Recycled SB soundtracks

oldeschool17

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had to come out of the woodworks for this one. I can't believe they are really making an official compilation I thought it was just a rumor. Can't wait to get it! I've been compiling Shaw Bros cues like a madman for the past couple of years. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested. Theres like 500 or so cues in all.
Oh, and this, for sure interested mate, sounds good. How would you share - do you have them uploaded somewhere? Put me down as one of the interested!

Where's the FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS music snatched from? It's such a great, distinctive soundtrack. Been wondering that for 22 years!

Not sure. It's a safe bet it's library music though. I remember some others...

The music in THE MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS is library music. When I was in school we watched a filmstrip version of LORD OF THE FLIES and many of the cues in MR was in this filmstrip. The opening bit just before Lu Feng fights the first guy that music is from the Italian horror flick WEB OF THE SPIDER (1973).

The music that plays at the end of CONVICT KILLER was utilized in a Saturday morning cartoon called BLACKSTARR a sort of Conan mixed with He-Man trappings. I assume it was stock music as well.

Also, music from HORROR EXPRESS (1972), the excellent British/Spanish horror flick starring Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Telly Savalas can be heard in ROAR OF THE LION (1981) among others.

Also, music from the British horror flick THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR (1967) can be heard in numerous kung fu movies.

Not sure. It's a safe bet it's library music though. I remember some others...

The music in THE MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS is library music. When I was in school we watched a filmstrip version of LORD OF THE FLIES and many of the cues in MR was in this filmstrip. The opening bit just before Lu Feng fights the first guy that music is from the Italian horror flick WEB OF THE SPIDER (1973).

The music and themes used in a lot of Venoms flicks is DeWolfe studio library music, the main ones queried in the OP are DeWolfe pieces from what I can tell. I have a feeling that soundtrack CD will contain a lot of familiar Venoms themes (rather than stuff ripped from Euro movies or prog bands, etc.) as it seems to be a DeWolfe release, similar to the likes of the general DeWolfe "Bite Hard" CD released a couple of years back that incidentally contains a few recognisable Shaw bits and bobs in its running.

Magnificent Ruffians also very notably rips some score off Bernard Hermann's absolutely masterful Taxi Driver soundtrack. Those dark-spine-tingling orchestral swells you hear as they bring out Lu Feng's spear towards that finale, if I remember rightly without a double-check. Phenomenal score - made the scene a bit more ooomphy. Shit, I love this score with DeNiro in the mix, but (and despite the minute brevity of that used), that sound, the venoms, and a big old golden kwan do... that's that good stuff.

The TAXI DRIVER music is used in some others, too. The opening theme I've heard in numerous KF movies. I'd have to look at it again to refresh my memory.

That would be a cool CD to get. I'll see if amazon US has it.

Believe it or not, I was watching the Shaw Crime film THE INFORMER (1980) directed by Wang Chung earlier tonight and there's a scene in a disco where the same song can be heard in the US film CREEPSHOW (1982) when Ed Harris is dancing with his wife. Don't Let Go is the name of the song I guess. That's the only words I recall hearing but I thought it was funny to hear this tune in a Chinese movie and in English.

Speaking of THE BIG GUNDOWN theme used in SECRET RIVALS, Chang Cheh's THE SAVAGE FIVE features music from the Morricone score for DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1968).

You guys are on a roll. If you know any more sources shout them out. I've already been able to find QUITE A FEW thanks to KFF.

I've got stacks of spaghetti westerns I have yet to watch. I might luck up and find where the HEROIC ONES theme comes from.

Killer Meteor

The Water Margin: Much of the score is from Uriah Heep's album Salisbury

Five Shaolin Masters: The villian's theme sounds like an electronic re-working of Cheyenne's theme in Once Upon A Time In The West

Sons Of Good Earth: The music that plays during the final battle is from Goldfinger - "Dawn Raid on Fort Knox"

Trail Of The Broken Blade (Chinese version only), the music that plays as Chen Hung Lieh and his men ride to the village is from Zulu

The Lizard (Chinese version only) - Pink Floyd's One Of These Days is in some of the action set pieces

Black Magic - Tangerine Dream's Rubycon makes several appearences, often mized with another track

Daredevils: The Venom's theme is a DeWolfe track called Masks of Death and can be heard on the Trunk soundtrack album to Dawn Of The Dead

And now as a bonus, the Secret Rivals theme with lyrics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzDsvoqD0oI

That is freaking awesome. Thanks so much. Great job on the track names and all the info.

Yu, PM me so I can send you a copy of To Kill A Mastermind. Its the least I can do for such an amazing upload and with more to come. I'm so throwing this on the ipod for working out and walking to and fro school.

Mad respect. If I can do anything for you please let me know. I can't wait till I check out 5SM as I've always wanted to know what the hand sign music is. I'm also a huge 7MA nut among all this other great stuff.

Any movies your missing let me know!

Also thanks for using the English dub for the recording of some. Its just awesome. Still I would love to know the origins of Li Shih Kai from 5SM. Still it will be great to rock the ipod with!

Brave Archer 2 :) Monty Python :)

No need to stand on ceremony. I started out making these as little sounds for my pc logon/logoff and now it's a full blown addiction. I think 5SM Intro was the very 1st one I made like 2 years ago. And that's a very generous offer but I managed to get my hands on a TKAM @ the Lo Meng meet and greet. Kudos to you if you're the one who made all the copies. 7MA? I'm drawing a blank.

@Oldeschool I refrain from using some of those for one reason or another. The best ones are really Zshare.net and mediafire but theres a 100mb limit. But for now I'm alternating sendspace and megaupload. Maybe I'll try filemojo on part iv. Thanks for the assist.

Everyone don't be afraid to discuss your faves. Gfanikf is leading with a good example. And ahem... Music From the Monastery Part II and Music From the Monastery Part III.

No need to stand on ceremony. I started out making these as little sounds for my pc logon/logoff and now it's a full blown addiction. I think 5SM Intro was the very 1st one I made like 2 years ago. And that's a very generous offer but I managed to get my hands on a TKAM @ the Lo Meng meet and greet. Kudos to you if you're the one who made all the copies. 7MA? I'm drawing a blank.

Pffh don't be so humble, you've put a lot of time and effort into this and I appreciate your generosity.

7MA= Seven Man Army. Hmm were you the guy who traded a copy with Bobby Samuels? I actually gave let me think maybe 3 or 4 people a copy that day. I'm now quite interested how did you get it? Just wondering. Are you from Philly or were you just visiting?

Archived