Recycled SB soundtracks

oldeschool17

Wow I can't believe New Finds IX is practically untouched! That image just so happens to be a link click it. Now this is New Finds X... tsk tsk, if you only download ONE of these out of all TEN... this is the one. REALLY!

Also, that JP library music (Toei Music Library) is from "Special Mobile Force" "TOKUBETSU KIDOUTAI" and I haven't found it. I found some other stuff but not that.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... rumor has it that the "official" CD comes out September 22nd 2008. I'm not gonna hold my breath unless I see a tracklist (which is nowhere to be found at the moment). One site was kind enough to post 3 samples. I'm nowhere near as excited now, but I still respect that somebody took the initiative to go through with it. I honestly thought the whole idea was a flop because the date was pushed WAY back with no explanation.

Oh and I finally got to see "Animals are Beautiful People" and it had music from Pierre Arvay's DWLP "The Big Top" (heard in Shaolin Mantis "Danse Du Grizzly" and that goofy theme from Treasure Hunters)... now the theme you "all" were talking about from 5 Element Ninjas (AAAP desert intro/outro) I still don't know, but I think I have a close idea.

PS. New Finds XI is coming together already.

Not long after that post I found an excellent review by Randall Larsons @ http://www.buysoundtrax.com/larsons_soundtrax.html

Those of us addicted to the classic Shaw Brothers martial arts movies of the ‘70s and ‘80s – especially now that they’re becoming available on DVD in their original language and undistorted original coloration and set design rather than the horrible edited and dubbed versions that played in American grindhouses and made martial arts movies a bad joke – recognize that most of the music for these films was not originally composed. Where individuals were credited with music, they were primarily music supervisors and compilers, or else wrote partial original music which was supplemented by library and lifted music for the whole soundtrack. The music they selected was quite often anybody else’s score. Morricone was a frequent target, his music lifted from Italian Westerns and action films with free abandon and inserted into a kung fu movie with little guilt, making for a very strange listening experience for those of us accustomed to hearing ‘60s and ‘70s Morricone in his original Italian cinematic environment. I was watching the Shaw Bros. kung-fu horror film Human Lanterns a couple of weeks ago only to find Akira Ifukube’s theme from Majin: The Hideous Idol used in a couple of pivotal scenes – and no hideous idol anywhere in site. The practice eventually came to a stop, and Asian cinema is now renowned for its original scored and a Buddha’s fistful of splendid composers.

Anyway, back to the 70s… in addition to lifting from soundtrack albums, Shaw Brothers also licensed library music from professional libraries such as that of England’s De Wolfe Music Library, a source library of music used in numerous film and television projects since 1909 (yes: Nineteen Oh Nine!). A lot of the music you heard in those Shaw Brothers kung-fu classics were written for and housed in De Wolfe’s library. Now De Wolfe has released some of the best and most innovative library music used in the Shaw’s kung-fu classics in Kung Fu Super Sounds. Re-mastered and sounding as good as they did way when we first saw them in drive-ins or grindhouse theatres, De Wolfe Music Library has herewith curated and compiled some rare slices of Hong Kong’s Shaw Brothers OST ephemera. The 43 track, 76-minute album includes original library cues used in Return To The 36th Chamber (1980), The Bastard Swordsman (1983), Dirty Ho (1979), Invincible Shaolin (1978), The Kung Fu Instructor (1979), House Of Traps (1982) , My Young Auntie (1981), Flag Of Iron (1984), Shaolin Mantis (1978) and many more Shaw Brothers cult classics. The album is simply one of the most exciting soundtrack releases in recent years. Not only is the music incredibly nostalgic for those of us who remember these films – or have discovered them anew on DVD in recent years – but the music is really quite terrific. Most of what made it into these kung-fu punch-and-kick-fests was light-hearted contemporary pop action – think Morton Stevens, Joe Harnell, early Billy Goldenberg, and the like. You may or may not recognize the names of the composers – Reg Tilsley (The Haunted House of Horror), Paul Ferris (Witchfinder General), Roger Webb (The Godsend; Death of a Centerfold), but they all contributed or licensed their music to De Wolfe’s vast archives, where it found use throughout Shaw’s wonderful library of martial arts movies.

The tracks here range from the boldly energetic (Edward Michael’s “Rite De La Terre-Earth” as used as the theme in Avenging Eagle (1978), the raging battle music “Violence” by Eric Towren from Invincible Shaolin (1978), the strikingly textured exotica of Derek Scott’s “Two Minutes Precisely” from Ten Tigers of Kwang Tung (1979), the breathtaking enervation of Reg Tilsley’s “Industrial Complex” from The Master (1980), Pierre Arvay’s masterful percussion array “The Mystified Man” from Flag of Iron (1980), the doom-full chiming keyboards and bells of Eric Towren’s “Abimes Souterrains” from the aforementioned Human Lanterns (1982), the Schifrinesque jazz riffing of Tilsley’s “Tension Trip” from 1979’s Dirty Ho, or Don Harper’s splendid keyboard melange “Troubled Mind” from the same film. Or Sam Spence’s quirky “Moog Shot 25” from Buddha’s Palm (1982). The cues average in the 1.75 minute range, but they are so infectious and likable and effective in working their martial arts accompaniment magic, and they are so compatible together, that Kung Fu Super Sounds is definitely one of the best and most significant soundtrack releases of the year.

Virtually none of it has been released before, heard only amid the gargantuan slaps and cosmic punches and other enlarged sound effects of kung fu cinema. This and another release from De Wolf, Bite Harder, a compilation of 70s groove tunes and backbeats licensed out for use in any number of films, provide the rare opportunity to hear this terrific music on its own.

