them were stars. Should have left it at that.

• Like 1

Aw, dude...I watched that not long ago for a 2nd time and only because Scott Adkins and Andy On are in it. I watched it once, like, 10-12 years ago, before either of them were stars. Should have left it at that.

OMG! Twice brother? I feel your pain

Secret Executioner
We all have varying views and opinions. Makes us great. Has anyone seen Black Mask 2? Hopefully somebody else feels my pain

Never saw it, but I read it was pretty bad. :worried

Yeah Black Mask 2 was pretty awful. All it was was just bad CGI effects mixed in with On not really doing anything except jumping around and off walls. However, I saw he had a little potential and look where he is now...Scott Adkins doesn't really do anything until his last fight with On. Even Rob Van Dam gets wasted in this. However, some interesting factoids: Iguana was played by future Leatherface Andrew Bryniarski and the wrestler he beats to a pulp in mutated form is played by Michael Bailey Smith, who played Papa Jupiter in the remake of Hills Have Eyes.

I had bought a Jackie Chan 2-pack VHS tape many years ago, came with Police Force (the re-edit of the original Police Story) and a godawful film called Fists of Chan, which was apparently supposed to be a documentary but nothing more than clips from his oddities 36 Crazy Fists and Fantasy Mission Force. Very bad.

And don't get me started on these three: Dragonball Evolution, Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li, and The Last Airbender...please!

• Like 1

Fist Of Fear, Touch Of Death. Martial arts "Documentary" about Bruce Lee, filld with a bunch of BS, fake staged interviews that try to be "edgy", embarrasingly put together false interview footage with Bruce lee that dubs his voice over and uses sepia color filters to make it appear as old interview footage, disrespectful speculation and straight up misinformation. This is a self-proclaimed documentary that described Bruce lee as "coming from a long line of samurai warriors". absolute garbage.

Wow, first post wins. Just what I was coming to say. Will only add starring Aaron Banks, who primary skill seems to be endless self promotion at the expense of anything and anyone. Probably the greatest single insult to Bruce Lee ever put on film, one of the most embarrassing individuals ever to be associated with the martial arts.

I had to walk away from Buddhas Palm, Holy Flame of the Martial Arts, and Shaolin vs evil Dead 1 & 2. I only bought the last 2 becasue I love Gordon Liu and the other two because they are so notoriously bad, but I couldn't watch them through!!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I am with you Hei: Holy Flame... remains rough going.

I'll swap out Five Elements Ninjas with The Snake Prince. No amount of Ti Lung going Thulsa Doom can quite erase how freaking bad that was.  The musical number in Heaven and Hell may have been tonally goofy, but the musical numbers in this movie are tone deaf. 

ShaOW!linDude

Thought I'd scroll through the mini-reviews and look at my suggestions to avoid:

Teen Boxer, Maximum Cage Fighting, Chai Lai Angels, Millennium Dragon, An Empress & The Warriors, Six String Samurai, Ultimate Force, The Restless, The Black Ninja, The Eliminator, Mercury Man, Clash of Empires, Beatdown, True Legend, Black Cobra, Guaranteed On Delivery, The Last Sentinel, Black Mask 2, Wrong Side Of Town, Bangkok Assassins, Misfire, and Kwoon.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Agreed on Six String Samurai, Black Mask 2 and  True Legend, ShaOW! 

• Like 1

Deadly Snail vs Kung Fu Killer. A close second for me would be Hanuman: White Monkey Warrior.

Duel For The Agreement was really difficult to sit through. Also, just stay away from any martial arts film with the word Bangkok in the title. Afaik, the only exception is Bangkok Knockout.

masterofoneinchpunch

I honestly do not know how True Legend could be among the worst.  I found two-thirds of it fun and while there are plenty of really bad Dragon Lee and Bruce Le films out there, there is no way this could even be close.

Secret Executioner

I honestly do not know how True Legend could be among the worst.  I found two-thirds of it fun and while there are plenty of really bad Dragon Lee and Bruce Le films out there, there is no way this could even be close.

I'm confused here... True Legend has nothing to do with Dragon Lee or Bruce Le, right ? Unless you're not referring to the relatively recent True Legend but to another film of the same title...  :hvb_not_sure:

masterofoneinchpunch

I'm confused here... True Legend has nothing to do with Dragon Lee or Bruce Le, right ? Unless you're not referring to the relatively recent True Legend but to another film of the same title...  :hvb_not_sure:

It has nothing to do with each other.  The reference was that most Bruceploitation films are so incredibly bad that even if you think True Legend was mediocre to bad that it is still light years ahead in terms of direction, crew, acting, cinematography, pacing, storyline that say Big Boss II.

