Recycled SB soundtracks

oldeschool17

Ive noticed that several shaw bros soundtracks, primarily the ones in Venoms films are recycled.

Masked Avengers & Two Champions of Shaolin

Killer Constable & Rebel Intruders

Flag of Iron & Shaolin vs Wu Tang

Ive noticed this is played alot in alot of venoms films too(around 1:26):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdMM1KN9IEw&feature=related

This one is the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFBU4RjdGEw

Ive also noticed the soundtrack they play in several venoms films(its played in masked avengers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-jjmV1Hgc

As well as the intro to Bloody Parrot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHttd97dtXk

Which ones have you noticed?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am I mistaken or did Killer Constable had some same music as Liu Chia Liang film(8 diagram pole fighter maybe....)?

5 Element Boxer

Yeah. You'll find a lot of the same scores in several Shaw Bros. movies. The real question is: Will they ever be released on CD? That's what I want to know. Probably not, though. :(

oldeschool17
Yeah. You'll find a lot of the same scores in several Shaw Bros. movies. The real question is: Will they ever be released on CD? That's what I want to know. Probably not, though. :(

That would be great if we could get them on cd. Something tells me that wont happen.

The music from the first two clips are from or is stock music which can be heard in the Warner Bros. mondo doc ANIMALS ARE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (1971). This music is also heard in 5EN. The music heard when Ricky Cheng escapes his bonds is also from the above film.

The music heard in the opening of BLOODY PARROT is taken from the original score for MAD MAX (1979). I have that one. This music is also heard throughout MASKED AVENGERS and numerous others.

The brief sound effect just before the music hits on the BLOODY PARROT opener is an effect from FLASH GORDON (1980). This sound effect is heard on many other kung fu flicks like SHAOLIN DRUNKARD (1983) and another effect from FLASH GORDON is heard in ROAR OF THE LION (1981).

I'd really like to know where the music for CRIPPLED AVENGERS came from and most especially the music used for HEROIC ONES. That one, at least the opening theme, sounds like it was lifted from a spaghetti western. Speaking of the scores, the music that plays at the end of KILLER CONSTABLE when Chen Kuan Tai attacks the commander in his throne room was taken from the original KING KONG (1933).

What about Magic Blade and House of Traps? Is Magic Blade from an old spaghetti western?

Not sure about the music for BLADE. I'd have to watch it again. But Bey Logan says on the commentary that Ti Lung's character is modeled after Eastwood's Man With No Name character. Considering the Chu Yuan movies were taken from novels, I don't know if that's entirely accurate or not.

The main theme from the spaghetti western DAY OF ANGER (1969) is one of the most used themes and can be heard during the opening of INVINCIBLE ARMOR and also MONKEY FIST, FLOATING SNAKE among others. I don't recall any Shaw movies using it.

The awesome Shaw Brothers Spaghetti/kung fu hybrid THE FUGITIVE (1972) has music from Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and DUCK YOU SUCKER.

The TRAPS music is made up of stock tunes as well as MAD MAX music again. Someday posted a thread listing the names of the stock music used in the films a couple of years back.

Shaws raided De Wolfe Studio's library plenty, some nice themes coming out of there in the later Shaw flicks, those slightly funkier interludes you hear and stuff.

Where'd the One Armed Swordsman theme come from? Borrowed/original? Asked this across a number of forums before, never got an answer...

Speaking of New One Armed Swordsman did anyone else noticed totally different music from the new Celestial release and the old English dub. Anyone know why?

Speaking of New One Armed Swordsman did anyone else noticed totally different music from the new Celestial release and the old English dub. Anyone know why?

I'm going to assume the different audio tracks are the reason. HOLY FLAME has different music depending on whether you're watching the cantonese or mandarin track.

Also, I noticed the Chinese dub tracks (not the music) on ROAR OF THE LION are different. It seems the Cantonese track was used for the English dub as the voices match those on the US release.

Shaws raided De Wolfe Studio's library plenty, some nice themes coming out of there in the later Shaw flicks, those slightly funkier interludes you hear and stuff.

Where'd the One Armed Swordsman theme come from? Borrowed/original? Asked this across a number of forums before, never got an answer...

Not sure but it's possible it's lifted from an Italian film. So many of these borrowed cues from dozens of Euro movies (and US flicks) which may have been why Celestial did those synth tracks for these movies either that or to simply make them seem more like new productions.

One of the oddest cues was the 2001 music utilized for THE DUEL (1969). It's fine but seems a bit out of place. It was, IMO, one of the most "obvious" or easily recognizable themes heard in a Shaw film. Usually, they used more obscure (I use the term lightly) titles to lift music from.

I saw one of those Joseph Lai/Godrey Ho travesties that had music from STAR WARS, E.T., RE-ANIMATOR and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET(!) in the same film.

I remember another one...the HK release of WATER MARGIN uses extensively the main theme for the Eastwood movie HANG'EM HIGH (1968).

Some of Chang Cheh's early swordplay movies utilize cues from the savagely brutal and cruel Spaghetti Western THE GREAT SILENCE (1967). I think INVINCIBLE FIST (1969) is one and at least one other Chiang/Ti Lung movie, too but I can't remember which one right off hand.

oldeschool17

im gonna go on a mission and try to get all of the original scores that some of these shaw bros have lifted from. Be great to compile a lil cd of these

Where's the FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS music snatched from? It's such a great, distinctive soundtrack. Been wondering that for 22 years!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Damn.... im totally gonna get that cd... thanks for the heads up dude!

On a sidenote, being a Bond fan I always found it fun when shaws used the Bond music, and they usually did a good job with it.... as far as steal.... I mean borrowing and looping it!!

I had to come out of the woodworks for this one. I can't believe they are really making an official compilation I thought it was just a rumor. Can't wait to get it! I've been compiling Shaw Bros cues like a madman for the past couple of years. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested. Theres like 500 or so cues in all.

Archived