I'm leaning more towards getting it now. Some of those I definitely don't have... but I might soon after this next batch of LPs comes in the mail about the same time this comes out. :monkey10 I wonder if it will be import only. It would make my day to just be able to walk into FYE and pick it up.

I saw this over at Amazon UK but I'm still on the fence.

Hopefully they will release a complete tracklist shortly.

Just downloaded IX & X.

Thanks Yu_Xihong....

Received an email from Col with moviegrooves and he stated they have it for pre-order and it will ship late November. I trust Col and moviegrooves as they've never mislead me. Will probably buy it from there.

No problem. Hmmm... I noticed that now some sites have the date as being October 13th 2008. And one says it'll ship in 4 days. I think if www.moviegrooves.com gets it, then it's official.

Nice find, I didn't even notice it. I need to get this Frank Rothman LP... I've been curious about "Face to Face" for some time. Just found Dodge City over the weekend. I also need to find that Eric Towren underwater sounds LP (maybe, maybe not... his work all sounds the same but is spread out). And last, I've been looking for the Trombey LP with that 2 Champions/Masked Avengers theme I just don't know what it is yet. It might be the same as Frank Rothman's. He also did "Martial Club - Danger March." It sounds like it all comes from the same industrial drum style family. I'm pretty sure he also did the music for when Wei Pai was cooking in the oven. A few I have, but didn't know they were used in a movie. This is cool, much respect to these guys.

3. Suppression

(Two Champions of Shaolin)

Jack Trombey

Yes finally the opening theme for 2 Champions/Masked Avengers. Beats the rip I did from the Ground Zero DVDs.

Hopefully these will sellout and more volumes of this stuff will be released.

There were a possible 2 industrial LPs on auction... I got 1 I think the other is gone. The other one may have been the one (they sourced for some of the heavily sought themes) because it was Trombey and other artists (and it cost more). I got Papworth -_- (may still be good though) but naturally I want them all. They haven't arrived yet.

Later Edit

Actually, there's a track called "Industrial Complex" on there and there's a whole LP by the same name. The Trombey LP I thought was the one doesn't list Rothman at all. Putting 2 and 2 together I have some questions for this guy selling it when I have some more money lol.

The search is still on. My LPs were duds this time for the most part. I ended up spending a grip for ish that I have already or don't want (still mildly upset). All the greatness I thought I was getting is elsewhere off the map. Lesson learned, ask more questions! I asked around and NONE of the above mentioned LPs have suppression, face to face, etc. Industrial Complex might be good... but that sample doesn't exactly confirm a 3 Evil Masters main theme does it?

The search is still on. My LPs were duds this time for the most part. I ended up spending a grip for ish that I have already or don't want (still mildly upset). All the greatness I thought I was getting is elsewhere off the map. Lesson learned, ask more questions! I asked around and NONE of the above mentioned LPs have suppression, face to face, etc. Industrial Complex might be good... but that sample doesn't exactly confirm a 3 Evil Masters main theme does it?

Industrial Complex wasn't what I thought, I'm glad I didn't get the LP because of that sample. There still might be some good stuff on there though. I've taken enough shots in the dark for now.

Anyway, here is the last "NEW FINDS" until further notice. Also, don't be alarmed, I wouldn't dare spoil the new CD.

No problem. Just now I IDed 2 tracks that have been bothering me for months. I just couldn't remember where they came from.

Eh I Forget - Nel Carcere

Eh I Forget - E Dover Morire

Those are both Return to the 36th Chamber. A small weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Like this right?

Eh I Forget - Little Prelude.mp3 = Nel Carcere

Eh I Forget - Off the Cuff Links No3.mp3 = E Dover Morire

Great find on Ebay for the DeWolfe CD. There are two there now but I've preordered through moviegrooves. Priced slightly cheaper through ebay and I could get it earlier. Oh well, patience I guess......

Wonder how the sellers got it before the release date.

Like this right?

Eh I Forget - Nel Carcere = Return to the 36th Chamber

Eh I Forget - E Dover Morire = Return to the 36th Chamber

Eh I Forget - Off the Cuff Links No3 = ???IDK etc... (something in the back of my mind says it's one of the high flying 80s movies... maybe Holy Flame of the Martial World)

Great find on Ebay for the DeWolfe CD. There are two there now but I've preordered through moviegrooves. Priced slightly cheaper through ebay and I could get it earlier. Oh well, patience I guess......

Wonder how the sellers got it before the release date.

From the beginning there have been like 10-15 "Eh I Forgets." I still don't know... Off the Cuff Links No3 or Little Prelude (might be Shaolin Mantis) I did get a raw deal though. Brand new and used at the same time, I'm gonna see what this guy says tomorrow after I present my evidence I'm too tired right now.

TibetanWhiteCrane

This isn't really SB related, but does any of the music experts here know this theme, played in SEVEN STEPS OF KUNG FU, during the training scene, and again in the final fight??

Im dying to get my hands on it. It is probably from some american movie, originally!

Youtube vid of the training scene with said theme...

Gah I some how deleted my files. The only one left for Dl New 7,10,11 and parts Music from the Monastery 1. Can anyone reup them the others using rapidshare?

Thanks

Oh Yu any luck on finding out what the source music is for Proper Burial from 7MA and Li Shih Kai from 5 Shaolin Masters?

Lol what!? That's madness! And no news on those 2 tracks. However, I am cooking up a new comp (46 files so far with more on the way). Give me a week. All of the rest are on my blog. I do parallel updates on here New Finds (has bonus tracks just for KFC) vs Xihong's Library.

Archived