Secret Executioner

It has nothing to do with each other.  The reference was that most Bruceploitation films are so incredibly bad that even if you think True Legend was mediocre to bad that it is still light years ahead in terms of direction, crew, acting, cinematography, pacing, storyline that say Big Boss II.

Somehow, I'd still take a good old Bruceploitation over most recent MA movies. But I guess it's just a matter of me loving the goofiness of the subgenre.

masterofoneinchpunch

Somehow, I'd still take a good old Bruceploitation over most recent MA movies. But I guess it's just a matter of me loving the goofiness of the subgenre.

There are definitely good Bruceploitation and many are often goofy, but they are too ersatz and often shoddy productions.  They can be fun to a point, but if we are going to be serious about production values, talent from the crew and acting they are often lacking severely.   Take a look at Bruce’s Fists of Vengeance (1988: Bill James: Philippines) which I would rather watch something like True Legend tens of times before watching that again.  It's a completely incompetent film.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I can't speak for anyone else, but the True Legend I am voting worst is the 2010 wuxia. 

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

...if you think True Legend was mediocre to bad that it is still light years ahead in terms of direction, crew, acting, cinematography, pacing, storyline that say Big Boss II.

You're right, it had all those things going for it...and horrible, wire-heavy choreography that got progressively worse as the film went on. For me, a film that could have been a spectacular MA movie is instead a spectacle of one. But that's me. (And yes, there's a lot of bad Bruceploitation out there I have yet to see, and I'd sooner try watching a few of those than sit through TL again.)

I noticed that some of you are calling movies like six string samurai bad when I think it's an abstract movie at best.(Hey it did have Jeff Falcon right?) You want to talk about bad? Or the worst?

Well how about false advertising movies like "Snake in the Eagle Shadow Fist" which has Jacky in the movie but only as bit performer role as a Peking opera member who gets killed early in the film.What about "Fist of the Unicorn"starring Bruce Lee who's all over the cover flexing like Mr.Olympia but all he has is a brief apperance as some random guy sitting cross legged at the lake having a smoke.He then appears again at the end of the movie in a behind the scenes footage with him bare chested wearing a gold chain among The cast and crew.The movie isn't even about him! Come to find out,he appeared in the movie because they spliced footage with Bruce on the set and merged it with the actual film.

The point I'm trying to make is that these movies were put out to capitalize off of famous people after they were famous and in Bruce Lee's case deceased.The snake in the eagle's shadow fist wasn't even called that originally.That movie was some crap Jacky starred in at the beginning of his career to pay some bills and never got released until he made it big and they changed the title to reap the benefits from the blockbuster original SITES movie and showcased it like it was the sequel.(Boy was I pissed when I first rented it)

In the case of fist of the unicorn,Bruce's childhood buddy Unicorn Chan knew nobody wasn't gonna pay money to see his ugly ass even if he was a decent acrobat and had  appearances from guys like Yasuaki Kurata,Meng Hoi,Jacky Chan,Mars,Chui Chung San,Whang In Sik etc.Because they weren't big time yet either.Bruce Lee was the most highest paid Martial Arts star in HK before his death, So Unicorn got slick and used footage from Bruce that wasn't even intended for that movie and made Bruce the headliner when in truth the movie had nothing to do with him.

Now to me that's THE WORST!

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 1

Well, Rush Hour 3 turned out to not be that bad after all. So I will update my opinion and say that Kung Fu League was probably the worst. I was really disappointed in that movie. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente

That reminds me of a Yorkshire martial arts movie that was directed by the below gentleman. It was called I'll Kill Ya (stylised as Illkillya). It was actually reviewed by Jude Poyer in the special edition #4 issue (early 1995) of Eastern Heroes.

https://vimeo.com/mrjulianbutler

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I think Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave would be my number one now. I see a few people mentioned The Clones of Bruce Lee in this thread and that film is a masterpiece compared to "Fights Back."

• Like 2

Not even sure if this counts as an MA film but seeing that DB: Evolution and SF: The Legend of Chun-Li made the list :laugh

One that comes immediately to mind is the live-action adaption of AVATAR: The Last Airbender. I watch tons of movies with my wife and this was a first for her to get up and leave. Seriously!

I don't know what put me more off, the pre-release "scandals" which were all about white-washing. Which in the end was kind of weird as seeing that most of the actors were Indian. Or that M. Night Shyamalan just pretty much pissed all over the source material. Do I have to mention that he didn't even bother to have the names pronounced correctly... I doubt I have to. 

There was one decent scene involving the Blue Spirit. The rest is utter garbage! I only hope Netflix will do it justice with their upcoming series. Although not holding my breath since both creators of the show already dropped out of the project.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2